Lifeline question

BowmanMike

I don’t quite understand , the whole pull rope thing . Your life line is tied off above your stand and goes to the ground ,or close to it .

I had an advantage as I could get lines at work, when we took ropes out of service . Ropes are relatively cheap compared to say your bow, or well a hospital stay . Mine last many years, buy a hundred bucks worth of rope and be set for years .

That video above has some errors, first the line must be a greater diameter then the Prusik not from the same piece ,second don’t use slick nylon like that .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I don’t quite understand , the whole pull rope thing . Your life line is tied off above your stand and goes to the ground ,or close to it .

He would have to make one descent and one climb not attached. Probably not a good idea.

My point was to make some up and put one in each stand.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

You can buy rope by the foot from a store like EMS or REI.  The primary static line will cost around $1/ft and 30' should suffice.  The smaller diameter rope used for the prussik knot might run you another $3-$4.  For the reasons Nomad stated and then some, the benefits far outweigh the cost.

Edited by Jdubs
  • Like 1

A big chunk of seatbelt material with a rope attached was all I ever used in a treestand. That's not safe or recommended BTW. Then again I climbed trees with a chainsaw for several years. Lots of specialized gear. I'm sure I'm not the best person to be asking for safety advice unless you really want to get technical, and I don't even remember most of it now. If I didn't hit the ground in a bad way or didn't get hit by one of Wooly's carving logs I called it a good day. :pleasantry: It was a tough life, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Now I bruise or break ribs just falling down on my front porch. This whole getting old thing sucks. :sorry:

• Like 3

Most professional climbing gear is designed to prevent traumatic free-fall from high places. It's still on the user to not lose their grip on life to begin with. Consumer-type gear like hunters use is not like that. It's designed with the assumption that you're dumb enough to actually need it in the first place. I mean no offense here folks, and don't get me wrong. When you spend all day, every day in the tree-tops with a chainsaw you learn very quickly about how to stay alive. It's a big part of the curve. Right up there with "don't cut your ropes or tethers with the chainsaw". It's really just about always paying attention. Very few people seem to do that today. It's disturbing.

For someone who wants the basics on being in trees, using ropes and knots, etc, I would highly recommend a book called "The Tree Climber's Companion" by Jeff Jepson. It's about as basic as you can get without being childish. I think you can get it for less than ten bucks on Amazon, and probably cheaper than that on e-bay. It's an excellent overview of what it takes to safely stay in trees. Please be safe folks.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:56 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Just a couple days ago I placed an order for more safety lines, off eBay.  $86 for 3 lifelines shipped.

I usually make my own but I'm under the gun time wise. 

https://www.amazon.com/Muddy-MSA500-Muddy-Safe-Line/dp/B00TP7U48C

These came in the mail yesterday and I'm very pleased except for one thing.....the prussik hitches have reflective material woven into the material.  I guess that'll be OK for that ODD time I get all twisted up and can't find my stand.

18 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

These came in the mail yesterday and I'm very pleased except for one thing.....the prussik hitches have reflective material woven into the material.  I guess that'll be OK for that ODD time I get all twisted up and can't find my stand.

The picture i posted of mine ,the whole damn main line has that woven into it ,it looks absurd when you hit it with your flash light in the dark.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

The picture i posted of mine ,the whole damn main line has that woven into it ,it looks absurd when you hit it with your flash light in the dark.

What thread was that? I swear I saw you mention that somewhere but it wasn't here..........

On 10/6/2018 at 8:42 AM, philoshop said:

Most professional climbing gear is designed to prevent traumatic free-fall from high places. It's still on the user to not lose their grip on life to begin with. Consumer-type gear like hunters use is not like that. It's designed with the assumption that you're dumb enough to actually need it in the first place. I mean no offense here folks, and don't get me wrong. When you spend all day, every day in the tree-tops with a chainsaw you learn very quickly about how to stay alive. It's a big part of the curve. Right up there with "don't cut your ropes or tethers with the chainsaw". It's really just about always paying attention. Very few people seem to do that today. It's disturbing.

a lot can be avoided with common sense. I work on ladders and scaffolding a lot,so i feel pretty good about climbing a ladderstand or screw in steps or climbing sticks. Things do happen that we don't expect as well though,so better to be safe than sorry.

My muddy harness came with a prusik knot and a short length of rope maybe 5’. It didn’t make any sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a tree strap / linemens belt.

2 carabiners makes it a linemens.

Loop on one end and Prussic with biner and it's a tree strap. Great for use with a climber.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use lifelines on all 8 of my stands.

I have kids so I do it for them. And myself obviously.

I look at it as a pay to play situation.

Now I only buy millenium stands because they dont kill my tailbone. And they come with a lifeline in every box.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1