Why I've lost interest in hunting shows.

First-light

Well I haven't watched too many shows in the last year or so. So I tune into realtree roadtips, usually pretty good. It's a Texas hunt out of a ground blind.

The big one comes in, Wadell is saying it's behind a doe, behind a doe. It hits the clearing and bang, down goes the nose and it stops to eat whatever they placed there. He shots the deer 30 yards broadside, simple shot and goes on praising the bow he was shooting. I'm sure there are a lot of you out there watching this but to me I'd rather watch paint dry. Same goes for Bassmasters, used to love the show.

I don't care for most of the hunting shows . The outfitter / Guide sets up the stands in a spot that they can pretty much guarantee shooting a deer . The shooter gets the BUCK and spends over 5 minutes telling you what you just saw .......... He shoots it during daylight and plenty of times they recover it in the dark and the shooter is so elated when he finds his kill and high 5's everyone . Then they call for the guy with the ATV to come and get them .

How many times can you watch this crap !

Most of them are just crap anymore. All I can do is just sit there and shake my head and turn the channel. I was watching hank parker the other day and all I could think is he should have stuck to fishing shows. Was watching another show the other day i dont remember the name of it. But the guy had a big buck come in out of range of his muzzleloader. He just sat there and whinned about how he would love to shoot that deer but it was to far away. I was just sitting there like, I don't know maybe get down out of your stand and sneak over and shoot him then you stupid sh-- !!!! He didn't deserve to shoot such a nice buck for being so dumb any how.

I still can get a bit excited about a brown bear bow hunt or a good production on archery moose hunting, or any of the other more "exotic" animals that you just don't see that much. But the standard deer hunting show is just plain boring. There is nothing there that I haven't seen a thousand times before. Honestly, it is just like watching the same re-runs over and over. Different hunters ..... different deer ...... same results. In fact I do equate those deer hunting shows to the standard bass fishing show. Unless I am looking for a good couch-time nap, I never watch either anymore. The last deer hunting video that I actually enjoyed was Bowhunting October Whitetails by the Wentzels back somewhere in the 70's.

• Like 1

Ive gotten the same way, would rather watch one of the predator shows or one of the D&DH shows that talks about tactics and other aspects of deer and hunting rather than just show the typical hunter in a stand shooting the big buck stuff. Lee & Tiffany have become completely obnoxious to me, no matter how she looks. Get In The Game is a pretty good show.

These programs don't give the "average guy" anything he can use.  I'd like to see how these "pros" would do on state land in NY.  No ATV, no high fence, no spreading bait around under the stand and/or hunting over a bait plot made up of non-indigenous plants.  And of course, no $10,000 fee just to walk onto the place.

C'mon boys - walk yourself a mile in on some old Catskill trail, read the sign, adjust for the other hunters that will be out there, and let's see how good a "hunter" you really are......

Tred Barta was pretty good . It shows some of his missed shots which others don't . Saw him shooting at geese with his recurve and he took a couple .

I can't get the channel they are on but I liked the "Team Fitzgerald" ( dan & Guy ). They shoot instinctive and with fingers with their compounds .

Hank Parker and C'mere Deer ...... get out of here !!!

I agree with doc, the last good videos were by whitetail visions back in late 70's early 80's taught tactics and showed them in use.. i still pull them out once or twice a year and use the things they taught to this day. Modern shows are watch me and then use this product and you can do this too!! I'd rather spend my time looking out the window watching the local deer herd feed in the hayfields.....

I recorded one last week that I recently watched. A guy shot at a nice buck and I could clearly see that he hit 2-3" below the spine above the guts. I thought, Good luck tracking that one! He got down and both he and his guide looked at the arrow and said it was a "clean miss" and both commented that it is a lot better than a bad hit. My jaw dropped, as I clearly saw the arrow hit 2-3" below the spine! I rewound the recording and watched it ~10x, in slow motion, and clearly saw the arrow hit the deer. That drove me NUTS!! If they were going to flat out LIE about the bad hit, then they should have edited out the shot!

I agree with doc, the last good videos were by whitetail visions back in late 70's early 80's taught tactics and showed them in use.. i still pull them out once or twice a year and use the things they taught to this day. Modern shows are watch me and then use this product and you can do this too!! I'd rather spend my time looking out the window watching the local deer herd feed in the hayfields.....

I totally agree.  I watched a few shows on the Versus channel to gain a few tips.  All I saw were people "killing" animals and taught me nothing.

I bought a video from http://www.real-hunting.com/ and found it to be much more helpful for a beginner like me.  Its just follows two average guys going through 2 seasons of hunting and they show everything including their misses and their mistakes.  One of them even had their tree stand stolen.  It gave me a real sense of what hunting is really like.

Hi guys!

It's amazing how many folks feel the same way re: many of today's hunting shows and dvd's. If you have a chance, check out my trailer for last years season 1 trailer - Filming America's Hunters. One at a Time. I filmed two NY hunters and we hunted in Orange, Dutchess and Delaware counties during the late season.

I film regular hunters like us on state or private land.

http://www.huntography.com/2010-huntographers/

This fall, I'll be filming more regular folks in 12 states.

Rudy

Yep, most of those shows are just half hour commercials.  Look at my Scent Blocker suit, Nikon Binoculars, Matthews Bow, Thompson Center gun, Real Tree Camo, etc.  Then they take a break for a bunch of commercials from all their sponsors.  All they show is 3 min of hunting where the deer comes in and they either have a shot or they don't.  Rarely will they show you WHY they are hunting a particular stand, or the surrounding conditions and the decision making process.  That would actually be helpful, you don't need ANY of the brand names they are advertising.

I do like some of the deer and deer hunting stuff though. 

Deer Infomercials are what some of the extreme ones are.

I enjoy seeing the story - before, during and after. The small things.

D&DH is good. They are different. They actually help you learn something about deer hunting. Love em. Oh, and they are from West NY as well. Good stuff.

Rudy

Thanks Toruk!

I was supposed to film in NY again this fall but I only have so many days off from work that I could use :)

Pretty cool vids, The guy asking if the other guys scent lok working and him sayin I still smell like sh-- and The guy in his underware at camp were priceless!!! Will take a look, you might be on to something here.

Thanks Toruk!

I was supposed to film in NY again this fall but I only have so many days off from work that I could use :)

Pretty cool vids, The guy asking if the other guys scent lok working and him sayin I still smell like sh-- and The guy in his underware at camp were priceless!!! Will take a look, you might be on to something here.

Thanks erussell! The only people I have to please is you, the hunter. So it's raw and unfiltered. Heck, the deer camp experience and chatter that happens is what I love. It's what I remember as a kid in our Ulster County deer camp. The older folks playing cards, telling stories and the younger ones reading hunting magazines and talking about where they were gonna hunt. Precious memories.

I hope you get a chance to watch the whole thing one day.

I also stopped watching the hunting shows.

I realy enjoyed Tred Barta.

I could not take watching another show with an 8 year old girl in a box blind passing up a 10 pointer because it was too young.

I agree that the shows are all just advertisements.

Cancelled the cable shows and feel much less stressed or frustrated.

Someone mentioned the video - October Whitetails. I still have it and still watch it.

They don't make them like that anymore.

I use to enjoy Peter Fiducia's woods and water show but it went off to the cable world and I lost track of it.

I love the horse coming into the bleat.Great video thanks for posting.

Thanks ny hunter! I almost fell out of my tree when that horse came into the bleat call over and over again. I never seen that, ever. To give it some context, it was early December of last hunting season during a cold morning hunt. Out of all the horses on the farm next door, that one somehow got out. Since I had already spooked what I think was a buck in pre-dawn darkness with the light from my iPhone screen, and nothing else was moving, I asked Gasper, the hunter i was filming to try and call him in w/ the grunt call.

He did but the horse did not respond to the grunt call at all. Then he bleated. That's when he came in. It was a fun time in the woods. It's times like these that I cherish. Even though we didn't get a deer that morning, this was by far a great hunting memory that will stay w/ me forever.

PS - No, we don't hunt horses in case anyone was wondering ;)

- Rudy

I also stopped watching the hunting shows.

I realy enjoyed Tred Barta.

I could not take watching another show with an 8 year old girl in a box blind passing up a 10 pointer because it was too young.

I agree that the shows are all just advertisements.

Cancelled the cable shows and feel much less stressed or frustrated.

Someone mentioned the video - October Whitetails. I still have it and still watch it.

They don't make them like that anymore.

I use to enjoy Peter Fiducia's woods and water show but it went off to the cable world and I lost track of it.

Hi Warren!

I still watch all the hunting shows and buy some dvd's but I do it mainly to see what I should NOT be doing when I film hunters. Yes, there are some things that are interesting, but I agree, some of the stuff they put on like the 8 year olds who sit in a blind on a super managed ranch where they know all the deer's names and what time they come out is a tad bit unrealistic.

I just watched  Bowhunting October Whitetails 1 & 2 the other day, again. I watched it because there is something pure about it. It's not an infomercial. I'm taking all this great feedback from you guys and incorporating it into what I do this season and beyond.

Thanks for your time!

- Rudy