Hunting License

Dave

I just got my NR Pennsylvania license in the mail yesterday. I bought  it online. Very convenient and saves me the $$ for gas to drive down across the border and get it.

They start accepting NR antlerless permit July 25th.

I just got my NR Pennsylvania license in the mail yesterday. I bought  it online. Very convenient and saves me the $$ for gas to drive down across the border and get it.

OK... I missed something.. what happens September 5th???

Dan-

I ordered mine today via the internet.  How quick did yours come??

IIRC, they get them out PDQ??

Larry..I ordered mine on a Monday and it came the next Monday.

You should get yours next Thursday or Friday, just in time to fill out your antlerless permit and get it in the mail to arrive the 25th...

Also, in case you didn't see my post below, if you are interested in a bear tag, bear season is open this year the whole first week of deer rifle season in 3A. You have to get your bear tag prior to the season.

Thanks Dan.  Very interesting on the bear tag deal,  3A is my area but I've never seen a bear during rifle/buck season in the particular area I'm hunting now. (the past 10 years or so)  When I hunted closer towards Tioga, I saw quite a few bears.

Think I'll see one THIS year if I don't buy a tag??

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Carry on gentleman.

Well... If you DON'T see one, you have only wasted 35.50 ( or thereabouts) on a NR bear tag... If you'd like a bear, I think that it might be worth the price of a tag JUST IN CASE..

On the property that I hunt, I have seen several bears, including a couple BIG ones, that I could have shot while hunting deer...However, I have no need for a bear...Don't much care to eat them, and don't have room/desire for a rug or mount...

I shot one bear 12 or so years ago, a dink.  The tanned hide hangs at my uncle's cabin in Naples, the skull is here at the shack.  I'd love to shoot a big one, 400lbs+  but I really don't know what I'd do with it.

O.K., I'll get a tag. <grin>

That's the one reason why I have never gone on a bear hunt. What would I do with it. I have this mental hang-up that relates eating bear meat to eating dog. And a bear-skin rug or wall hanging just simply does not go with the home decor. Besides, from what I understand the only effective way to get a bear is baiting. That is illegal in NYS and also a form of hunting that I don't care to be involved with. So the only way that I could ever get a bear would be by pure blind luck if one happened to walk in front of me while I was deer huinting or something. Not a whole lot to brag about with that scenario is there? ;)

I have to agree with you Doc.  I have tasted bear meet and didnt care for it at all. Been asked to go on a few bear hunts in the past and did go but just in hopes of seeing one and tagging a deer.  Its pretty hard for a novice bear hunter to get a bear in bow range let alone see one in NY.  Of course unless your in old forge camping or something lol.

I've had sausage made from a fall bear and can say it was certainly as good as the sausage I had made with Canadian Goose ;D  Really, it was pretty good. 

I'd be more concerned about finding room on a wall for a huge rug than the meat. 

Hunting a food source for a bear like an apple orchard can be effective with archery gear.

Having helped a friend drag a bear out ( 300 lbs of jelly) and nearly having a heart attack in the endeavor, I will pass despite having having several opportunities over the years to kill a bear.I too have also tasted  bear meat and really do not care for it. The trophy aspect of having a bear mount does not thrill me either.

Good luck to any one who shooots a bear, please do not ask me to help you drag it out if i am hunting with you.

Hehehehe... I have cooked a lot of game meat, and my experience with bear meat has been MOSTLY neutral or negative, with one exception..

A few years back, before I retired, I often cooked up fish and game and took it into work for my co-workers.  I roasted beaver, cooked squirrel and rabbit, moose, caribou, venison, snapping turtle, turkey, ducks, geese and barn pigeons..

One day a co-worker told me that his son had shot a bear and wanted me to cook up a bear roast to bring into work...

I told him that my experience with cooking bear meat had resulted in MEDIOCRE results at best, and that some had been far LESS than mediocre. He wanted me to give a try anyway, so I did...

He gave me a STANDING RIB ROAST ( AKA prime rib) from a black bear that had been living in a PA cornfield for a couple of months.. I roasted it and it was EXCELLENT.. Everyone raved about it.. It was as good as any game meat I have ever had..

That was the only bear meat I have ever had that was really GOOD, and I suspect it was because it was corn fed and shot, relatively unalarmed the first day of season.  I suspect that it was also promptly skinned and cooled as a meat animal should be, rather than hanging around with the skin on for several days, as I suspect many bears are..