How to sell a gun

Robhuntandfish

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Never sold a gun with a private sale. How do I do this?   Assuming have to go thru FFL but does this have to be in person?  Or can be done by mail etc?  Anything additional I should know?  What is usual charge for FFL?   

Thanks

I am not the expert, but tell you what I know. If shipping, the gun gets dropped off at a ffl, they ship it to a second ffl near buyer, that ffl gives gun to buyer. you take care of payment for gun directly, not through ffl. ffl's charge what they want, anywhere from like $35 to $65 each end. Best deal, if they still do it, is to use Gander World as the ffl, shipping from and to a a Gander World store, if that is convenient for both buyer and seller. I did it with Gander Mountain years ago. It was cheaper that way. I would assume Cabela's would also work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I am in the process myself, selling a shotgun to a friend. Im going to have him come the FFL with me. They charge $30 at Natures Prize in Akron

Was going to go to my local gun shop and see about selling , but was also thinking about listing here on the forum next weekend.  But if someone wasn't close that wanted to buy it, didn't know how that was done.  

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Was going to go to my local gun shop and see about selling , but was also thinking about listing here on the forum next weekend.  But if someone wasn't close that wanted to buy it, didn't know how that was done.  

You will have to take it to an FFL and they will ship it to the FFL the buyer chooses, probably $30-$35 on each end

• Thanks 1

I sure miss the days of selling for cash trade  and a hand shake.Its gotten crazy so when I have one to sell I just put in the shop fill out some paper work and pay consingment.

Edited by Dom
  • Like 2

over the past year or so I needed to raise some funds to pay for last falls moose hunt. There was plenty of iron that was never getting used or was duplicate, so I thinned the herd.

As we all know, selling to a gun shop you take a real killing. The last time I tried to do that, I was offered on the average about 1/4 the going price....and what I was looking at was for similar used guns in other shops, etc. not the jacked up price of online.

I decided to try Hessney Auctions, near Waterloo. I had been referred to them by others. They are an FFL , dealer, and periodically through the year run sportsmans/ firearms auctions. My guns were photographed and listed on line. They handle all the paperwork. They will sell for the going price of high bid on that day....sometimes you do real well, sometimes you miss the mark a bit, but overall I have been pleased with the result. Do not expect them to sell for the prices you see on "buy now" Gun Broker, and usually they are not "steal" prices. If you don't have someone interested in what you have that day, you may be disappointed. If you have something someone just has to have, you can get a foolish great price for them.

Among my sales:

A new in the box Lyman Great Plains pistol....50 bucks. Obviously a rotten price, but all muzzleloaders seemed to be going for similar prices.

My Beretta 92 sold for what I paid for it: 590.00 (remember, commission still comes out).

My Remington Wingmaster slug gun, refinished stock well used condition, 250.oo.

They do get a stiff commission on the selling price (paid by the seller), but the bottom line was I was satisfied with the total of what I got (for the total of the guns, I was hoping to raise 3000.oo total, and did so within a few dollars. I would use them again if situation warranted, and My wife has been instructed on using their services if something happens to me and she needs to sell the guns. 

Honestly speaking, if I had a long gun that an individual well known to me wanted, ...who would know the difference if we handled it the old fashioned way?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Goosifier explained it well. Do deal on here, take gun to your FFL, they will ship to buyers FFL, buyer picks up there. If the buyer is close to you, you can meet at the same FFL to make the transfer. There will be FFL and shipping charges involved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I agree heartily, although, as you all well know, I NEVER do anything illegal....

If it was purchased after background checks were implemented then there is a record of you owning it unlike older guns.  In that case, better to have a record of an FFL transfer when sold just in case.