Another Reason To Hate Coyotes

Steve D

A little over a week ago while standing at the kitchen sink with the window closed; I heard a coyote howl & bark.

I knew it was close and had to be in the yard. I have also seen tracks in the yard less than 50 yards from the house when we had snow.

We have a small jack russell and while she is real feisty she wouldn’t stand a chance against a coyote. I had planned to run some traps this fall but due to the wet weather, lots of snow and cold, plus a significant amount of deer hunting I didn’t get any traps out.

I have been watching the weather pretty close and even though it wasn’t going to be ideal conditions decided to give it a try. I went out last Friday and put 14 canine sets out.

The first day I only had one sprung trap. The second day I caught two possums and a red fox. When I pulled up on the set I could see the fox was dead. As you can see from the pictures it was destroyed by coyotes and never had a chance.

With snow, rain, and ice on the way I doubt I will have much success but will leave the traps out until the cold sets in later in the week and hope I can catch one or two of those destructive beasts.

IMG_20190107_103055[1].jpg

IMG_20190107_103119[1].jpg

My Jack went to to toe with a yote. They never fought thankfully, but she had the fortitude to hold her ground against a big dog. I was right there for the whole thing, running a chainsaw. This yote came up on us early spring and had no fear of me or the chainsaw. My lesson was learned to always take a gun out !! When I got back to the house I grabbed a gun and went back out. Snow showed she watched us go back to the house then followed our tracks for awhile.

Kill em all

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I shoot everyone I see around my house.  Regardless of time of year.  Lost chickens, cats, and my neighbor had a pair that attacked his older dog.  Came into his yard this summer while he was mowing the lawn.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I shoot everyone I see around my house.  Regardless of time of year.  Lost chickens, cats, and my neighbor had a pair that attacked his older dog.  Came into his yard this summer while he was mowing the lawn.  

Shame you shoot everyone, some people are good. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I shoot everyone I see around my house.  Regardless of time of year.

I may have to result to the same thing. I try to do things by the seasons and legally but they are doing  to much damage close to the house.  If they were to get the dog I would be so pissed.

Hell today I already broke the law by open carrying when I checked my traps and tomorrow I may carry a rifle on the four wheeler.( but I won't shoot from it):wink:

fawn.jpg

1-2019red.jpg

• Sad 1

S.S.S........24/7........365........or your property gets over run with them. 
NYS should really have year round open season for them.

They sure will. And it will take a couple years of destroying the young of the year before you get great results. Find Their Den!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet some very clueless people want to bring the Eurasian Boar into this state to hunt. One menace to wildlife is enough!

I have spoken my piece about these creatures, I no longer hate them, but I still understand what they can do to a turkey population, and a deer population given the chance.

Yet some very clueless people want to bring the Eurasian Boar into this state to hunt. One menace to wildlife is enough!
I have spoken my piece about these creatures, I no longer hate them, but I still understand what they can do to a turkey population, and a deer population given the chance.
More Eurasian boar roaming wild! More hunting targets of delicious meats!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last night was pouring rain & 40 mph winds, right now it is thunder,  lightning, & rain with 40 mph winds forecasted for tonight, Snow on the way for tomorrow, temps going from the teens yesterday, 40's today, then back in the 20's.

I had two dug out traps this morning. Hard to keep them going in these kind of extremes. I'll leave them for tonight and probably pull them tomorrow while I can still get them out of the ground.

The coyotes win again:angry:. I had to pull them this morning. Water laying everywhere and half the trap beds and bait/lure holes were full of water. No sense in leaving them out and having them freeze solid so I pulled the plug. Need to have to a week or so with stable weather before I try again. These up and down temperatures with rain, then snow then back to rain aren't cutting it.

I'll just to have to get the caller ready and see if I can suck one in to a dying rabbit and hope these 20-40 winds eventually die down.

Good luck to those hanging in there and sticking with it.

Edited by Steve D

• 3 weeks later...