New NULA is here!!

Finally... Picked it up last weekend and shot almost a box through it.  7m-08. Less recoil on my shoulder than my soon to be retired Savage 30-06.  Its nice to shoot. I can carry it easier with shoulder issues than my Savage. I am still getting used to shooting and working on my groupings. I am going to clean it tonight. I want to make sure I am doing things 100% correct with this fine weapon. I see you can ruin the accuracy of rifles if you don't clean properly. I am still fairly new to rifles. I have looked at some videos, read some things but  have not found a perfect writeup or a perfect video. Anyone have a link?

IMG_20190105_191729175.thumb.jpg.d80494fa70479a1b129cde6efd7e3167.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Finally... Picked it up last weekend and shot almost a box through it.  7m-08. Less recoil on my shoulder than my soon to be retired Savage 30-06.  Its nice to shoot. I can carry it easier with shoulder issues than my Savage. I am still getting used to shooting and working on my groupings. I am going to clean it tonight. I want to make sure I am doing things 100% correct with this fine weapon. I see you can ruin the accuracy of rifles if you don't clean properly. I am still fairly new to rifles. I have looked at some videos, read some things but  have not found a perfect writeup or a perfect video. Anyone have a link?

IMG_20190105_191729175.thumb.jpg.d80494fa70479a1b129cde6efd7e3167.jpg

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=otis+gun+cleaning+instructions&&view=detail&mid=11897F797397E6A4B41511897F797397E6A4B415&&FORM=VRDGAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kLcSxehrqM 

first video of a series.

Gunwerks shoot long range hunting scenarios many times at well over 1k yards and any accuracy loss they'd know. also they sell "shooting systems" and rifles, so they wouldn't tell you how to clean it wrong because they'll get unhappy customers who paid a lot of money for average accuracy.  i do basically the same thing. bore guide is machined metal with threaded teflon ends, brushes are synthetic bristle, and cleaning rod is a one piece coated one from Bore-tech. lots of good cleaners out there for different uses. pick the one you're happy with that does the same thing as in the vid.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I just looked as unfamiliar with this brand. $3500?!  

Its kinda like optics, until you use and actually have field time with a great rifle, hard to justify price.

You'll fall off the bar stool at the Goat if you look up the following rifle maker. LOL

To OP....I have posted this before, Kenny Jarrett knows a thing or two about accurate rifles and this is what I use on mine and other makes I own.

You'll find a great barrel has been hand lapped and is much easier to clean right to the bore. They have far less of the scratches in the machine work when making the barrel then production guns. Pay attention to that time on Sweets, longer is NOT better and I like a wet patch of SC to make sure the Sweets is all gone. Especially if shooting monolithic copper, you'll end up squeaky clean.

RIFLE CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS 
1. Run 1 patch, wet with Shooter’s Choice, through the bore. 
2. Wet a brush with Shooter’s Choice, then run it through the bore approximately 10 times. 
3. Run 2 patches with Shooter’s Choice again to clean out any dirt left from brushing it out, then run 2 dry patches through again to dry the bore. 
4. Run 2 patches sopping wet of Sweet’s solvent through the bore and let stand for approximately 10-15 minutes. 
5. Run 2 dry patches through the bore to dry after Sweet’s solvent. 
6. If the patches come out with a fair amount of green (melted copper), a second brushing with Shooter’s Choice is recommended. 
7. Swab out the chamber with a bore mop. 
8. Apply Shooter’s Choice tube grease to the rear of locking lugs of bolt and a dab on the helix curve, on the rear of the bolt (cocking cam). 

TRIGGER MAINTENANCE 
The following procedure should be done at every other cleaning or when the rifle has been exposed to a lot of moisture. 
1. Place the rifle in a padded vise at a horizontal position, remove the bolt and squirt lighter fluid into the trigger, letting it drip out of the bottom. 
2. Reinstall the bolt and dry fire several times; this whole procedure should be performed at least twice. 
3. Let the lighter fluid evaporate, then reinstall bolt. 
4. Caution – do not substitute the lighter fluid with any other solvent, the lighter fluid washes away moisture and foreign material, and leaves a microscopic lube coating. 

• Like 1

Well I'll be dipped, another lefty NULA and in 7mm-08.............how long was your wait?  Reloading for it or factory fodder?  Looks like a 3.5-10 Leupold? 

Have we PM,d back & forth on these guns? (I think so)

Same gun and chambering.  I sure do like mine........

TCihS09.jpg

Make sure you use a quality cleaning rod/brushes/jag and bore guide!!

https://deweyrods.com/product-category/gun-cleaning-individual-rods/nylon-coated/

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/lucas-custom-bore-guides/

Sinclair is a great source for quality stuff.....

https://www.sinclairintl.com/

Edited by Lawdwaz

Thanks everyone!!  I hit the range again and my groupings still need work.  I am doing factory loads right now but my hunting buddy reloads 308 and 243. i'm going to get him a 7m-08 die so he can reload some for me.  Recipes?????

I shot nearly another box through it saturday. Last shot my shoulder screamed at me and told me it was done.  I was consistently high at 100 yards, which is good as its sighted for 200. I was left and right more than is acceptable in my opinion.

Yes on the scope though sadly at 200 yards I am unimpressed.  Not sure what I am going to do. I may send back to Leupold and ask if this is the way it is or this one is defective. Maybe I need to play with the eye piece.  I ordered this sept 2018. A year and 4 months about.  Melvin seems OK but I assume the gentleman is getting tired. He said something like "I am wearing all the hats."

I went back and fourth on this gun so many times for so long. Worth it or not.. My wife got a brand new dream kitchen and a brand new Jeep. That tipped the scale for me. Its a great gun so far. I am going porky pig hunting this spring on a canned hunt in Tioga. Been waiting to do this hunt until my NULA was ready. Now its time.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:32 AM, Al Bundy said:

Thanks everyone!!  I hit the range again and my groupings still need work.  I am doing factory loads right now but my hunting buddy reloads 308 and 243. i'm going to get him a 7m-08 die so he can reload some for me.  Recipes?????

Here are some load prediction with a 59K chamber pressure ceiling. Bullet is Nosler 140gr Ballistic Tip and OAL is SAAMI standard 2.800". It would behoove you to find what OAL puts the ogive just ff the lands and load to that if your magazine will accommodate that length. As usual reduce by 10% and work your way up.

I use a compressed load if Alliant RL 17 with great results

vYhSXXm.png

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

I'm currently using the Barnes 120 grain TTSX bullets in my 7mm-08 handloads.  They offer a little more velocity with excellent penetration and 100% weight retention.  They are about the same OAL as the 140 grain ballistic tips I was using and are just as accurate in my rifle when held to the same cartridge OAL.  I don't notice any better effectiveness on whitetail over the ballistic tips, but I feel they would work better on larger game like moose, elk and even black bear, if I decide to hunt them with the 7mm-08.