Asking Permission

rotorooter23

Need a little opinion on what you guys think this means when I asked my neighbor for permission to hunt outback.

I recently had purchased a house with land with about 30 acres or so. The property bordering me is about 150 acres or so give or take. I have met the land owner several times and have had great conversation with him. I was looking to seek permission to turkey hunt only as I know he likes to whitetail hunt and didn't want to overstep my boundaries.  I had asked if it was okay if he cared if I walked along the logging roads to hunt turkey out back. His reply was that he does turkey hunt a little but usually doesn't get out much. He told me where he typically hears the birds and said come spring we can deconflict times and places during the spring. 

I am taking this as yes go-ahead as long as I am not hunting and we don't run into each other when he does hunt.  I also mentioned if he needed any help like posting, etc I am always willing to help and offered to hunt together. His reply was sounds good.

What do you think? I am trying to be respectful and not overstep my boundaries. 

Edited by rotorooter23
  • Like 5

Probably wont work out in the long run.

I just came out of a very similar situation where I had previously been granted FULL permission.

Turned out I was using the landowners property more than he was up to the point that we started bumping into one another nearly every time one of us stepped foot in his woods.

Long story short, he informed me last year of some logging and posting, and ownership change of hands that would be going on in the future and gave me the opportunity to retrieve any stands I had hung before some changes took place.

That was just the least confrontational and friendly way of saying he'd like to have his property to himself which is totally understandable in my book so have to respect that. When someone beats around the bush like that without giving you a definitive answer, I think you can take that as a... "I'd prefer you didn't hunt my property, and this is the nicest way to break it to ya".

JMO of course, but it's not the first and wont be the last experience I've had like that I'm sure.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, rotorooter23 said:

Need a little opinion on what you guys think this means when I asked my neighbor for permission to hunt outback.

I recently had purchased a house with land with about 30 acres or so. The property bordering me is about 150 acres or so give or take. I have met the land owner several times and have had great conversation with him. I was looking to seek permission to turkey hunt only as I know he likes to whitetail hunt and didn't want to overstep my boundaries.  I had asked if it was okay if he cared if I walked along the logging roads to hunt turkey out back. His reply was that he does turkey hunt a little but usually doesn't get out much. He told me where he typically hears the birds and said come spring we can deconflict times and places during the spring. 

I am taking this as yes go-ahead as long as I am not hunting and we don't run into each other when he does hunt.  I also mentioned if he needed any help like posting, etc I am always willing to help and offered to hunt together. His reply was sounds good.

What do you think? I am trying to be respectful and not overstep my boundaries. 

I wold call him or go see him and suggest that you two get together on opening day and see if you both can score a bird. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wooly said:

Probably wont work out in the long run.

I just came out of a very similar situation where I had previously been granted FULL permission.

Turned out I was using the landowners property more than he was up to the point that we started bumping into one another nearly every time one of us stepped foot in his woods.

Long story short, he informed me last year of some logging and posting, and ownership change of hands that would be going on in the future and gave me the opportunity to retrieve any stands I had hung before some changes took place.

That was just the least confrontational and friendly way of saying he'd like to have his property to himself which is totally understandable in my book so have to respect that. When someone beats around the bush like that without giving you a definitive answer, I think you can take that as a... "I'd prefer you didn't hunt my property, and this is the nicest way to break it to ya".

JMO of course, but it's not the first and wont be the last experience I've had like that I'm sure.

I hear ya there! Luckily I do have some other good spots. This one is just nice and conveniant as it is right out my back door and extends my hunting range as I like to walk and talk. The goal is to hopefully not over-use it. He does live quite a ways away and don't think he will be hunting much which probably will help my case. I def will use your experience to help mine! Thanks Wooly!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Maybe wait til the season starts ,tell him you heard the birds over in a certain spot on his property but you weren't just gonna go on his land to go after them ,I think his response will be your answer.

I like this approach. That's a great way of getting a 'definite yes'.

Years ago, a spit and handshake secured the deal. These days, I would get something in writing if you are unsure of the situation. That's just me, but I don't want to be on someones land who doesn't really want me there.

• Like 1

This situation needs a lot of super, sensitive diplomacy to work out to your benefit!!!!! Offer up help, aide in turkey hunting &/or calling, be very clear permission will NOT be abused by your friends/family or NEVER into deer season, blah, blah, blah........

Gotta look at the opposite side of this coin, the landowner's situation! Been in the landowner's shoes and if a definitive line in the sand isn't drawn, things get blurry and abuse too easily ensues. People have a very different perspective of owning land in today's world than decades ago. In large part due to those that have asked permission or merely assumed it's okay and then abuse the privilege. Making every situation unique for both parties!!!

Like ROB said, if only handshakes or someone's word had real meaning any more!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...