ATbuckhunter

Unique still hunting idea

Recommended Posts

Why not just saddle up and hunt from a horse?  I always wanted to give that a try.  Rode 14 miles back into the ADK on a horse once during the deer/bear ML week in October, but didn't have the gun on the horse when riding.  The outfitter packed them on a mule drawn cart behind us.  Didn't see any deer while mounted either, or else I would have tested the theory and see if they would spook.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Im going to try it. I found a cardboard cut out from walmart for 40 bucks. Worst that can happen is it doesnt work and I spook some doe. I tried stalking deer on that property many times, but the open orchard doesnt let me get closer than 60 yards anyway so I might as well try it right? If it doesnt work than I stop using it, but it would be really cool if it does. 

Im thinking I would have to circle down wind and approach them in a diagonal way so they dont think im coming straight at them 

You may want to figure out how to get some horse sent on the thing should help or just any masking sent to confuse them long enough for you to get close 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Why not just saddle up and hunt from a horse?  I always wanted to give that a try.  Rode 14 miles back into the ADK on a horse once during the deer/bear ML week in October, but didn't have the gun on the horse when riding.  The outfitter packed them on a mule drawn cart behind us.  Didn't see any deer while mounted either, or else I would have tested the theory and see if they would spook.

 

I don't have the most expereince riding a horse so I wouldnt feel comfortable shooting from a horse. I may just try that if the neighbors allow me to borrow a horse. 

 

37 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You may want to figure out how to get some horse sent on the thing should help or just any masking sent to confuse them long enough for you to get close 

 

I was thinking of either leaving it in the neighbors barn or just circling down wind. Usually when they circle down wind like that, theyre typically in range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dismount when you shoot and slide the rifle over the saddle.  Make sure the horse isn't gun shy first though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Dismount when you shoot and slide the rifle over the saddle.  Make sure the horse isn't gun shy first though.

 

The plan is to use this for bow season actually. I can usually get with in 150 yards when im rifle hunting, so I dont really need this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

those deer are conditioned to not fear the horses. also i don't think they get off the horse ever. plus no guns. there's a lot going on to make that work like it does.  illegal to shoot from and not too exciting but i can drive the farm tractors almost right up to much of the deer that are around the farm.  they've known it for years and don't associate it with danger.  it's all relative.

  • Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

That would be one small ,low to,the ground horse to hide behind . Nice outside the box thinking , but I’m not getting behind any type of brown decoy thing in NYS during gun season .

new john wick 3 movie he used a horse in a city police stable to take out a handful of bad guys. it was a movie but being around a farm and knowing how much damage a kick could do i wouldn't want to be near any horse while shooting a gun or with gun fire around.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just edited my post didn’t know he was talking bow . I owned a pony and my sisters a horse while we were growing my up , the farm I hunt boards horses as well ,although I’m not much of a knowledgeable horse guy ,been chased by a few though .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I just edited my post didn’t know he was talking bow . I owned a pony and my sisters a horse while we were growing my up , the farm I hunt boards horses as well ,although I’m not much of a knowledgeable horse guy ,been chased by a few though .

I may not be the brightest out there, but I also wouldnt take it our during rifle season. Too many guys out there who dont pay attention to do that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I had thoughts of putting up a couple sheets of plywood and pasting a big truck billboard picture on it then cutting out the window and using it for a blind . When I had my Chevy S-10 , I would see deer walk past my truck where I parked in a field . It never bothered the deer as they probably thought of it a farm equipment . 

Is it illegal to shoot a bow out of a vehicle? I went to a 3d shoot where they had a door and seat set up,but you have to sit on the passenger seat to shoot out the drivers window. It sure messed with my form...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I just edited my post didn’t know he was talking bow . I owned a pony and my sisters a horse while we were growing my up , the farm I hunt boards horses as well ,although I’m not much of a knowledgeable horse guy ,been chased by a few though .

Lol I was chased by a neighbors horse walking out while bowhunting once. I ran didnt know horse.... I ran about 40 yds and jumped over a fence and was good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya I used to cut through a cow pasture, those F@#$ers would come right after me ...... don’t know if they thought I was going to feed them or what . 

My wife born and raised on dairy farm ,would laugh at me the city boy .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Is it illegal to shoot a bow out of a vehicle? I went to a 3d shoot where they had a door and seat set up,but you have to sit on the passenger seat to shoot out the drivers window. It sure messed with my form...

It is Illegal to shoot from a motorized vehicle . If someone could start a non existent engine on a Truck Billboard God bless him ! :rolleyes:



97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that company that sells the mirror blind thing still in business  same concept I think I saw a video of someone using one of them to get real close to a deer one time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not believe it is the outline of the horse that makes deer feel safe it is the pattern of the foot steps and easy nature of the horse that seems to relax deer.  They also do not seem to acknowledge that a person is on the horse and seem to pay more attention to the animal.  

Personally I would not use anything that might look like a deer in the woods even during bow season.  A horse could be real easy to mistake for a deer, the outline and color are very similar.  Goes back to Identify then place shot but we all know how that first step can be skipped in the heat of the moment especially when "I have a tag for anything" (brown and down) hunters. 

 

Storm914 Yes they are called Ghost blinds and work awesome!  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

I do not believe it is the outline of the horse that makes deer feel safe it is the pattern of the foot steps and easy nature of the horse that seems to relax deer.  They also do not seem to acknowledge that a person is on the horse and seem to pay more attention to the animal.  

Personally I would not use anything that might look like a deer in the woods even during bow season.  A horse could be real easy to mistake for a deer, the outline and color are very similar.  Goes back to Identify then place shot but we all know how that first step can be skipped in the heat of the moment especially when "I have a tag for anything" (brown and down) hunters. 

 

Storm914 Yes they are called Ghost blinds and work awesome!  

Definitely would not be a good idea  on heavily used public land  opening day unless you are suicidal lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

I do not believe it is the outline of the horse that makes deer feel safe it is the pattern of the foot steps and easy nature of the horse that seems to relax deer.  They also do not seem to acknowledge that a person is on the horse and seem to pay more attention to the animal.  

Personally I would not use anything that might look like a deer in the woods even during bow season.  A horse could be real easy to mistake for a deer, the outline and color are very similar.  Goes back to Identify then place shot but we all know how that first step can be skipped in the heat of the moment especially when "I have a tag for anything" (brown and down) hunters. 

 

Storm914 Yes they are called Ghost blinds and work awesome!  

Decoys(the deer looking ones) are a tried and true method during archery. Can be quite entertaining. Never once have I been concerned on usage, other than spooking that one in wrong time of season. Not sure if you are looking for better chance of success or making it as difficult as possible, but seems being spotted and stalking with card board horse would be high on difficulty scale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharyn's 11-3-07007.jpg

Sharyn's 11-3-07006.jpg

PA250003.jpg

  • Like 1


97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 9:38 AM, NFA-ADK said:

I do not believe it is the outline of the horse that makes deer feel safe it is the pattern of the foot steps and easy nature of the horse that seems to relax deer.  They also do not seem to acknowledge that a person is on the horse and seem to pay more attention to the animal.  

If that’s the case, coconuts may be the ticket. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol good one Left Field!  One of the tricks some of us have used is going heel to toe, imitating a walking deer, it does work when not in view.  Purposely making it noisy as to imitate a walking deer. 1-2, 3-4  , 1-2, 3-4 the cadence is very specific and we have all heard it when they approach.  Believe it was posted on here by another member.  Have used it a few times when deer are close but can not see me.  Works till they see you, the expression on there face is funny!  What are you doing here sounding like a deer? This is usually the impression I get before they bust out of the area lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are heavy, and if it rains or snows forget it, you won't even be able to lift the weapon up

They can work if you move slow and wind is in your favor 
download.jpeg-4.jpg.beda4571107a6d6d0522756304bea43e.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TACC said:

They are heavy, and if it rains or snows forget it, you won't even be able to lift the weapon up

 


Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
 

 

There not that bad at least the one I had 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.