If you could only use one scent...?

nybuckboy

I de-sent my gear and collect vegetation from my hunting area prior to hunt and place it in with my clothes. making a "tea bag" out of the __stuff you collected ___ in a cheese cloth wrap or a new and washed knee high panty hose sock works well too. also you can extract your own sent spray via the same way. get some earth, and branches from area,  put earth in actual tea bags to help in filtering , and boil in distilled water.. reduce by half, or desired strength.. place in spray bottle and viola! you have your own customized natural sent from your own hunting area... your wife may get TO'd because your cooking tree dirt soup but you wont smell like anything foreign... if you want to buy, my buddy swears by a little skunk oil.. philosophy is they can be and are typically any where you may want to hunt and not a threat to dear.. come to think of it I am going to bottle my own and sell it.. any takers???

good luck

A fresh tarsal gland usually cut from a road kill (if not bloody)buck or doe doesn't matter. use it any time during the season. its a deer's calling card.... if a deer smells it it will come in to see who the new guy or girl is. best thing i ever use last 3-4 days if refrigerated. take em both freeze one and use one right away.

• 2 weeks later...

I use to with my bow shop buy direct from a deer farm and repackage from 1 gal plastic jugs to 4 0z bottles. I would get the deer scent with a a week of it being made. The mfg said the key to what to buy is never get scrent that was not fresh. He also suggested I store in a kool place., I also was told to tell hunter not to store on the dash board of there truck or car, as in very hot temps it will start to break down. I use to kid with guys coming just to the shop for the deer scent never to carry in there back pocket and or I would not be responsible for any damage to them. I also found most guys want to buy the sex type doe and that is not the way to go, excent in the cash period of the rut. Other times you do just as well to use buck scent or just plain doe as cover scent. I use to use q-tips from a scrape I found to pass my ground blind or tree stnad. Over the years I was able to take several bucks using this process. So for me scrent works, now on the other hand I have never had any buck come walking in for my grunt call, how about you ????

My billy goat....and right now he is stinking up a 1/4 mile area...use to be wht...now hes brown from nose to behind his shoulders....The buck just come in and hang around the pasture.....I use a buck rag and hang it from a tree....gather up fresh droppings for scrapes and because billys...urinate in their mouths constantly and stick their faces in the doe goats urine flow when they are in heat...I cut off part of his beard and hang that as well....fresh earth wafers on my hunting clothes as well

A few years ago I bought some "Buck bomb", i figured why not give it a try. it said the continer would spray for 5 mins... I started it and locked it in place and headed to my tree 20 yrds away. By the time i got there it was done and I could smell the vinilla scent. Nothing came that day, however, the last day of the year I had a "dominiant Buck Scent" left and said why not, I paid $10 for it, might as well use it........well I made a ton of noise getting in the stand (for reason's i will not go into) but once up the tree i let off the "bomb" and needless to say i was out of my stand and hold on to the small horns of a 3 pointer within 10 mins...........i chalk it up to chance as i really dont think the stuff works but wanted to know if any of you had some good experience with "Buck Bomb"???

No scent is the best scent. When the wind is blowing right into the deers face and they don't even know you are there you know you have de scented enough.

I agree. At one time, I thought I was scent free. Had a rubber soled boot, used unscented laundry detergents, was careful to wear other boots when filling up with gas, etc. Then one day, sitting in a ladder stand with a few inches of snow on the ground, I watched a button buck walk by at 10 yds, once he got to my tracks he'd put his nose down to smell me, then he'd snap his head up an look around with alarm (with no idea that I was just above him), he repeated this several times and then walked away. It was a lot of fun watching him. I realized at that time that I was not willing to do what it takes "to be truly scent free". I really don't think it's possible I'm of the opinion that you can not beat a deer's nose, though I try not to be blatantly smelly, I play the wind and roll with the punches.

My billy goat....and right now he is stinking up a 1/4 mile area...use to be wht...now hes brown from nose to behind his shoulders....The buck just come in and hang around the pasture.....I use a buck rag and hang it from a tree....gather up fresh droppings for scrapes and because billys...urinate in their mouths constantly and stick their faces in the doe goats urine flow when they are in heat...I cut off part of his beard and hang that as well....fresh earth wafers on my hunting clothes as well

Wait, goats piss in their mouths?

Yes BJ...this time of year they are about the nastiest things going...he runs around doing this and making a urgent whining type noise,,,,sticks his muzzle under every doe that urinates and lip curls....every time anyone walks with in eye sight of him he turns his head and lets fly in his mouth...The UPS guy says he knows falls here..... when he drives bye...he can smell the billy.......But dang if he doesn't draw in the buck....kicked one out from under an apple tree just tonight12 yrds from the goat barn....and they have set up a bedding area at the end of the goats pasture....looks like crop circles in the sorghum...lol

you just luv that stinky ole goat dont ya, lol!!

I wont step in the woods without bob kirschners ,curiosity or trailmaker scent sprayed on my rubber boots. ive had alot of success bringing in deer with this stuff. and its just a great cover scent for the boots .

kirschner is from pennsylvania .so its easy to find the stuff around here , i saw dicks sporting goods had alot of the stuff here in the lehigh valley, pa .

Never had too much luck with any scents, at least where I've hunted.

Wish I had the $$$ I've spent on them over the years.

Have tried most all of them, some were expensive too and almost guaranteed...

This year is my last ditch, desperation attempt at using scents.

Soon I'm going to start some scrapes near a couple of my treestands.

May continue using the drag line to the stands with doe urine.

If your easily grossed out and dont want to be offended dont read any further lol. I once worked with a lady that every year consitantly put down good bucks. I would ask her all the time what are you doing so special, she would blush and walk away. FInally one day her usband picked her up from work and I caught him in the parking lot and asked him what she does to get a good buck every year. You ready for the gross part.................. she saved her tampons and froze them all year and hung them from trees around her stand. I confronted her thinking it was a joke on her husbands part, well it wasnt.

Now I dont use goat urine or tampons but I too use to buy every dang different scent on the market and after a dozen years I stopped. I dont know if the hunting got better or the scents I used were a little to be desired by a deers standards but I swear after focusing more on scent control than cover scents or attracting scents I see more deer. It wasnt until 2 years ago I started using one brand of deer scents and had good success for once with them. Northwoods, cant find it in any store that I am aware of I order it from them direct. I was skeptical at first but after wacthing a few bucks walk of their beaten path to pick up the scent of the scent trail I put down to stop under a licking branch with a mock scrape in it with nothing but Northwoods scents I was convinced for the first time that the right scent at the right time works. Now if I can just get one of those decent bucks not to duck my arrow I will be set. LOL

I worked with a woman...God rest her soul...that did the same thing...her husband confirmed.... it worked for her...which I have no doubt...for another co-worker sat in the teachers lounge and was telling the male teachers how she was chased down the road by a buck on one of her walks....I saw the looks starting and tried to stop her...but she was clueless...then the grinning started....I later mentioned she may not want to tell that story again...and she asked why...to which I asked her u know...and she confirmed what I knew ...I said that's why and all the guys knew it....lol... wow did her face get red....But to your story....eeewwww in the freezer with their food....sorry not a thick enough freezer bag is made :huh: