Earthquake

Karpteach

Felt on Long Island- North Shore. I was sitting in my car waiting for my kid to get out of camp and my car started shaking gently. I thought there was something wrong with my car. I got out and still felt the shaking and then I thought there was something wrong with me.  :P  Really weird feeling especially when you never felt one before. I guess I ain't moving to California anytime soon . . .

I love these bad news reports...  "Diving for Shelter" Really??

An earthquake centered in              Virginia rattled buildings up and down the East Coast Tuesday afternoon, sending office workers and residents around Long Island scurrying out of their buildings or diving for shelter.

Communities including Melville, Shirley and Dix Hills  reported feeling the tremor, which came from an earthquake with a  preliminary magnitude of 5.9, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Cell phone service was briefly overwhelmed and Twitter exploded with reports of the quake.

I forgot my phone at home in the Bronx today so during lunch, I decided to go home to grab it.  I felt nothing but all of a sudden I kept getting tons of messages about it.  Everyone in the office felt it.  What timing, huh?

Burt, what floor are you on? I'M in NYC as well and my whole desk shook, building swayed as well. I'm on the 14th floor of a 30 floor building....my laptop moved a about a key in either direction. I would imagine the folks of the taller buildings felt it more...as they supposedly evacuated the building next to me which is probably about 60 to 70 stories i would guess...I will say that when I stood up I felt a little woosy....wonder what causes that.

Burt, what floor are you on? I'M in NYC as well and my whole desk shook, building swayed as well. I'm on the 14th floor of a 30 floor building....my laptop moved a about a key in either direction. I would imagine the folks of the taller buildings felt it more...as they supposedly evacuated the building next to me which is probably about 60 to 70 stories i would guess...I will say that when I stood up I felt a little woosy....wonder what causes that.

Paulie,

I'm on the 18th floor of 42. Located in Time Life building. I'm hearing all different experiences. Yea my Sister in law was evacuated from 42 floors, she is shot.

I forgot my phone at home in the Bronx today so during lunch, I decided to go home to grab it.  I felt nothing but all of a sudden I kept getting tons of messages about it.  Everyone in the office felt it.  What timing, huh?

Toruk, your phone would not have worked anyway. All cell service crashed for about 20 mins after the quake.

Was sitting at the kitchen table doing a crossword with a glass of water in front of me.  Never felt a thing and never noticed my water moving.  I wouldn't have even known about it except when I was on my way to work Mark Belling was talking about it on WIBX.

Southern Tier of NY... (Horseheads area).  I was on laptop reading papers from my students when the whole house started creaking - thought my wife was pushing on the back of my chair.  She actually was outdoors cleaning out the camper - she thought I was rocking the camper trying to scare her.

The street came alive with neighbors running out of their houses wondering, "What just happened?"