The Hunting Public from Youtube is deer hunting in New York this year

JimboCNY

40 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

I would guess a lot of hunters that hunt the big woods like that take those shots when givin. Open sites and quick shots are the norm. Gotta be in to win type of thing. You might only see 1 buck for a shot in a week or two. 

Plus if you wound one chances are you will be able to catch up and finish the job. Not ideal but in that scenario I also would take riskier shots than on bare ground or small properties. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Ah…so they settle on sub-optimal shots?!? That’s not for me for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have taken both of those shots, where he missed, if I was in that guy’s shoes.  If he didn’t kill that old worn-down, rutted-out buck, it’s odds of surviving the winter up on the Canadian border would have likely been well under 50 %.  

Better to at least give it a chance at making it to Heaven, rather than leave it for the vermin.  Any blood at all, even from a bad hit, would have slowed it down further, and made it easier to finish.  

It is a lot harder with a ML and he makes no secret, about wishing he had a little more lead to throw, with his 3600.  Get close and spray lead, when an opportunity presents itself and tracking conditions are good, is the name of the game.  The end justifies the means.  

If you always want to wait for a perfect broadside shot, the best bet is to stick with the “ambush” technique, that is employed by the vast majority of hunters these days, and let the bucks come to you.  

I don’t begrudge the trackers at all.  It’s seems like a cool way to hunt.  Way to much stress and energy usage for me in my off time though.  While I still have a “day job”, I like to “relax” while hunting.   If I am physically able, I try some tracking, after I retire.  

Edited by wolc123

Every time a deer comes on screen little man loses his mind.  I think we have another hunting generation.
C3CB7D20-D9D4-4D37-88F1-7CD3449759DE.thumb.jpeg.ea71294565bc7b40280c77d30c4473ba.jpeg

I think he’s showing you where the front shirt pocket aiming point is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will point out one part I was not so impressed with. In the video I watched, he took two shots at Brutus in less than ideal circumstances (too far and/or too many willow branches). I’m not sure I’m willing to risk injuring game with those shots. I guess the drive to hold bone in one’s hand makes some “real hunters” do things that push the envelope.
Me, I would have waited for a better shot(or probably been home already eating the Heart of a 1.5 bb!)

Tracking isn’t for you if that’s how you feel.

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Tracking isn’t for you if that’s how you feel.

I can see how this is OK  in the snow , as long as it doesn't carry  through  the snowless part of the season. ( you wouldn't be tracking then anyways) .

Imo. There are not many who should be taking these shots. 

9 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I can see how this is OK  in the snow , as long as it doesn't carry  through  the snowless part of the season. ( you wouldn't be tracking then anyways) .

Imo. There are not many who should be taking these shots. 

How do you qualify to take these shots ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

BuckMaster will grant his permission…hahahha

Maybe that's what I need.;)

I've always wanted to be good at jump shooting deer. Normaly I am stuck in the mindset of waiting for a better shot . It rarely comes, and I rarely shoot. I have on occasion and have been successful, just not comfortable with it yet

Maybe that's what I need.;)
I've always wanted to be good at jump shooting deer. Normaly I am stuck in the mindset of waiting for a better shot . It rarely comes, and I rarely shoot. I have on occasion and have been successful, just not comfortable with it yet

I mostly bow hunt so it is totally a “new” concept to me. Good enough is not good enough for most bow shots in my mind. I’m not good enough to trust myself unless the shots right.

• Like 1