Saddle Up

sodfather

25 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I like that he talks about a carabiner without a notch. Mine has a notch and it’s a royal PITA. I need a Ropeman before next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought my Ropeman from REI and also got 10’ of 10mm rope for my belt. The Ropeman makes it one hand operational compared to a prusik knot which requires 2 hands

• Like 2

Full connect all the way up and down for me. When I set up the bar is very low so not in the way. I loved the open shot but like I said I just lost my nerve with the platform being so small and no bar. I may try and get back to using it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I thought about buying another stands platform that's a little bigger. Then using the top section of the open shot. Still size vs weight wasnt worth the trade off to me. Still more room then moogs cheap ladder platforms. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I thought about buying another stands platform that's a little bigger. Then using the top section of the open shot. Still size vs weight wasnt worth the trade off to me. Still more room then moogs cheap ladder platforms. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah I keep meaning to,try it with the viper platform but the weight isn't bad. The thing I miss most about the open shot is being able to it off my back and right onto the tree, no need to set it on the ground and take it apart

Yeah I keep meaning to,try it with the viper platform but the weight isn't bad. The thing I miss most about the open shot is being able to it off my back and right onto the tree, no need to set it on the ground and take it apart

First world problems boys! The summit viper is great. I use the front bar for everything during the hunt-rest my bow right there, pull rope is always attached, hang range finder, grunts, etc. and I like having the security (albeit false security) of being held in by the bar. It also allows for an easier ascent by sitting on the bar as opposed to doing dips all the way up-equals less sweating.
Yes I have to put it down and take it apart before it goes on the tree but in life there are sacrifices!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, crappyice said:

First world problems boys! The summit viper is great. I use the front bar for everything during the hunt-rest my bow right there, pull rope is always attached, hang range finder, grunts, etc. and I like having the security (albeit false security) of being held in by the bar. It also allows for an easier ascent by sitting on the bar as opposed to doing dips all the way up-equals less sweating.
Yes I have to put it down and take it apart before it goes on the tree but in life there are sacrifices!!!

I love my Summit, but hate the sweating! An hour after getting settled in, I am usually freezing. I have some ladders that I love. My Field and Stream XL has a large platform that is 16ft off the ground and a very comfy fold up seat. This year began using a hang on. Like the hang on more than the ladders because I can get higher (18-20ft at platform). I may try a saddle next season. Reason being the portability. Not liking what I am hearing abut the small platform though. 

I don't know how you guys can carry the summit viper,the weight and of mine makes me want to leave it home. Maybe i bought the Tungsten version? It is possible...

I am no physical specimen but the 20 pounds of viper doesn’t bother me especially after changing the back straps to an old golf bag padded backpack style strap. Most of my hunts are a 20-30 minute slow walk in and up over “hills” to my spots. I only carry a very light fanny pack so that helps

5 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I don't know how you guys can carry the summit viper,the weight and of mine makes me want to leave it home. Maybe i bought the Tungsten version? It is possible...

I have to agree, don't dare for the extra weight. That's one of my reasons for loving the ladder/hang on - no extra weight...if fact, nothing extra to carry. Second reason is the ease of ascent/descent - no sweating. The only thing missing for me is the mobility. Since I am not Moog, I can't simply carry my tree with me lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Pull up rope?? What year is this 1994? Get yourself a thirdhand bowholder and climb with the bow in it!

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

I am no physical specimen but the 20 pounds of viper doesn’t bother me especially after changing the back straps to an old golf bag padded backpack style strap. Most of my hunts are a 20-30 minute slow walk in and up over “hills” to my spots. I only carry a very light fanny pack so that helps

Same. I mean yes, I am a world class wilderness athlete obviously but the molle like system I have sure helps

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Pull up rope?? What year is this 1994? Get yourself a thirdhand bowholder and climb with the bow in it!

I cant climb with my bow in the holder ,it loads the side of the top piece too much on one side . I need to build a holder off the front just for climbing i think.

I cant climb with my bow in the holder ,it loads the side of the top piece too much on one side . I need to build a holder off the front just for climbing i think.

Same...I am also supremely panicked about dropping my bow and trust nothing but my right hand to handle my equipment!!! And the pull rope on my climber was picked out by my daughter when she was 4...she picked purple and that’s what has been on my stand since then!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Same...I am also supremely panicked about dropping my bow and trust nothing but my right hand to handle my equipment!!! And the pull rope on my climber was picked out by my daughter when she was 4...she picked purple and that’s what has been on my stand since then!!!

You haven't panicked until the lower half drops to the ground and leaves you stranded on the top half , my bow was tied to the top half and i hang dropped from the top but had to swing out so i didnt land on the bottom portion . Luckily i was in my early 20s and my bones were still flexible ,i actually kneed myself in the face when i hit the ground . Then i spent 20 minutes throwing a piece of wood in the air to knock the top portion down to the ground . Don't recall seeing any deer that day LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

You haven't panicked until the lower half drops to the ground and leaves you stranded on the top half , my bow was tied to the top half and i hang dropped from the top but had to swing out so i didnt land on the bottom portion . Luckily i was in my early 20s and my bones were still flexible ,i actually kneed myself in the face when i hit the ground . Then i spent 20 minutes throwing a piece of wood in the air to knock the top portion down to the ground . Don't recall seeing any deer that day LOL.

Yikes!! Thirdhand straps for the win, always be tethered

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

I should weigh mine,my shoulders hurt just reading 20-30 min walk. I put a quality backpack frame on mine and it still sucks. 

I am in pretty decent shape ,so that should not be the problem. I will report back once i have a weight.

I should weigh mine,my shoulders hurt just reading 20-30 min walk. I put a quality backpack frame on mine and it still sucks. 
I am in pretty decent shape ,so that should not be the problem. I will report back once i have a weight.

I didn’t weigh mine and just the spec from the sight so it’s prob more...maybe I AM a physical specimen after all!!!