Techno League

BowmanMike

I will be shooting in a Techno league for the first time this winter. I am pretty excited about it and hope it will help me with my shot placement and timing. 

The critters in the scenes are moving and you have to know where to hit them to get the best score. I have no problem hitting a spot at 20 yds,but picking the right one is the tricky part. I did a practice round a few days ago and had a hard time with the turkeys. I don't hunt turkeys,so it took a while to get that figured out. 

I am not planning on winning the league,just for fun!

The thing I wish someone told me my first time around was take head shots on small animals!  There are a lot of different game selections and if you are doing a rainforest or small game set the only 10 is a head shot.  This goes for monkeys, snakes, submerged gators, birds.  Big game usually aim for the crease and hope the simulator is properly calibrated.  One of my favorite sets is mountain goats.

7 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I've done it a few times , the scoring is not as accurate as it should be for league shooting i feel. 

This is a new unit,the shop got it last summer. So far it registered exactly where i hit. I am not to worried about the score though,the practice is what i am after.

Plus i will be shooting with @monahmat,i need a local archery buddy.

This could be the start of the CNY academy,we will see...

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NFA-ADK said:

Love to see what you are talking about!  How about a video of the targets?

It is a screen that you shoot at,about 7'x 12' or so at 20 yds away. You put blunt flat tips in your arrows,same weight as the field points.

The targets are actual video recordings of the animals and the screen registers where you hit and then correlates that to the position of the critter in the scene.

So it looks 100 % real,and you can get buck fever because they have scenes of some giants. Sometimes there are multiple beasts in the scene,sometimes they move through the woods and you have to pick an opening to shoot.

I will post a pic next week.

• Like 1

i'll agree with the not as accurate for scoring as one might think. lots of upsets but definitely nice to start a league with a small group. careful with taking too much time. had a turtle duck my arrow once. sucker fell right off the log into the water for no shot. in my defense i was using those silly bows Moog uses.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'll agree with the not as accurate for scoring as one might think. lots of upsets but definitely nice to start a league with a small group. careful with taking too much time. had a turtle duck my arrow once. sucker fell right off the log into the water for no shot. in my defense i was using those silly bows Moog uses.

I tried a recurve at the shop for a few shots,how bizarre that felt. As a kid i shot a recurve in an archery club but we had rests and sights on them. This bare bow thing felt odd to say the least. I may try that again at a later stage of my hunting career.

I tried a recurve at the shop for a few shots,how bizarre that felt. As a kid i shot a recurve in an archery club but we had rests and sights on them. This bare bow thing felt odd to say the least. I may try that again at a later stage of my hunting career.
Time is the biggest crux to using one instinctively. You have to develop muscle memory similar to throwing a baseball. Look and shoot dont aim the same. I got pretty good but you really need to keep shooting to be proficient. It added to the fun factor using it for techno hunt league. With the compound it was so precise that we spent more time arguing about what shots didnt register right. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 8:38 AM, The Jerkman said:

That sounds really awesome! Wonder if there are any near 3s

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

i have done the flying arrow one for the last few years . Actually plan to stop by in near future as they usually start up about now.  its a lot of fun. i disagree with some other comments about marking/scoring not being accurate, well i guess that depends what they are referring too. i find the game is usually very accurate in showing where your arrow hits but will agree that occasionally i feel my arrow hit elsewhere.  If people mean their issues with the scoring is in what the game considers vitals or bullseyes i agree.  I typically find the "bullseye" much much lower on these targets then i would shoot live animals. Shots that i consider perfect on a live animal doesn't always correlate to what the game scores.  However i don't really compete, more just competing against my friend then the whole "league". its just fun to practice in a simulation of live targets and shot placement in varying scenarios with a little pressure of time.  I highly recommend it if you never shot on before.

• Like 1