well16days to go and it's started......

growalot

i take my kids spot lighting areas that are way far away from any where i know i will never hunt.They love to see the deer and sometimes cyotes.I am perfectly legal.And yes sometimes i may take them really late.If you think i am a bad dad for that the well i don't care what you think.I have never had the intention of shooting a buck in a light.It isn;t worth it.What kind of story is that?"And this one here i got in a spot light.Yep.jacked it.It's my prize buck here".Hahaha.Nah.not me.

I only really take the kids cause they like to see the deer.And lets face it.we all like to look at deer.Even if we cant't hunt them or not.It's just fun to do.It's kinda like driving around to check out the christmas lights.Don't mean i am going to steal your santa clause you got out front just cause im driving by slow.LOL>

Oh Golly Gee , how silly of me . The folks that drive around spot lighting private properties at 2am (that they can't hunt), etc are probably just some Nature Lovers that can't sleep and need something to do to pass the time . How could I think otherwise ??? Duh !

Well you didn't say anything about 2am. You just said that anyone spotting land that doesn't belong to them is up to no good. However, I do agree that someone spotting at 2am is certainly someone to be suspicious of. I like to spot later in the evening as opposed to as soon as it gets dark though because you don't have 14 other vehicles out spotting the same fields that you are.

sometimes the deer arent in that feild till 2 am.I have been spotlighting every hour of the night.Just cause i am law abiding doesn't mean the next guy is.I would say to call the law.If i get pulled over at 2 shinning the cop will just let me go since i am doing nothing criminaly wrong.But if there is someone shinning with a gun in their truck i hope the cop gets em!

When do most of the big bucks come out???? Dark thirty...If ny says its legal we just have to suck it up and deal with it. I at times spotlight property that boarders mine just to see whats hanging out in the area.I also have people that spotlight my property to see whats hanging out on me. Alot of people like to see 200in bucks so we seem to get alot of visits..day and night!!

Well I'm glad to see my thread expanded to ppl wanting to give their opinion and not decide to call me names because I gave mine ..hhhmmm hope there

I have to laugh at this particular post choice though.... for it brings up another problem that many land owners I know and happend to me once.... have..I now have hard wire around them...I know one guy that went out and spray painted and orange stripe down his trees...lol not sure I'd want to see that when looking at them but he was angry and rightfully so

No not the Santa clause....but the blue spruce.... hemlock or Concolor we've been growing for ten years....Just such a wonderful feeling having your trees cut and stolen or the tops cut out of them....

It's kinda like driving around to check out the christmas lights.Don't mean i am going to steal your santa clause you got out front just cause im driving by slow.LOL>

PS ...there isn't a place around us that can be legally spotted from the road the way the homes and barns are staggered here and if they can here me yell hey when we are 320 feet off the road they are illegal...but still it comes down to respect and lack there of...just thowing out food for thought

sounds like you got a real problem with those folk around you then.They just plain dont have once of respect is seams.It is def a respect thing when it comes to shinning lights near houses or barns.And stealing trees.That is low.Need some law enforcement that does their job it sounds like.Seems like no matter how much you call them it doesn't help.Then when you take matters in your hand the law treats you like a criminal.Whats this country coming to?

Oh Golly Gee , how silly of me . The folks that drive around spot lighting private properties at 2am (that they can't hunt), etc are probably just some Nature Lovers that can't sleep and need something to do to pass the time . How could I think otherwise ??? Duh !

Maybe somebody got out of work at 2am, and are doing a little spotlighting on theyre way home? Just because you dont seem to enjoy spotlighting, just to SEE some deer, dosnt mean nobody else does either. Stop jumping to conclusions that they are out poaching.

arrow nocker....I have to consider us lucky...guy next door had his door kicked in and all guns an bow stolen 2x's....guy below him had their place broken into and robbed 2x's....different years on those ppl...any how ..

The last time they were wintering south...they had a pick up at the house...all possessions were loaded into the pick up and the pick up was stolen too...not before house ransacked and all doors left open to the weather...they are selling now...had enough so your right....but it's a lot of ppl that come in from other areas that cause the biggest problems

arrow nocker....I have to consider us lucky...guy next door had his door kicked in and all guns an bow stolen 2x's....guy below him had their place broken into and robbed 2x's....different years on those ppl...any how ..

The last time they were wintering south...they had a pick up at the house...all possessions were loaded into the pick up and the pick up was stolen too...not before house ransacked and all doors left open to the weather...they are selling now...had enough so your right....but it's a lot of ppl that come in from other areas that cause the biggest problems

Geez! Makes me not want to move into the country. I'll stick with the drug dealers and muggers instead. At least they'll just take your purse or wallet. B)

My goodness!! Where on earth do you live with all this nonsense going on around you?? Somalia? Poachers, burglars, jacklighters, you name it, it seems. Honestly starting to sound like something out of the movie "Deliverance". Must be a few toothless, banjo playing hillbillies around your parts wrecking such havoc! LOL

Just in the hills in the finger lakes...we gave police # ..color ...make and model of car from the last robberie of guy next door...right back to Rochester...they recovered part of his guns in a dumpster but never made an arrest...the owner had lent the car out!!??...Go figure :huh::rolleyes:

Edited by growalot

Sounds like a friendship with the local law inforcement is in order. Course if you call them for everything thats less likely to happen. Maybe a trooper or another agency. I have made friends with many in my area and they just drive by once in a while makes a great deterent to stop such goofy activities. I even had one neighbor complaining we shoot all his deer as we always had something hanging when he went by to a dec officer a t a gun show, who just happened to be one i know who then calmed him down and expalined he knew the area and the deer were not his and were free to cross property lines to get food water or just take a walk.... As for spotting i wish they would ban it during open season. When i started hunting i never saw anything as did many other youngsters in our camp. Gramps(the leader of camp not a grandfather) would pile us youngsters into his old jeep rambler and take us around the block spotting deer there would be hundreds of em..the next morning we were all reved up to hunt and get some of them we saw at night...again no deer.. eventually i refused to go spotting as the only deer i wanted to see were at the other end of my barrel !!

I always figured that it is just a matter of time before some of the city punks figure out that a lot of us rural folks are just "easy pickins" and we're just a short ride away from their usual stompin grounds. Think about it, a lot of us are well away from the road, at least 15 minutes to a half hour away from any law enforcement, and no neighbors with prying eyes to look out for what's going on next door.

The bad news for these creeps is that just about everyone out here is armed. But with more and more city-type Bambi lovers moving out here, that little problem may be getting to be less and less. But there's no question that in many respects you are more secure in the cities. Let's just hope the "home invaders" and such never figure it all out.

that's too late....the sheriffs and troopers are up here a lot actually....domestic violence... drugs.....some locals are wild about the 4 wheelers...I don't much care as long as they stay on the road but others..not so much....lots of dog attacks and a real rash of home invasions that kept them busy for months...personally I only call when I've tried every other avenue...which is how I've been verbally accosted a few times...but the ppl that live near me....not the ones that come in to make trouble...have more than once told me they are glad I'm around....it has kept them from having as many problems as in the past

You know I like driving around and seeing deer and eagles.... fox ...bear and turkey but I go when it's light out and have seen many a fine buck....I've never needed to go out and invade another persons property and space with a high powered beam of light...I suppose it's a do unto others thing for me...walking in anothers shoes sorta speak ^_^

No offense but it sounds like to me that you have bigger problems than people spotlighting and/or poaching around your property.

No offense but it sounds like to me that you have bigger problems than people spotlighting and/or poaching around your property.

I agree, plus I highly doubt that it's the city people who are being blamed for the burglaries who are also doing the brunt of the poaching. Yeah, there might be a few, but in general it's the locals who are around most of the time and know the comings and goings of landowners around the area. Those that are in the area most of the time generally have the most opportunities to do it.

The problem is this country has put too much burden of truth on the law. I once ran into an internet scam. The moment I was onto them I kept stringing them along while I called the internet crime bureau. The bureau told me that since I haven't actually sent them any money, no actual crime has been committed so they can't do anything about it. To which I replied and I quote, "So if they want to kill me, I have to let them kill me first before I can report it?" Their response: "Unfortunately...yes."

To avoid wrongfully accusing one person, we allow 10 others to be murdered.

Edited by Elmo

As long as one follows these State Regulations, I don't see what the problem with spotlighting is

SPOTLIGHTING

You may use lights to observe wildlife under the following conditions:

• You are not within 500 feet of a home or farm building, unless you have permission from the owner or lessee (when looking for deer or bear).
  • While in or on a motor vehicle and operating a light and no person has a firearm, crossbow or bow unless:
  • the firearm or crossbow is taken down or the bow is unstrung, or
  • the firearm or crossbow is securely fastened in a case, or
  • the firearm or crossbow is locked in the trunk of the vehicle, or
  • the firearm is a handgun.

the 4a.m slow driving trucks and spot lights scanning everything...and they are always surprised to herar me yell HEY from the darkness on our porch...not as if they don't see our lights on or probably go through that ever year :rolleyes: ....they light hits the sky before going off and the engines rev up as they hurry away...and the foolish games begin.........

And I'll say it again.......drama.