What do you think about shooting *stocked* pheasant on the ground?

First of all, I am looking for discussion only here. If you can't talk about the subject at hand without name calling or insulting, take your words elsewhere.

I had an interesting discussion with my Dad while we were pheasant hunting earlier, I had one in front of me that I could not flush; my dad said I should have shot it on the ground. I asked him if that was ethical, and he said it didn't matter since they were stocked birds and would not survive the winter anyway. Now my Dad has been hunting for 45+ years, so it's not like he's just out for some cheap thrills.

Now I saw 4 more pheasant that day and wasn't able to get a shot at any of them. So either I suck at hunting or we don't give ground pheasant enough credit, but anyway, I would like some other opinions on this.

Keep in mind we are talking strictly about stocked birds, not wild ones. Also, we do not hunt with a dog, making it very difficult to flush the birds.

I think this question is something you have to ask yourself. It is perfectly legal to shoot them on the ground, in some eyes that would be unsportsman like.

In a perfect world, game birds flush when you walk up on them. Sometimes they do not. Personaly I would take out the non flushers. Might be a little cheesy, but heck, your gonna eat them anyway.

It teaches the others to get out of dodge by example. ;)

Well I would not have shot it on the ground either. It kind of takes the fun out of the flush and wing shooting, not to mention that if anyone seen me do it around me I would have been harrased to no end. Its not illegal its just one of those unspoken sportmans rules. I remember the very first grouse I shot my first year grouse hunting. It was perched in a tree and didnt flush. I remember thinking this is perfect and harvested that bird. I came strooling home and was all proud of myself until I told dad my story of how I got it. Cant remember his exact words, he was happy I got my first bird but threw out there for me that what I did wasnt truly bird hunting it was just shooting a bird. Never did it again.

Well I would not have shot it on the ground either. It kind of takes the fun out of the flush and wing shooting, not to mention that if anyone seen me do it around me I would have been harrased to no end. Its not illegal its just one of those unspoken sportmans rules. I remember the very first grouse I shot my first year grouse hunting. It was perched in a tree and didnt flush. I remember thinking this is perfect and harvested that bird. I came strooling home and was all proud of myself until I told dad my story of how I got it. Cant remember his exact words, he was happy I got my first bird but threw out there for me that what I did wasnt truly bird hunting it was just shooting a bird. Never did it again.

Grouse are strange birds. Most of the time they are busting the heck outta there. Once in a while you find one that just sits. (Not in the spring of course, talking hunting season).

About shooting only flushing birds. I know how you feel, how do you feel about others shooting them perched in a tree? Or on the ground? I am really just curious on this, as my opinions have changed over time..

Shoot, the only Grouse Ive ever been able to shoot have been sitting in tree's. :) I figure if your good enough to sneak up on one of those suckers then have at it. As far as DEC stocked tame chickens go, I wouldn't know. I went on a hunt for them once and the only ones we ever saw were the dead ones people couldn't find or that starved to death during the winter not sure which since they were frozen solid. The way I see it they were put there to shoot and you paid for it so shoot them. Which is more ethical shooting tame chickens out of the air or on the ground? I guess its up to each individual hunter.

Edited by erussell

It is a personal choice, which ethics are anyway. I personally would not shoot the bird on the ground. When we do hunt them, we have a dog, so that makes my choice different. I have hunted them without a dog and it is an entirely different game then. If I were my own dog, and worked that hard to find and gert a bird, I would probably take the shot, even if it was a wild bird or released bird. Again it is a personal choice.

I'm not much of a bird hunter, and wouldn't have a clue about any unwritten ethical questions about shooting a bird on the ground. So in all honesty, it probably wouldn't even occur to me that there was some kind of ethical controversy over shooting them on the ground. I know I don't force turkeys to fly before shooting. As far as a wild vs. released pheasant, I wouldn't have any idea how to tell them apart.

I had a stocked bird up in a pine tree last year that wouldn't fly. I'm banging on the tree, tossing sticks at it etc. My dog is going bonkers and can't see the bastid. It was a real thick stand of 25' trees. To satisfy the dog, I brought it to bag. They do taste the same.

We have 30 birds coming this weekend for a shoot.

Keep in mind, NEVER shoot a bird on the ground when working dogs!!!!! NEVER!!!!

Years ago I got invited to hunt pheasants and quail down near Cooperstown on some club. As I stood there waiting to go out I watched them throw the birds from a 4-wheeler. We then had coffee and split up into different areas. They told me that the birds probably wouldn't flush, even with a dog. Ok fine. So I shot two birds off the ground. There birds tasted just the same. It wasn't as much fun and I never went back. Every situation is different, it's your call. We will never have the wing shooting that they do in the midwest so take what you can get.

My vote is it wouldn't be ethical. The hunt is not just about the shot or the game taken. It's about the whole experience. Just like I wouldnt shoot a deer standing broadside to me with another behind it. It's not illegal, but would certainly be unethical.

Well to me its the same as shooting a big tom out of a tree.. its legal! if you found it got that close to it shoot it or walk over and crack it with a stick! What if it was a big rooster running through a cornfield that wouln't flush ? or a rabbit that you happened to catch sitting still?? i STILL LIKE TO EAT what i shoot and a tom out of a tree or phesant on the ground or grouse in a tree or on the ground all taste good to me!

For years I felt rather strongly about this subject, but I have mellowed and become more practical in my old age. I have shot 3 or 4 grouse out of trees in heavy cover while rabbit hunting.

I still have never shot a pheasant on the ground or a duck on the water( except for cripples, of course) and I certainly would not shoot a turkey off the roost although I've had many chances to do it over the years. But it doesn't matter to me if the next guy does..It's a personal thing.

Edited by Pygmy

I've never been on a stocked pheasant hunt but I think the true ethical question here isn't so much that the pheasant was on the ground but that it's stocked which isn't as bad as a caged hunt but itsn't completely natural either. Would I go on a caged hunt? No I wouldn't. Would I attend a stocked pheasant hunt? Yeah, I might. Would I shoot one on the ground? I would too. But it'll be like Barry Bonds home run record. It'll have an * next to it. I also think that if I've been hunting long enough, I'll also probably let it pass not so much as that I think it's too unethical but rather from the lack of the challenge and allow someone else the opportunity to take that bird.

My vote is it wouldn't be ethical. The hunt is not just about the shot or the game taken. It's about the whole experience. Just like I wouldnt shoot a deer standing broadside to me with another behind it. It's not illegal, but would certainly be unethical.

That is a totaly different scenario, you are not risking wounding another animal by shooting a bird on the ground.

Grouse are strange birds. Most of the time they are busting the heck outta there. Once in a while you find one that just sits. (Not in the spring of course, talking hunting season).

About shooting only flushing birds. I know how you feel, how do you feel about others shooting them perched in a tree? Or on the ground? I am really just curious on this, as my opinions have changed over time..

If I didnt know them I would just shake my head and look away lol. If it was one of my boys, family or a friend I would not let them take the shot. If they did and they told me I would have to bust on them about it. I dont care if its stocked or not there are 4 parts of the hunt that I truly enjoy,watching my dog work, watching a bird flush taking the shot and of course the meat aspect. I think my dog shares my values on this as well. Same as when she works her butt off to find a bird and go on point only for me to miss, she seems to just know I was the one to mess up and gives me an unmistakable dissapointing look. Bird dogs are a special breed and watching one work its magic and learning its body language is just plain fun to begin with. I still get a chuckle out of the naysayers with the stocked bird comments. It is alot of fun especially with a dog and it is not nearly as easy as some make it sound. Im not referring to game farms by the way I cant speak for that I have never done it.

If I didnt know them I would just shake my head and look away lol. If it was one of my boys, family or a friend I would not let them take the shot. If they did and they told me I would have to bust on them about it. I dont care if its stocked or not there are 4 parts of the hunt that I truly enjoy,watching my dog work, watching a bird flush taking the shot and of course the meat aspect. I think my dog shares my values on this as well. Same as when she works her butt off to find a bird and go on point only for me to miss, she seems to just know I was the one to mess up and gives me an unmistakable dissapointing look. Bird dogs are a special breed and watching one work its magic and learning its body language is just plain fun to begin with. I still get a chuckle out of the naysayers with the stocked bird comments. It is alot of fun especially with a dog and it is not nearly as easy as some make it sound. Im not referring to game farms by the way I cant speak for that I have never done it.

Fair enough. I understand where you are comming from.

I am hoping to get a grouse next weekend...Like if I get one I will be happy. Ha. They have been busting every time I have walked up on them this year. In fact in the last few months, they have been all flying, and a good amount too. But when I go grouse hunting, I see deer, and when I go deer hunting I see grouse. So I should bring a camera too I guess.

It would be real interesting to find out where some of these unwritten ethical rules come from. For example, what exactly is wrong with shooting a pheasant that is on the ground? We shoot turkeys that aren't in flight all the time. We shoot rabbits that are on the ground. What is so horrible about shooting ducks that are on the water? Some people get all weird about shooting a bedded deer. And I guess shooting a sitting rabbit is also supposed to be something that is un-sporting. And on and on....... Some of these I can almost stretch my imagination and see where they might not be as sporting as the more acceptable ethical rules, but some of them just seem to be quite arbitrary and make no sense to me. It would be interesting to see what the history behind some of these little rules is.

A point was made if your using dogs don't shoot the bird on the ground as it can screw them up.. ok that makes sence esp if their not your dogs!!! well.... so i don't use dogs so i'm shooting!! big gobblers on the roost thats flown down the opposite direction 3 days in a row.. i'm shooting!! seeing a rabbit siting still again no dogs involved is going in the pot as well!

As I said, G-Man, it is a personal thing. It really doesn't bother me the least if you shoot turkeys out of the roost or ducks on the water. It is legal and that is your choice.

It's just that I grew up learning from my Dad and other role models that gamebirds ( other than turkeys, which are more like big game) should be shot on the wing, and that is the way I prefer to do it.

Concerning shooting roosted turkeys, once again, I prefer to shoot birds that I have called in. I have shot well over 100 turkeys, and the great majority of them were coming to my call, both spring and fall. It's just the way I prefer to do it.. I'm not passing judgement on anybody else , as long as they do it legally.

I hunt them where I see them.

I don't use a dog...I use my skills of keen observation and stalking techniques to get where I need to be in order to obtain food.

During hunting season I like my diet to be primarily of low fat game animals for as long as they let me go out with the gun.