Headshots are just not right

bigbuckhunter

BTW, just think of how gross a body shot really is. You are basically drinking booze out of someones belly button, and if you are in a dance club, the girl is sometimes sweaty from dancing, then back in the day they wore glitter and spray tan and makeup all mixed in. WTF was wrong with me?

Oh wait, what am I thinking, nothing at all wrong with that. :spiteful:

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
26 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Actually, I didn't not look at the date. It showed up today in my unread content. I wasn,the hunting around. I don't have the  time  for  that.

Sorry.

The bow guys are getting worked up about range on a few threads the gun guys should have some fun too; this is a good topic.

Maybe Borns' 223 thread will gain a little traction......small caliber for deer often do.

• Like 1

Actually, we had a lot of real good discussions back then. I have often wondered why we think that topics have to be "one-and-done". We have new members added everyday. I like it when people dredge up some of these oldies but goodies. They are still interesting.

I don't even like head shots on squirrels.  A .22 LR thru their ribs does not take out much if any usable meat.  It don't make much sense not to allow the maximum room for error, and the center lung shot gives you that.   I did go for and make a head shot on a squirrel one time while deer hunting during the late ML season.  It was right at dusk on the last day and the gun needed unloading anyhow.  Poor Mr. bushytail just happened to show up at the wrong place at the wrong time.    The .50 cal round ball neatly removed his head without damaging any meat.  Other than livestock we butcher or furbearers caught in traps, that was my only head shot on an animal.  If deer need finishing, I use a neck shot with a gun or a jugular throat slit with a knife.  It is good to see that most folks here are in agreement in their dislike of the head shot.  

I shot at a deer one year hit a branch and hit the one behind it and to the right. It was on the ground flopping so I got down and from 10 feet shot it in the head with my .40 pistol. probably the most disgusting thing I have saw, from there on out I just put one at the base of the skull where it meets the spine. I wouldn't take a head shot with my rifle I wouldn't want my son to see it not to mention taking a picture with a deer and half its head is missing doesn't make for the nicest picture.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2011 at 6:59 PM, G-Man said:

My neighbor will only take headshots as he loses no meat. and no messy gut to clean out...1 shot 1 deer...been doing it for 20 years i know of and probably most of his life 76 years old. Don't have a problem with them. Though i know some people consider them cabable of such a shot i myself wouldn't do it .

What kind of rifle does he use?

I don't go for head shots either. Lungs for me. 

.308 bolt action.. 81 now and still doing head shots..it's actually impressive.. i still won't do it . Horns are meaningless to him.and he's taken some whoppers, even waits for late season tons hoot his doe hoping to find a buck that's dropped it's horns as the body is bigger thus more meat.. some I've seen have had pedicals that would of held some very nice racks...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk