Which Broadhead for low poundage draw weight?

wuggzwest

Hello all,

My girlfriend is pulling 36 pounds on her Mathews Mission Craze. She's been shooting for about 6 months solid now and when she started shooting she was at about 20lbs. We have deer/boar/gator hunt down south coming up next month and I am trying to decide what would be the best broadhead for her to use considering she's still at a fairly low poundage. I would like her to reach 38-40lbs before we get down south but we shall see. Id imagine right off the plate that mechanicals would be out considering the draw weight. So what do you guys recommend? She's using 100 grain field points on her carbon arrows and at 20 yards she's dead on. In my closet I have 100 grain Thunder Heads, 100 Grain 2 blade rages and 100 grain 2 blade blood runner's. Both the rages and the bloodrunners I wouldn't use with her as I would assume most would agree with that. Any info would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

I have always liked Thunderheads but they don't fly true to the field point. Iv always had to re-adjust my sight which is why I have recently transitioned over to mechanicals. Im shooting a Mathews Z7 Extreme, 70 pounds, 29.5 draw length and I'm using full metal jacket arrows. Its just straight brute force. I personally don't mind re adjusting the site myself, but after getting my girlfriend dead on at 20 It would be a pain to have to go through it again for the broadhead then have to re adjust when she's ready to go back to field points. Today so many of these fixed blade heads fly dead on with the field points. Littlesunray, Iv read about the rage 2 blade 40ke's which are made for people using the draw weight of 40 and under, but I have read so much negative reviews on them I would be way to nervous for her to use them.

I have always liked Thunderheads but they don't fly true to the field point. Iv always had to re-adjust my sight which is why I have recently transitioned over to mechanicals. Im shooting a Mathews Z7 Extreme, 70 pounds, 29.5 draw length and I'm using full metal jacket arrows. Its just straight brute force. I personally don't mind re adjusting the site myself, but after getting my girlfriend dead on at 20 It would be a pain to have to go through it again for the broadhead then have to re adjust when she's ready to go back to field points. Today so many of these fixed blade heads fly dead on with the field points. Littlesunray, Iv read about the rage 2 blade 40ke's which are made for people using the draw weight of 40 and under, but I have read so much negative reviews on them I would be way to nervous for her to use them.

I will be sure to put up a review after used in a few days.

sorry forgot to mention. the results of our son on the 3D deer with the rage was wild. shot right through.

Edited by Littlesunray

I would probably choose a two-edge, cut-on-contact blade that is very-very sharp. And yes, I would definitely stay away from expandable heads. It may not be a lot, but when you are using low poundage, you definitely do not want to give up any energy to opening blades.

Rage has the 40KE's rear deploying broadheads as mentioned above. For light draw weights, short draw lengths. Got a pack right here. They have a chart on the back to compare draw weight against draw length. For use with 40 lbs. kinetic energy or less. 1 1/2"cutting diameter. The pack says put'em down. Get your game or money back. I take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

Rage has the 40KE's rear deploying broadheads as mentioned above. For light draw weights, short draw lengths. Got a pack right here. They have a chart on the back to compare draw weight against draw length. For use with 40 lbs. kinetic energy or less. 1 1/2"cutting diameter. The pack says put'em down. Get your game or money back. I take that with a grain of salt.

Well, it's hard to prove mathmatically, but my guess would be that a 1-1/2" cut probably would not be what I would choose for a low poundage bow. So that may be another consideration that I should have put on my list above ...... Be careful choosing a head that tries to be too aggressive with the cutting width. Also, the cutting angle or the angle formed between the cutting edges might be something to consider. Some broadheads have some huge angles and look more like they are trying to chop their way in instead of slicing.

Again, it's just about impossible to prove that all these things NEED to be used, but the idea that I am trying to convey is to use everything you can to promote effortless penetration. 40 pounds of bow will definitely do the job, but putting everything in your favor is not a real bad idea at that weight.

Use nothing but stingers!!! 75 or 100 grain either 2 blade or the 4 blade with the little bleeder blades.I shoot low poundage after broken collar and shoulder and i will tell you most deer i have ever shot and not to toot my own horn but there was a ten year ten bucks stretch in there cut on contacts blow through like hot butter.Bigger than deer might be a bit different but wouldnt think it would be much as far as cutting all the way through the animal.

Got these for my son and Finace to use this year.... Fly great... Will hopefully post pics this weekend...

The one thing no one has addressed is the kinetic energy. When using a low poundage bow you need a heavier arrow. The slower the arrow travels the more weight you should use.

How heavy is the current arrow?

What is the FOC - Front Of Center?

To me I would think no less than a 400 grain arrow with a FOC of no less than 12%. 430 grain arrow and 15% FOC would be my approximate goal for your wife. This set up would hit like a small truck inside 15 yds.

Using a 38 lb draw weight and say a 325 total grain arrow weight this could stick into the animal but never really penetrate very deep.

Any one else have any thoughts on this?

PS: I'd suggest the 100 grain fixed blades you have in your closet.

Edited by nybuckboy

I would without a doubt stay away from the mechanicals too. I use to shoot 3 blade Thunderheads 125 gr. with my old Golden Eagle and they definitely do the job. I did have to make a minor adjustment in my sight from the field points to the broadheads but the point of impact was not off by that much. I would let her practice with the 100 gr., make the minor sight adjustment and she will be fine. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!!!