2020 Lawn Thread!

BizCT

1 minute ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

Very interesting. Never in a million years would I have even considered that there was so much thought and planning into the way the grass is cut. I figured it was based on whatever someone wanted to cut. Sweet! Got a beautiful day today to mow

I'm Surgical

Yes sir, there is more to it than some would think.  Even the height of cut plays into it. Glad you enjoyed the post.

1 minute ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

Very interesting. Never in a million years would I have even considered that there was so much thought and planning into the way the grass is cut. I figured it was based on whatever someone wanted to cut. Sweet! Got a beautiful day today to mow

I'm Surgical

Yes sir, there is more to it than some would think.  Even the height of cut plays into it. Glad you enjoyed the post.

17 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Yup, especially for baseball. Got a ground ball pitcher throwing, you leave the infield grass longer 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yup, especially for baseball. Got a ground ball pitcher throwing, you leave the infield grass longer 

Hmmm, we actually cut a 1/4” shorter on baseball fields.  They are all Little League fields, so we want the kids able to see the ground balls headed there way.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Hmmm, we actually cut a 1/4” shorter on baseball fields.  They are all Little League fields, so we want the kids able to see the ground balls headed there way.

I meant like in HS when you are trying for advantage you can get. short grass, more balls go through the infield for hits. longer grass is a pitcher's dream.

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I meant like in HS when you are trying for advantage you can get. short grass, more balls go through the infield for hits. longer grass is a pitcher's dream.

I seee, it is all quite ironic, because I do not follow sports AT ALL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bionic said:

I seee, it is all quite ironic, because I do not follow sports AT ALL.

yea, those "skin diamonds" with all dirt and no grass is a hitters dream. the balls fly through the infield quicker.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

yea, those "skin diamonds" with all dirt and no grass is a hitters dream. the balls fly through the infield quicker.

Yup, most of our ball fields are full clay infields.  Zero resistance!

• Like 2

I mow an acre and a half with a 44in JD rider that's showing its age . With out doing trim with weed whacker its 2hrs of my life I dont get back. To the zero turn users how much time you think I'll save if I go to a 60in zero turn. 60in the biggest I can go if I want it stored in shed

7 hours ago, sbuff said:

I mow an acre and a half with a 44in JD rider that's showing its age . With out doing trim with weed whacker its 2hrs of my life I dont get back. To the zero turn users how much time you think I'll save if I go to a 60in zero turn. 60in the biggest I can go if I want it stored in shed

For reference, a few posts up I used a 61” Scag Turf Tiger.  That field is roughly 7 acres, mowing at about half speed of what the mower can travel at, it takes about 2.75 hrs to mow.  

what comes to mind from moving from a 44 to a 60 is 16” wider passes....so every 4 passes/lines mowed with a 60, you saved yourself a pass/line across the lawn compared to the 44. You might only save yourself 10 minutes, hard to say.  

Make the move to a zero turn you won’t regret it. I went from a 46” rider to a 48” zero turn and shaved 15-20 min off my mowing time with 1.25 acres to cut with tons of obstacles.

Depending on your yard and choice of zero turn I’d guess you can save yourself 30-45 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My wife enjoys cutting the lawn too, especially the front.  She’ll cut the back too but if I’m around I’ll do it.   

There is a real sense of satisfaction that comes with a nicely mowed lawn. She doesn’t weed whack or run the edger, that’s my job and also a high satisfaction couple of tasks.  Not everyone sees it the same way, obviously.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paula said:

I ended up buying a Worx weed eater, I don't know why I took so long buying one. Still not don't cleaning flower beds, or what ever they are. I actually like cutting my own lawn. 

IMG_20200605_211103627.jpg

Same brand ive got.seem to work well.have leaf blower of theirs also!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

Same brand ive got.seem to work well.have leaf blower of theirs also!

There is a set with blower, trimmer and hedge trimmer. I don't think I need the blower and I can borrow hedge trimmer from cousin. I am think a couple of the tools but I don't think I need anything

Oh there seems to be this thing that happens, neighbor cuts lawn so you have to do yours, other neighbor cuts and your out there the same day doing yours. 

It's going to rain so you have to do it now.......when does it end?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paula said:

Oh there seems to be this thing that happens, neighbor cuts lawn so you have to do yours, other neighbor cuts and your out there the same day doing yours. 

It's going to rain so you have to do it now.......when does it end?!

November

• Like 2

In the very near future I will be in need of reseeding 3,500 square feet of my yard. I will not hydro seed.

Where is a good place to purchase seed in bulk and what type/species of seed should I use.

Remember I don’t need my lawn to be Biz level

In the very near future I will be in need of reseeding 3,500 square feet of my yard. I will not hydro seed.

Where is a good place to purchase seed in bulk and what type/species of seed should I use.

Kentucky Bluegrass is my vote!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

4 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Go to Lakeside sod and buy their seed blend, Goodrich Rd in Clarence

7 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Go to Lakeside sod and buy their seed blend, Goodrich Rd in Clarence

I am sure they will suggest a good blend rather than a single variety to provide resistance to disease and adaptability to all types of soil conditions.  We used to sell a lot of 20% annual rye (germinates quick and provides cover for other seed), 30% Perennial Rye, 25% Kentucky Blue, and 25% Red Fescue (does well in sun or shade).  We called it State Fair mix.  I just bought a bag at a local farmers co-op very close to that mix and it was $110 for 50#.  

• Like 1

I am sure they will suggest a good blend rather than a single variety to provide resistance to disease and adaptability to all types of soil conditions.  We used to sell a lot of 20% annual rye (germinates quick and provides cover for other seed), 30% Perennial Rye, 25% Kentucky Blue, and 25% Red Fescue (does well in sun or shade).  We called it State Fair mix.  I just bought a bag at a local farmers co-op very close to that mix and it was $110 for 50#.  

6c664718bee06e9faab8586f19971b80.jpg

• Like 2