Hunting for food out of season

Five Seasons

19 hours ago, Elmo said:

Jokes aside, it is legitimate.  If you can afford to shoot a deer with a $1000 bow, how "needy" were you?

jokes aside, worst case scenario you may have a shit ton of money in the bank and that wont matter right? A mcmansion and sitka gear, but if there is no meat on the shelves, what does it matter?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chef said:

I’m pretty sure I know what sparked the start of this thread. I will say this if things got so bad I didn’t want to go to the store and my freezer was cleaned out I wouldn’t even think twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i believe the stores will bounce back quickly when the panic buying slows. 

I went to palmers (a local meat market) last night that isn't as well known or hit hard like wegmans and even they were running low. It's hard not to get a little nervous. 

Edited by Belo

1 minute ago, cynthiafu said:

It may have to be me . I didnt get and deer this year. I probably  wouldn't even  see one now .lolol

You can have some of mine if you like and if I ran out and you were in need, I would kill another for you. Its been said here before and I agree, if my family is starving, DEC, the rules and the haters be damned. I WILL bring something home. 

I consider myself lucky tho, I have deer and turkey in the front yard, 6 million squirrels in the area and the bay/ocean practically in the back yard. 

Maybe this will be the year I am not so picky and post pics of 20 diff dead doe that I killed. My freezer, your freezer and the homeless kitchen freezer would be full. 

I say this every year and then sit and wait for Bullwinkle anyway lol

Edited by squirrelwhisperer
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, johnplav said:

What about during the season?  Everyone is OK with bending the rules if the guy fell on hard times and is feeding his family?  Shooting at night OK?  Over bait?  How about if he trespasses?  What if he posts a pic of the deer on a hunting website?  

Not trying to be a jerk, just playing the devils advocate.  It’s a slippery slope when you start breaking laws.  What if he can’t find any deer so he breaks into a house to steal food?  Or money?  

like zombie apocalypse man? There are no rules. I'd blow up a school to save my children and I'm not sorry about that. 

On a less serious note, if I really could not find food, I'd imagine I'd spotlight. Why make it hard if the only goal is meat? 

• Like 1

Just now, Belo said:

like zombie apocalypse man? There are no rules. I'd blow up a school to save my children and I'm not sorry about that. 

On a less serious note, if I really could not find food, I'd imagine I'd spotlight. Why make it hard if the only goal is meat? 

Zombie apocalypse??? I'd eat the neighbors lol

Everything tastes good with BBQ sauce lmao

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, johnplav said:

Not worked up at all.  Every deer I shoot is for food.  And if this poor hypothetical guy is hunting public land near me... he’d be better off going for squirrels and raccoons. 

I make squirrel wings for my boys quite a bit, and have posted those pics on this site a few times. 4 squirrels in the winter is not as easy as a deer hunter thinks. They're not out and about as much as they are during the fall. Anyhow, I usually still manage 2 to 4 a trip if I'm really trying and not just "hiking with a .22", which is usually what I am doing.

Those 4 skinned and quartered in a fryer will provide a decent meal for me, the wife and 3 boys. But if those boys were grown, 4 would not be enough for sure. The best I ever did was 6 and the conditions were just perfect. Sure, I could shoot em off a bird feeder or something, but once you start actively pursuing those tree rats and not just "noticing that they're everywhere" you might be surprised is all i'm saying. And then in the end I hiked all day and provided a single meal. A deer might take as much or less energy and provide numerous meals. Same issue can apply to small lake fishing vs going out and hammering the kings. The effort vs reward is tough.

For those of us lucky enough to have the space, and with warmer weather coming to support;  a garden would be a great idea to plant this year. With little money, one can support life for quite a while off one.  We always live off one right into winter very easily. Get your seeds and fertilizer now.

I would exchaust all other sources first before shooting wildlife out of season.  Red squirrel and woodchuck would be great, no season game options to think about. And who said, let them eat crow?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

For those of us lucky enough to have the space, and with warmer weather coming to support;  a garden would be a great idea to plant this year. With little money, one can support life for quite a while off one.  We always live off one right into winter very easily. Get your seeds and fertilizer now.

I would exchaust all other sources first before shooting wildlife out of season.  Red squirrel and woodchuck would be great, no season game options to think about. And who said, let them eat crow?

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/cooking-techniques/i-ate-crow

5 hours ago, Belo said:

jokes aside, worst case scenario you may have a shit ton of money in the bank and that wont matter right? A mcmansion and sitka gear, but if there is no meat on the shelves, what does it matter?

Then there is a flaw in your argument.  You're asking how I would judge a person for committing such an act.  This assumes I am casting judgment from a different situation.  If there is a completely break down of society, I would not be judging a person for poaching, I would be pissed that he got to it before I did.

• Like 2

If there was a teowawki event ,there would be no “ hunting “ every Tom ,dick, and Harry with a gun would be shooting deer, in parks, front yards ,your farm . It would be done daytime, nighttime , by any and all  means .

17 minutes ago, Nomad said:

If there was a teowawki event ,there would be no “ hunting “ every Tom ,dick, and Harry with a gun would be shooting deer, in parks, front yards ,your farm . It would be done daytime, nighttime , by any and all  means .

Exactly.  And all judgment is thrown out the window.