Hunting for food out of season

Five Seasons

The time fir putting food in the freezer is during the regulated season, fill tags then and donate to friends and fam, keep an eye out fir fresh roadkill first...if it’s anarchy ok go hunt but let’s not get there 

I’ve heard from Amish the meat is no good from May-Early August

4 hours ago, Daveboone said:

My mothers family was very....well lets just admit my grandmother was the first adult to hold down a real job (and then for fifty years at the Cortland Corset Factory). Historically, they always lived very close to the land...they poached year round. Not uncommon, as nobody really had jobs, and they just usually did day work...which was very common. Back then (pre-nineteen 30s) there was no game. The land was pretty much cleaned out due to illegal hunting. Deer were seldom seen, and when they were they were shot on sight. All these families could be said to be needy. The end result took decades to recover from. We have more deer now in NY then ever before. If times got hard again (not "oh, we cant go to Disney this year hard...but cupboards are bare, 1930s depression hard ) our deer herds would probably get wiped out again in the first year. 

If industrial agriculture remains so will the deer...still don’t shoot them out of season

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

With the decline of hunter numbers, the plethora of deer (especially in suburbs) will be perfectly fine. Biz don’t shoot does, Chef only shoot babies and Jerky misses! I’ll start taking orders now and stamp Costanza prices on that $hit!!!

Teach a man to shoot feed him for ever- can’t use the “sell the $1000 bow” line.

And I can’t fish to eat worth a shot...fly fishing okay but that just don’t produce the meat as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your name is crappyice and you don’t have a freezer full of slabs...now my world has been upended 

Just now, crappyice said:

We had about 3 days of freezing temps this winter. I never caught a crappy unless through the ice...

We have a few in the north end here but my grandfathers best friend has a private beaver lake in the poconos where we have caught 15” crappy but mostly 11-13” slabs they jump in the boat 3rd week in may

Bluegills and Perch are also easy and delicious 

• Like 2

I would rather see someone poach a deer if there was a need than get food stamps..Like others have said , I would go for fish and other legal means 1st... Sell my weapon to buy food? That's just silly talk. What happens when the food runs out?..

I like to think  everybody has there own little community of friends and family. I know that nobody in my group will go hungry ,my food is their food.. My meat freezer is in an outside shed and I've always said if there was anything they wanted , they know where it is. Occasionally some crappie or tenderloin will come up "missing". Lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

If they really needed it ide have no problem with it.  Hell if an elderly couple needed meat ide shoot something for them.   I had this conversation at work yesterday and i told the guy i would take any tickets from the dec to make sure my family had food.   

Farmers should be able to transfer nuisance tags out of season

most that I know that raise cows do not hunt or even eat the deer they do shoot

Edited by OtiscoPaul

I met an ex member on this forum who had fallen on hard times.  I watched him down-grade and sell off excess gear on here on numerous occasions.  He did his best, never asked for an handout, and I respect him for that.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OtiscoPaul said:

The time fir putting food in the freezer is during the regulated season, fill tags then and donate to friends and fam, keep an eye out fir fresh roadkill first...if it’s anarchy ok go hunt but let’s not get there 

I have eaten road kill (local cop let us know ) that was clean killed....head hit, etc. year round, and I agree, spring and summer deer never tasted quite the same and they were much leaner. I would wonder if it was because the best browse/mast, crops weren't matured yet? Kind of like finishing beef cattle on grain.

• Like 1

What about during the season?  Everyone is OK with bending the rules if the guy fell on hard times and is feeding his family?  Shooting at night OK?  Over bait?  How about if he trespasses?  What if he posts a pic of the deer on a hunting website?  

Not trying to be a jerk, just playing the devils advocate.  It’s a slippery slope when you start breaking laws.  What if he can’t find any deer so he breaks into a house to steal food?  Or money?  

• Like 4

What about during the season?  Everyone is OK with bending the rules if the guy fell on hard times and is feeding his family?  Shooting at night OK?  Over bait?  How about if he trespasses?  What if he posts a pic of the deer on a hunting website?  

Not trying to be a jerk, just playing the devils advocate.  It’s a slippery slope when you start breaking laws.  What if he can’t find any deer so he breaks into a house to steal food?  Or money?  
I agree fully. "Need" is a very relative term. There are a lot of people out there that do poach animals without need already. And as mentioned once already, I'm sure a lot of people could come up with a way to purchase or get cigarettes or alcohol but then "need" meat. So no as a generality I do not think one should poach. How many families make poor decisions financially then cry that they are poverty stricken, quite a few. If we are talking survival, which case the person or people has been going with very little or no food then the rules change, but I don't think that case is very often. Take toilet paper this week for example, how many people "Needed" that toilet paper? Probably not many, but as you see the shelves are now empty due to greed and selfishness. If everyone had taken what they needed everyone would still have access to it. Peoples opinion of NEED is shakey ground to begin with.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Are you really gonna get worked up over someone shooting a doe for food ? 

16 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Define need. Try everything possible to make Money to buy food first. Scrub toilets, cut grass, etc. whatever it takes to buy food first before poaching. Go fishing first as well.

This ^ 

The need would have to be great with no other options left. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OtiscoPaul said:

I had a friend give me a bunch of nuisance permit venison he shot in July. Fresh greens , berry eating as food source. I swear it was best venison I’ve had but maybe that was just between my ears 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I had a friend give me a bunch of nuisance permit venison he shot in July. Fresh greens , berry eating as food source. I swear it was best venison I’ve had but maybe that was just between my ears 

I have no experience TF so I’ll definitely believe your pallet over the Amish 

3 minutes ago, johnplav said:

If the shit hits the fan and you're starving near Rochester... I'll give you some venison.  You don't even need to poach it.  It is already neatly packaged and frozen.

Keep it, im getting a fresh one. We are talking worst case scenario here, game laws are going to be the least of anyones worries

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If its strictly for feeding purposes and they cant afford much for groceries. Im completely for it, If they have a bad background with a iffy side.. I may think different. I understand the hardships will come for some if not many people.. but some bring the hardship on themselves.. 

• Like 1