What Hunting Question frosts yer nads ?

fasteddie

I never did like the use of "harvest". I feel it degrades the animal as if it didn't really have a life. Let's accept the truth. We kill the animal. We took their lives. For people who don't like to hear that word "kill", I use "got" or "get". As in I didn't get anything today. Or, I got a couple of squirrels.

As far as questions, the main questions I get have already been posted. "How can you kill an animal?" and "How hard can it be? They're every where." so I'll post one that I don't get to often. "How does shooting a defenseless animal with a gun/bow make you feel more of a man? It's cheating." to which I repond: 1. I don't hunt to feel macho, I hunt to be closer to nature. 2. Nature gave them a keen sense of hearing and smell. Nature gave me opposable thumbs so I can make and use tools.

• Like 1

One one that gets me is a friend knows you hunt and asks " did you catch anything ?"

Yes, I get that all the time, so my reply back is,,,,,, Nope, didn't catch anything at all and I was using a JURK BAIT too.......lol :maninlove::tease::lol:

B):bye:

One one that gets me is a friend knows you hunt and asks " did you catch anything ?"

Thats the same one for me. We have a gas station around here that still does Full Service, and I was on my way home a few days ago from hunting up at my dad's place, so I stopped there for gas since I wouldnt get any gas smell on me, and the girl asked if I caught anything. I looked at her and told her that I wasnt trying to catch anything. She looked at me funny and said "oooook", I was in full face paint and camo. I wonder what she was thinking, but watching her reaction was pretty funny.

See that is a good example...if it came off as sarcastic as it read here ...IMO...when a pretty innocence inquiry is met with.... not an answer per say...... but sarcasm...then guys wonder why ppl don't care for us camo clad hunters...just saying...

Edited by growalot

See that is a good example...if it came off as sarcastic as it read here ...IMO...when a pretty innocence inquiry is met with.... not an answer per say...... but sarcasm...then guys wonder why ppl don't care for us camo clad hunters...just saying...

I had a smile on my face and she was too busy to stand there and hold a conversation.

When people ask why I hunt so much...that gets to me sometimes. If's its unrelated to my family commitments, then I can hunt as much as I want.

Even adding it up, I spend WAY LESS time hunting than others do watching TV laying on the couch over the course of a year.

One hunting buddy is going through that with girls (casual relationships or beginning of them)...of course he's in that 22-25 y/o range and these girls want to confiscate his time...kind of funny watching him go through it since I did the same when I was his age. It's just one of those things people will never understand. Sometimes he looks like he's been chewed up one side and down the other when he show's up to hunt.

Omg, yes, this. I hate it. Why do people say this? Do they think we run around the woods with big nets trying to "catch" wildlife? Is it because people associate hunting with fishing? I don't get it.

Also, I notice its only non-hunters that use the phrase. At least in my experience...

I honestly think a lot of them have a hard time with the word "kill", as in "did you kill anything?". Doesn't really bother me, as long as the person is accepting of me hunting, the terminology they wan't to use is up to them. I think most realize that hunting is not catch and release like fishing can be, so if "catch" is what they want to use they can knock themselves out with the word.

I think the problem with using the word Kill around certain people just paints a bad picture in their heads. Amongst hunters fine but when your around people who do not understand and think Kill is like murder well harvest is a much softer term to use.

• Like 1

Often times I am asked why do you hunt? and occasionally I'll get - its a sin to murder innocent animals.

I put on my most serious face and tell them:

I hunt because I enjoy spending the time outdoors and being one with nature and most importantly closer to God. I tell them to read the Bible Genesis 1:26 where God gave man dominion over the fish in the sea and over every creeping thing. The Bible further

went on to very clearly indicate which kinds of animals were fit for human consumption, and deer were among them. And so I tell them, very plainly then, hunting and killing animals for food cannot be wrong or a sin.

Every time I go hunting I try to remember to say the following prayer -

" The Deer Hunter's Prayer " - by Dale Sunderlin

Heavenly father, to you I pray,

A majestic deer may come my way.

Let my aim be straight and true,

this my Lord, I pray to you.

A swift clean kill is what I ask,

Take his spirit swift and fast.

For his last breath should not be,

One of pain or agony.

Let his soul,

Come to Thee,

To roam your heavens,

Wild and free.

------------------------------------

And no I'm not a Bible thumping Christian - I was just raised to be thankful and praise God for everything that he provides to me and my family.

• Like 2