Would you pass on this one?

TEAZER

We have 300+ acres that we hunt on with not much bedding area. the deer are more or less passin through to and from the crop fields. we do stick to a 3pt on one side rule and take our does. i was tryin to tell them that the guy's on the surounding property's are talking all the 4's and spike's that they are passin on. so in my opinion is the buc's are not getin any older. openin day there was shootin all around us. and not one shot from our guys. they all saw buck's but they were spike's and 4's. so i say if you see it and you want it take it. or take your camera not your gun..

• Like 1

"You can't eat the horns".. If i never hear that silly line from another hunter it will be too soon.. To ya'll that love to through that out there, Usually followed up with that other wonderful phrase, "if it's brown, it's down" i would like to say that to harvest and eat the venison is not the ONLY reason people take to this wonderful sport. And i certainly don't think it's the only noble reason thats for sure. Too me that is in many ways, more degrading to the majestic whitetail deer than the trophy hunters who not only eat the meat, but cherish the antlers and take the pictures and relive the thrill of hunting the most difficult animal to hunt in north America. The Mature Whitetail Deer. I have always defended everyones right to pull the trigger on whatever they want but i think when someone butchers up his deer, and then discards the antlers in the trash just because you can't feed it down your throat, i feel that is in many ways dis-respectful to one of gods most amazing creatures. Just MY opinion..

"Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. . .

To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain, which

sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." ~ Robert Pirsig

Paraphrasing Pirsig if I may, I appreciate a nice rack as much as the next hunter but I don't hunt deer for what's on top of their head. Christ, there's people that breed whitetails for bigger racks and then others will pay to hunt them in an enclosed area. Where does it all end? Be happy with what you can get. If someone wants to hold out for something bigger, more the power to them but don't denigrate someone else's deer by being a horn snob. You can't eat the horns isn't a silly statement, it's true. (except over in Asia where they like to grind 'em up to get their own horn bigger :fie: Wonder if it really works.)

I would pass with the hope he would live a few more years to mature into a trophy buck with a lot of meat on him. With that said, hunt your hunt. I set my goals and they are my goals. Post like this tend to lead to arguments and debates over personal opinion. Opinions are like AH's we all have one and they stink...

"Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. . .

To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain, which

sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." ~ Robert Pirsig

Paraphrasing Pirsig if I may, I appreciate a nice rack as much as the next hunter but I don't hunt deer for what's on top of their head. Christ, there's people that breed whitetails for bigger racks and then others will pay to hunt them in an enclosed area. Where does it all end? Be happy with what you can get. If someone wants to hold out for something bigger, more the power to them but don't denigrate someone else's deer by being a horn snob. You can't eat the horns isn't a silly statement, it's true. (except over in Asia where they like to grind 'em up to get their own horn bigger :fie: Wonder if it really works.)

"You can't hang the backstraps on the wall".. Let me paraphrase that for you . If your going to set out to climb a mountain, then set you sights on the top and prepare to go all the way. If you come up short, at least you gave yourself everything you needed to have the chance to reach it. Otherwise why even bother to try..

"You can't hang the backstraps on the wall".. Let me paraphrase that for you . If your going to set out to climb a mountain, then set you sights on the top and prepare to go all the way. If you come up short, at least you gave yourself everything you needed to have the chance to reach it. Otherwise why even bother to try..

Very true... nobody climbs a mountain just to go half way... that may be where they end up... but the goal is always the top!

Hey dave, have you been hunting in the last month? No thats right you haven't, you aint even in the car heading to that mountain yet.

Would it upset you to know that I throw my antlers to my dogs to use as chew toys?

I have so far seen a few examples of fellas here that talk a good game but in reality they either don't leave the house to hunt or shoot the same kind of deer as every one else.

I would pass with the hope he would live a few more years to mature into a trophy buck with a lot of meat on him. With that said, hunt your hunt. I set my goals and they are my goals. Post like this tend to lead to arguments and debates over personal opinion. Opinions are like AH's we all have one and they stink...

Good post. I see that you accomplished your goal this year for sure!!! No mature buck for me at this point, but make no mistake...I have NO regrets for passing on the bucks that I have. Maybe I'll cross paths with some of those little guys again down the road, maybe I won't...not much more that I can do beyond not dropping the hammer on them myself. Until then, I've got several does resting in the freezer and will enjoy every bite of venison from now until it's gone.

If you are happy tagging a young buck (with your own tag not your wife's) than more power to you. I just can't stomach the guys who kill several yearling bucks every year and than stand behind it with the excuse that there are no big bucks around. The old stand-bye saying of "if I don't kill him the neighbors will" only goes so far too. Many times so-called "trophy hunters" are seen as greedy and ego-driven by the so-called "meat hunters." Yet, they have no problem with taking a little buck just so their neighbors won't get him. That's a pretty selfish act in my book...

The bottom line is: IT'S YOUR TAG. USE IT AS YOU WISH!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

You handed over your hard earned $ to the state for your hunting license, Too many hunters are influenced by others opinions of what is large enough to shoot. I also think that we are brainwashed by all of those huge bucks being shot on those hunting shows. I say shoot what makes you happy, that's what hunting is all about, have fun!

Edited by catskillkid

Hey dave, have you been hunting in the last month? No thats right you haven't, you aint even in the car heading to that mountain yet.

Would it upset you to know that I throw my antlers to my dogs to use as chew toys?

I have so far seen a few examples of fellas here that talk a good game but in reality they either don't leave the house to hunt or shoot the same kind of deer as every one else.

Doewacker, Way to show your true colors.. Sorry i must have touched a nerve. What you say or do with you're antlers is your right and i challenge you to find a post where i have not defended each individuals choice of kill. Also have congradulated every successful hunter i've seen on here no matter how big or small the deer. That includes you. Nice cheap shot though..

I would have to pass on that one. Don't get me wrong ... I have shot MANY deer with much smaller racks than yours over the last 30 years. (probably 100 does also .... used to hunt NJ). But I'm to the point now that I really don't feel like bucthering any more so if I shoot something he's gonna be at least as big as "the last one"! Congratulations!