Camp on or off grid..

ncountry

We are getting closer to closing on a 100 acre piece of woods. A friend and I initially entered into this with ideas of keeping it and hunting it. 

After walking it we've decided to flip it instead.  Our plan is to log it, create a few food plots and build a small camp.. currently the power doesnt run to the property. I expect it to cost 5-10,000 to get power.  

What do you think?

Just now, left field said:

Power is a game changer. If you don't want to go the expense of bringing it in, I would look for a good solar system which could be had for much less. Easily recouped in the sale price.

My thoughts were that most would prefer power and we would recoup our costs..

And sometimes hold it for days. 

The outhouse is getting full so I need to build another but instead of a pit I may just put a cheap composting system in. Basically, a five gallon bucket with another bucket of peat moss beside it. When full, it gets composted under straw in a bin at the back of the property. 

We specifically looked for a camp in an area that did NOT have power, because it is a self limiting factor for area development and we wanted to keep maintenance costs as low as  possible. Alot depends on the type of use you anticipate the camp being used for. We are totally off grid. Propane lights and stove, but we are in the early planning for a simple inexpensive solar set up just to run LED lights. We have a camp rule of no electronics (tvs, computers etc. ). We go to the camp to be together. A Yamaha 3500 watt generator runs needed tools, etc. or in the warmest weather fans and an airconditioner. 

Know what you are getting into when it comes to running power. My neighbor down the road was planning on running power when he built his camp which became his home to discover...75.000.oo$$$. The power ended over 3/4 a mile away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our PA camp is ran by a Honda Inverter 2200 generator and its plenty with a boat 5 gallon gas tank. We have a 120 gallon water tank and have pex lines ran to the bathroom, kitchen sink, and hot water tank. The water pump is fueled by 12v car batteries. The hotwater, stove, heat, and gas lights are ran off 100 lb propane tanks. Full size fridge and freezer. Works very well. We also have a TV with a antenna and get about 40 channels from Scranton and Binghamton. 

(our bathroom has a normal toilet but is just a big hole in the ground under it)

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1