Should this be legal ?

132 eight pointer

Here Doe, i'll do you one better. here's an over head view of exactly how to get to it. You have my permission to use it anytime. Because your an eastsider, you may want to get directions to Mendon Ponds Park first, and then just use this to find it.. Let me know how that goes..LOL

post-1355-0-33805800-1323215093_thumb.jp

now trailers.............according to DEC, thats illegal

Not true. We actually went over this last year. A member had a question about building a box blind on top of a trailer frame to make it easy to move. After a lengthy discussion, I emailed DEC about it and they replied back to me stating hunting from the trailer mounted blind is legal as long as the ATV, truck or other motorized vehicle is no longer attached to it. Heres a copy of the email...

"Thank you for your email. In regards to your recent email, it is legal to hunt off the trailer you are constructing. However, it would be illegal if you kept the truck or ATV attached to it while hunting. I have copied the section of law that pertains to your question which you will find below.

No firearm except a pistol or revolver shall be carried or possessed in or on a motor vehicle unless it is unloaded in both the chamber and the magazine, except that a loaded firearm which may be legally used for taking migratory game birds may be carried or possessed in a motorboat while being legally used in hunting migratory game birds, and no person except a law enforcement officer in the performance of his official duties shall, while in or on a motor vehicle, use a jacklight, spotlight or other artificial light upon lands inhabited by deer if he is in possession or is accompanied by a person who is in possession, at the time of such use, of a longbow, crossbow or a firearm of any kind except a pistol or revolver, unless such longbow is unstrung or such firearm is taken down or securely fastened in a case or locked in the trunk of the vehicle. For the purposes of this subdivision, motor vehicle shall mean every vehicle or other device operated by any power other than muscle power, and which shall include but not be limited to automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, trailers and motorboats, snowmobiles and snowtravelers, whether operated on or off public highways. Notwithstanding the provisions of this subdivision, the department may issue a permit to any person who is non-ambulatory, except with the use of a mechanized aid, to possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle as defined in this section, subject to such restrictions as the department may deem necessary in the interest of public safety, and for a fee of five dollars. Nothing in this section permits the possession of a pistol or a revolver contrary to the penal law.

Thank you for your concern,

Dispatcher 26

NYSDEC

Office of Public Protection Dispatch Centers

877-457-5680

www.dec.ny.gov

NYSDEC

Office of Public Protection Dispatch

Central Dispatch - 518-408-5850

Ray Brook Dispatch - 518-897-1300

www.dec.ny.gov

This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain highly sensitive and confidential information. It is intended only for the recipients named. If you receive this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete e-mail from your system."

just think of this you need to be 500' from a building occupied or un occupied so i f you build one near the edge of your property your neighbor cant hunt legaly unless you give him/her permission.... looks like another can of worms is being opened...

I have no problem with it myself. I think a TV, stove.. is a bit over the top and would hinder my experience but to each their own. I am planning on building a box tower this summer on my property so my son who is 9 can hunt with me and be safe, protected from the elements, so he enjoys it and can stay out longer. As well as to cover up his movements cause well he is a kid!!

Now that brings up a question. The new NYS laws on bowhunters the age of 12 and 13 yr. old bow hunter can hunt from an elevated stand but a 14 or 15 year old can not hunt with a gun in an elevated stand? That makes no sense!!

Now that brings up a question. The new NYS laws on bowhunters the age of 12 and 13 yr. old bow hunter can hunt from an elevated stand but a 14 or 15 year old can not hunt with a gun in an elevated stand? That makes no sense!!

I can't say that surprises me in the least. One question...since I don't have kids in this age bracket. can a 13 yo bow hunt during the regular season if they use a bow?

I can't say that surprises me in the least. One question...since I don't have kids in this age bracket. can a 13 yo bow hunt during the regular season if they use a bow?

Yes from my understanding they just need to be accompanied by a adult with 3 years or more experience bow hunting and licensed..

just think of this you need to be 500' from a building occupied or un occupied so i f you build one near the edge of your property your neighbor cant hunt legaly unless you give him/her permission.... looks like another can of worms is being opened...

very interesting. I would say if you needed a town permit to build it, then yes the 500' rule would come into play. If no permit is needed it's going to up to the lawyers I guess.

I have a 100year old 8' x 8' ground blind with an old wood stove. It sits 40 yards from my tree stand. If weather allows all day in tree stand, if not, warming up is great, and yes I have taken deer from it, they taste the same

Edited by scobar

ah the worst part was trying to get dressed in the morning out of the trunk, couldnt feel my fingers and I couldnt figure out how we were going to wade across the creek that morning. Thankfully we decided to hit another spot instead, hell of a still hunt and stalk that day, in ski pants. lol I will never forget that one for sure.

I didn't think it got that cold in Zimbabwe, or wherever the heck it is you guys are from anyway. B)

I think these sorts of stands are great. Weather is not great climb in one, wanna bring the mrs/kiddies out perfect place to be. As for all the bells and whistles...why not have a cooker and heater? If I am going to spend the effort, money and time into getting one of these put together might as well trick it out to fit my personal preference. I don't think it makes them any less of a hunter if anything a smarter hunter. We all have been uncomfortable in the stand whether it be from the cold, rain, butt falling asleep from sitting so long...so If I was able to keep warm, have a hot meal, relax in a comfy chair, and harvest a deer all at the same time seems like a no brainer. All this talk and I am thinking of some great interior design ideas...mine would probably look like my college dorm room...couple of Bills posters and pennants (even though they've killed me the last few week...actually the last 26 years but thats another story), a couple girly pictures, print outs of big bucks to keep me motivated on the slow days and a cooler within arms reach full of bee..I mean soda and snacks....ahh how great would that be!

• Like 1

It's the same thing as a tree stand as far as I am concerned... Only dif is you can be out of the bad weather and if it is enclosed it will keep scent to a minimum and keep you warm. Only issue I would see is people complaining it's not "real" hunting cause you are not in the "outdoors" you are inside... Many hunters would equate this to hunting from a dwelling. Great idea to get young kids into the outdoors. Don't think I could ever use one but if it was -21 with wind chill I would contemplate it for extra time hunting. Great for the old and disabled... Dam I though I was lazy hiking 3 miles while hunting but that takes the cake. Kinda takes the "fair chase" out of hunting if you ask me. Deer should have a chance at seeing me while hunting but to each his own...

• Like 1

And I almost compare some of the thoughts on this thread to those guys I used to play football with and wouldn't wear layers when it was freezing cold just pads and jersey but it was like their mentality was if you have to bundle up in Under Armour etc. then your a sissy? Actually I want to layer up to be warm and more comfortable so I can be a better player and concentrate on my own job on the field and not be distracted because I am freezing. No less of a tough guy, just like hunting from a elevated blind makes you less of a hunter. Now if your shooting from your bedroom window/or camper thats one thing. But if you have the resources to put one of these together and make it work to your benefit to give you a better opportunity to harvest a deer then thats what its all about. Isn't that what we all do every year when the new hunting gear comes out that we drool over...we want to get our hands on whatever is going to make the hunt easier, more enjoyable, help us to be successful in the field. Thats why most of us aren't hunting with a tree branch, vine string and flint rock broadhead.

Really less than the cost of many treestands out there. We put two of these ou this year. they are 4'x4' and 6'4" high at the low end of the roof. (regulated at that height so my head doesn't hit...lol) It cost us about $110 for each one. they can be tipped down by two guys and into our trailer we pull behind the wheeler and relocated if neccessary. we had to stay low to the ground or visibility would have been a problem. onw is 2' off the ground the other is 4' . We are putting up anoth one next year in an area that will require an 8' platform height.

post-152-0-94741400-1323295996_thumb.jpg

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Has anybody seen any official DEC definition of a "building" as regards the 500' law? After all these blinds can be occupied, and the reason for the 500' proximity law is to protect individuals that are inside of "buildings". I mean an arrest based on one of these blinds would be an incredible act of "pickyness" but then I have heard of some CO's that might take advantage of just such a ridiculous notion....lol. Good grief could that law apply to old outhouses, or some of those half destroyed old barns you see falling down in the middle of a field? .....Kid's treehouses? ........ old deserted farm houses ....... elevated hunting blinds? Interesting thought.

I know dec does not frown upon it. around here, they are all over the place, and you can see them from the road. mine is visible from the road after the leaves fall. There is a dec officer who lives on a road that is peppered with homemade blinds. He has never said anything to us about it.

I think Doc is talking about the 500' rule and these blinds. If you put one on your property line and it was determined to be an occupied structure you could efect hunting on 500' of your neighbors land. He then could build one next to you on his property and keep you from hunting on your land. I would love to see an official ruling on this.