End of a era

Chef

So some of you know this but most don’t. After much internal debate I have decided to sell my Camp. Actually went to contract last week and will close by September 25th. It was a really tough decision for me but owning it with my wife’s cousin we have just outgrown the property.

When we first bought it it was just the two couples. Now we have 3 kids and 3 dogs between us and there is just not enough room in the house. That being said it is also very tough to own property with family when you have different priorities for its use.

My one saving grace is my brother in law has a house in 3R that backs up to 400 acers of Huntable land, all be it bow only. I’m really excited to explore and get to know this new land.

I will say I’m really going to miss opening day with the boys at camp. There was always at least 3 of us there and someone usually got a shooter buck.

My biggest fear in all this is being forced back onto public land during gun season. It will only be a few years before I go out and by a camp of my own but I’m going to miss opening day as I will not hunt state land that morning. Counting the shots ring out and seeing who was shooting early was something I looked forward to all year.

Any way I know this kind of came out as a ramble as I haven’t even fully wrapped my head around it.

Thanks for listening guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I know u have been talking about moving . Maybe you can find everything together at the new house with some hunting land to boot. Or maybe a close by lease. 

Oh the plan if I move is to make it a one stop shop, home and hunting land out the back door. It’s a requirement but it’s looking like it’s a few years away. I may try and find a lease next year. Wondering if there are leases out there with a rustic cabin with a least a wood stove

• Like 1

Chef, everything happen for a reason, my friend.  That phrase is something I deeply believe in, and for those who truly know me, know it’s something I always try, and fall back on....
Good luck with the future.

I agree! I’m sad to see it go but not upset. Heck I’m the one who had the idea to sell in the first place.

• Like 1

Your fear of public land is unfounded for the most part...the past few years you could count the number of shots opening weekend on one hand. Lots of state land out there, scout around, find a place off the hard roads... take a freind and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I know it is I just hate all the downstate public land

That could be a good thing.. This might be the last year at our camp also...I was told I would be the first to buy but still have one in college so not sure I can just yet..

Yea honestly I set up cams behind my brother in laws and I’m super excited about that, got 500 pics on one cam in 3 weeks and 480 of them were daytime

• Like 3

We got our own camp for pretty much the same reason. We had use of a family camp and initially were the only ones using it for years. We were told to make it our own. Wonderful idea in principal, but then whenever we went to use it to "get away", we always ended up with company. When we went to make improvements all the sudden they turned into huge projects that were beyond our time ability and $. Time for our own little place, which we have been very happy with since. And we dont have to tell anyone we are going, and i do what I want!

We got our own camp for pretty much the same reason. We had use of a family camp and initially were the only ones using it for years. We were told to make it our own. Wonderful idea in principal, but then whenever we went to use it to "get away", we always ended up with company. When we went to make improvements all the sudden they turned into huge projects that were beyond our time ability and $. Time for our own little place, which we have been very happy with since. And we dont have to tell anyone we are going, and i do what I want!

Exactly that and my son is 3 right now in another year or two I can get a camp a little further up as the drive is more tolerable

15 hours ago, Chef said:

Oh the plan if I move is to make it a one stop shop, home and hunting land out the back door. It’s a requirement but it’s looking like it’s a few years away. I may try and find a lease next year. Wondering if there are leases out there with a rustic cabin with a least a wood stove

I did this exact same thing. Bought my first piece of ground in 1991 and put a house on it in 2008.
Best. Thing. Ever!

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

I did this exact same thing. Bought my first piece of ground in 1991 and put a house on it in 2008.
Best. Thing. Ever!

That’s awesome! I would actually love to build a house instead of buying one. And having hunting land out the back door would be a dream. Especially with my new role at work it’s either work from home or travel so having the ability to sit a stand for a few hours before and after work would be amazing

That’s awesome! I would actually love to build a house instead of buying one. And having hunting land out the back door would be a dream. Especially with my new role at work it’s either work from home or travel so having the ability to sit a stand for a few hours before and after work would be amazing

This may be your best of both worlds options. Pick up the land now (they ain’t making more) - look into “lease to buy” properties. Even better if it has a structure on it to at least store gear or maybe hold a stove for a few cots....not too comfortable or you will never build!
Good luck Cuomo-lover!!!!! JK!!!!!

• Like 1

I did the same bought land in 93, added to it in 99, 2003,2005  Built house in 2006, added more land in 2010, and 2019.  You will never regret it , the oaks I planted in 94 are now producing crops of nuts, hazelnuts have been producing for years now, chestnut as well, ponds build and stocked,  foodplots trails... no reason to leave to go camping simply walk out the door, nice the closest neighbor is 2000 plus feet away.. 

• Like 3