EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

Work on your reading comprehension skills. The first sentence, says “3 weeks in a temperate climate.” If a wet swamp, with no shade in the August, early sept We just had, isn’t temperate, I don’t know what is.

i never said that deer died a week ago? One that died about 12 days ago, is basically a skeleton now, since I walked past It again today..

Edited by Yorehntr

Yore, maybe you can help me. Tell me wat I am doing wrong. I found this dead head and posted the pic the day I found it (1st pic, DEC 29, 2019). I wanted to get it down to bone and do a euro (never tried one). I figured I would let nature dot eh dirty work for me. Please see the results after sitting outside all summer. (2nd pic, Sep 20, 2020, moved him into the garage for better lighting). 

6753317C-C495-4AEB-9BD4-C8C7282B3B7B.jpeg

4706EC74-E0AD-47F1-97DB-315320583B81.jpeg

Edited by squirrelwhisperer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Yorehntr said:

Work on your reading comprehension. The first sentence, says “3 weeks in a temperate climate.” If a wet swamp, with no shade in the August, early sept We just had, isn’t temperate, I don’t know what is.

I ve worked in a swamp digging for a museum of science, paleontology dig for over 25 years  and it's still a month or more as many time we found recently dead animals and watched them.decay over the 4 weeks we dug.  To bone as you stated is still over a month.

• Like 2

Why the hell would people on here turn something as simple as EHD into some conspiracy theory nonsense? The ignorance on display is staggering.

Take an hour, do a Google search on EHD. It's not a mystery, it happens every year in different locations. Its effects are well documented.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Why the hell would people on here turn something as simple as EHD into some conspiracy theory nonsense? The ignorance on display is staggering.

Take an hour, do a Google search on EHD. It's not a mystery, it happens every year in different locations. Its effects are well documented.

Never said it wasnt happening, just question the death find time line of decomposition,  and I hope.all have been turned over to dec,  as I have not seen an official update since sept 6th

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Yore, maybe you can help me. Tell me wat I am doing wrong. I found this dead head and posted the pic the day I found it (1st pic, DEC 29, 2019). I wanted to get it down to bone and do a euro (never tried one). I figured I would let nature dot eh dirty work for me. Please see the results after sitting outside all summer. (2nd pic, Sep 20, 2020, moved him into the garage for better lighting. 

Squirrel from my understanding the EHD does something to accelerate the body’s break down. Finding a healthy deer if that what your deer was would be different. I’ve heard the elevated body temperatures has something to do with it. Not sure if anything else is involved.

Realize too when even a completely raw hide is dried the hair could stay attached and the meat would even stay. Imagine dried meat. It’s not disintegrating quickly. Also think of trapper skins or even those used by fly tiers. They can last a long time dry. I’d assume if you got it in Dec it was cold. Cold air slows break down. If it dried out and you kept it dry it could stay that way extra long. 

If you want nature to help I’d help nature by providing things needed for break down. To be honest. I woulda just skinned it. If it’s now dry soak it to rehydrate

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Thank you sir..these fellas still believe in Russian collusion. And now, my fully formed rack that was discovered in a tidal marsh, died way back in June. I guess He had Some great genetics..

now we got another fella here , that Essentially created a mummified deer head in his back yard..wondering why it won’t rot. 

3 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Squirrel from my understanding the EHD does something to accelerate the body’s break down. Finding a healthy deer if that what your deer was would be different. I’ve heard the elevated body temperatures has something to do with it. Not sure if anything else is involved.

Realize too when even a completely raw hide is dried the hair could stay attached and the meat would even stay. Imagine dried meat. It’s not disintegrating quickly. Also think of trapper skins or even those used by fly tiers. They can last a long time dry. I’d assume if you got it in Dec it was cold. Cold air slows break down. If it dried out and you kept it dry it could stay that way extra long. 

If you want nature to help I’d help nature by providing things needed for break down. To be honest. I woulda just skinned it. If it’s now dry soak it to rehydrate

Crap! Leave it to me to mess the simple things up. Maybe I should just rip the antlers off and use them to rattle. 

@Yorehntr

Even the Googans can kill nice deer on the Island, we have so many. I see it a lot like fishing in that, we are better fisherman than the guys in Florida. They have so many more fish that it is easy to catch a mess of them. Now when you catch a mess of them here while there aren’t a true mess to be caught, You are a good fisherman. The guys in areas with very few deer that consistently bag many or “trophies”, them boys can hunt. 

Me, I still have thousands of questions, the answers to which will make me a much better hunter than I am now. That’s why I am on this forum, to glean knowledge. No newbie or googan for sure, but not going to be hired for a tv show anytime soon. 

34 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Yore, maybe you can help me. Tell me wat I am doing wrong. I found this dead head and posted the pic the day I found it (1st pic, DEC 29, 2019). I wanted to get it down to bone and do a euro (never tried one). I figured I would let nature dot eh dirty work for me. Please see the results after sitting outside all summer. (2nd pic, Sep 20, 2020, moved him into the garage for better lighting). 

Soak it in a bucket or tote for a couple.of days ,then stake it to an ant hill and cover with tote.  If you want to keep.patina on antlers wrap in. Foil , will take a few months but they clean it well. Will take longer now as we are heading to winter but now its mummified can save and do next spring as well .

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

Thank you sir..these fellas still believe in Russian collusion. And now, my fully formed rack that was discovered in a tidal marsh, died way back in June. I guess He had Some great genetics..

now we got another fella here , that Essentially created a mummified deer head in his back yard..wondering why it won’t rot. 

Why don't you spend more time trying to contact the authorities ,i can only imagine they've already hung up on you more then once.  

3N - Mahopac/Carmel. I walked my dad’s land where I hunt today. No deaths, no smell of death thankfully. But no water. Weakest cam year for me, but hopefully just a coincidence along with seemingly no acorns. Talked to a few others in 3N (put Valley, Carmel and Mahopac) that haven’t seen anything dead yet. Same for several towns in 3S. So hopefully it stays north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

3N - Mahopac/Carmel. I walked my dad’s land where I hunt today. No deaths, no smell of death thankfully. But no water. Weakest cam year for me, but hopefully just a coincidence along with seemingly no acorns. Talked to a few others in 3N (put Valley, Carmel and Mahopac) that haven’t seen anything dead yet. Same for several towns in 3S. So hopefully it stays north.

EHD is typically very localized ,according to the reading i was just doing .

• Like 2

Have you considered moving the cam?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

you screwed up leaving the hide on. ask me how i know. lol also i put mine under a Rubbermaid tote with CMU block on top of it and all that within a metal compost cage. i should go out and check it again but it's not going anywhere.

• Like 1

No idea whats going on far south of here. all i know is EHD is really reallly bad.  DEC manages with a fish eye lens.  your local property and the surrounding neighbors could have nothing for hunting in years. person in the next town over will think you're on crack with what you're saying.

the decomposition statements I am finding hard to believe though, at least for the cleaned skull. hide really takes a while as Gman said.

Frost hitting tonight and possibly tomorrow night so no need to worry up here.

Why aren’t they devoured to the bone? Uhh.. maybe they just died within the last couple days? Haven’t you embarrassed yourself enough? 

or do you want me to go back into the woods, my next day off, to take a picture of a near pile of bones, that was fresh intact body that I had previously posted...
if you need further embarrassment lmk..  
Take pictures with the days newspaper as proof of real true pictures

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Soak it in a bucket or tote for a couple.of days ,then stake it to an ant hill and cover with tote.  If you want to keep.patina on antlers wrap in. Foil , will take a few months but they clean it well. Will take longer now as we are heading to winter but now its mummified can save and do next spring as well .

you failed to mention how much it sinks to all hell after you soak it. lol