DanD

Site In with BH209

Finally took the plunge and have everything I need to switch over to BH209. Going to be using CCI primers and Barnes 250 gr TMZ sabots. When it comes to siting in for the first time, anyone have guidance on what weight to start with? I was going to start with 70 grains by weight using my RCBS Chargemaster and site in at 50 yards. Get it dialed in then experiment at 100 yards with 70, 75, and 80 grain charges to see what groups the best. Or is there a better way?

• Like 1

makes sense to me dan.  I started with 250g barnes t-ez and 120g by volume and it shot so well, I never tried another combo.   Still on original site in 7 seasons later. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DanD said:

Finally took the plunge and have everything I need to switch over to BH209. Going to be using CCI primers and Barnes 250 gr TMZ sabots. When it comes to siting in for the first time, anyone have guidance on what weight to start with? I was going to start with 70 grains by weight using my RCBS Chargemaster and site in at 50 yards. Get it dialed in then experiment at 100 yards with 70, 75, and 80 grain charges to see what groups the best. Or is there a better way?

Should have also mentioned this is in a CVA Accura V2. I bought the BH breach plug to eliminate a potential variable to blame.

I saw alot of guys having good luck with 100g in the CVAs, I tried that first and stayed with it . My buddy shoots the same in his accura and my fathers Optima also shoots 100g.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I saw alot of guys having good luck with 100g in the CVAs, I tried that first and stayed with it . My buddy shoots the same in his accura and my fathers Optima also shoots 100g.

By volume I assume

11 minutes ago, phade said:

CCI209M primers are the better option for BH209. The stuff likes it hot.

I read this on some earlier posts/other forums. Took some effort to find them, but I finally was able to get my hands on them last week.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

in looking at the load data, stepping up to 120 grains by volume gets you an extra 200ft/sec. Most of my shots are 80 yards or less so as long as she shoots good with 100grain by volume (70 by weight), I'll stick with that.

18 minutes ago, DanD said:

in looking at the load data, stepping up to 120 grains by volume gets you an extra 200ft/sec. Most of my shots are 80 yards or less so as long as she shoots good with 100grain by volume (70 by weight), I'll stick with that.

As long as you have the time to dial it in then go nuts , I didnt focus much time on my MZ set up . Please share your findings for the other CVA guys to try out if you get a chance .

Agree with Jeremy ... please share. 

I started sighting in my Optima today and used 100 gr by volume of BH 209 with 245 gr powerbelts. Took five shots to hit the centre. I don't have sled to steady the gun so I was just leaning it on an archery target and I think I was flinching a bit.

I have a question. Will the BH QRBP work with White Hots or should I switch back? I have a box I'd like to try. 

Edited by left field

i have BH209 and everything to go with it for my TC Prohunter. it's still sat in the safe. lol this season might be the one to get it back out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA

I always started low at 70 or 80 grain and got my.left to right dialed in, then noticed that every 5 grain raised impact bay about an inch.. keep adding 5 grain till I hear a sharp crack and then fine tune .

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

I started measuring powder with a digital scale/dispenser. When I was transferring the charges to powder tubes, I noticed that my charges weren't lining up as expected. For instance a 70 grain by weight charge should = 100 grains by volume according to information from the vendor. Yet, when I dumped the charge into the tube it was closer to 90-92 grains by volume. Not sure how accurate those tubes are, but I'm going to reset my scale tonight and re-dispense the powder to see if I FUBAR'D zeroing the scale. 

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I started measuring powder with a digital scale/dispenser. When I was transferring the charges to powder tubes, I noticed that my charges weren't lining up as expected. For instance a 70 grain by weight charge should = 100 grains by volume according to information from the vendor. Yet, when I dumped the charge into the tube it was closer to 90-92 grains by volume. Not sure how accurate those tubes are, but I'm going to reset my scale tonight and re-dispense the powder to see if I FUBAR'D zeroing the scale. 

Not sure if this helps Dan, but my scale shows 120g by volume to be 90g by weight exactly.  154g with tube and cap minus empty tube and cap of 64 = 90.   I think my scale is accurate as I often weigh arrow heads.  The powder at 120 just covers the 120g line.  Be sure to shake the tube a bit to let the powder settle.