Most challenging way to kill a whitetail ?

zeke83

Today it seems that all the tv shows, hunting products, magazines, and forums are always trying to make it easier to kill a deer. I want to know what is the most challenging way to kill a whitetail here in NY...With what weapon and what method. For example, spot and stalk with a handgun or long bow from a tree stand.

Simple question, Bare hands.

Sit as quiet as possible on a known trail or near a food source. When the deer comes within arms reach (I've had this happen numerous times), grab the deer and the let the battle begin. No knives or any sharp tools. Just bare heads, choke the deer out cold or snap the neck.

Simple question, Bare hands.

Sit as quiet as possible on a known trail or near a food source. When the deer comes within arms reach (I've had this happen numerous times), grab the deer and the let the battle begin. No knives or any sharp tools. Just bare heads, choke the deer out cold or snap the neck.

"Local hunter found dead from apparent deer attack. The victim suffered several wounds, and had hoofprints on various parts of his body, especially the forehead. The county medical examiner is checking for signs of sexual assault"

• Like 1

Here's what I always thought would be one heck of a challenging way to get a deer: Make my own primitive longbow from a self procured native wood, with a sinew string. Make my own arrows from local wood, with turkey feathers, and knapped flint broadheads. In other words everything gathered and made as authentically primitive as possible. Absolutely nothing purchased, including scents, ground or tree stands, camo, etc., etc. And then go out and take a deer (any deer) with only the gear that I made. There's a case where even a spike or doe would deserve center attention on my wall and I would probably incorporate a bow and arrow rack into the mount to hi-lite the equipment. Now there is a challenge!

Here's what I always thought would be one heck of a challenging way to get a deer: Make my own primitive longbow from a self procured native wood, with a sinew string. Make my own arrows from local wood, with turkey feathers, and knapped flint broadheads. In other words everything gathered and made as authentically primitive as possible. Absolutely nothing purchased, including scents, ground or tree stands, camo, etc., etc. And then go out and take a deer (any deer) with only the gear that I made. There's a case where even a spike or doe would deserve center attention on my wall and I would probably incorporate a bow and arrow rack into the mount to hi-lite the equipment. Now there is a challenge!

Sure.. now you have me thinkin'!! I like it!!

Hunt Moose River Plains, does not matter what you use, It's a challenge. Since 1991 I think my camp of about 2-8 guys(depending on year) have seen about 30-40 deer and only 6 of them were bucks... Not the greatest stats but thats forever wild... Try still hunting in the early season with any bow, I found it very hard with all the ground cover catching onto everything...

Two I have on my bucket list

1) Flintlock on a snowy day... 100" buck or better... Adirondack Mts...Tracking ... hard just keeping powder dry.

2) Recurve... cedar arrow... P&Y Buck.. from the ground.. inside 20 yards.. this one I have had all the elements a few times but without a clear shot... pretty exciting watching a 125 class buck walk by inside 20 yards without a shot.. be even more exciting when I do get a shot.