My shed hunting trophies...

WNY Bowhunter

WOW!! Cool collection. No wonder some of you guys say the deer herd is doing well. I do not think I could find that many in my lifetime up here (esp. that big).

Believe me when I tell you that I've walked a whole lot of miles over hundreds of acres to find those!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

These are the matched pair I found about 7 years ago. They are really nice, might score in the 140's plus? They have some decent mass.....................................

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

amherst really does have some monster bucks around also north tonawanda along river road

Believe me when I tell you that I've walked a whole lot of miles over hundreds of acres to find those!!!

So true.. No disrespect intended.. I have covered my share of mile looking for sheds . Sometimes it was productive, sometimes not, but always better than sitting on the couch.

Geeze you guys must have flipped a lot of rocks to find that many sheds. Ive been trying to find the rock that 2 bucks I have on camera put there sheds under all week and still no beans. They must have put them under the ones I cant lift I guess.

How do you know that they dropped them already??

I'm sitting here bored out of my mind so I decided to dig out the shed collection. Here's what I've picked up over 4 years of looking (74 sheds, several broken mainbeams). As you can see, this ain't Iowa...lol! Man, I can't wait to get out there in a couple of weeks and start walking around trying to add some more to the count.

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1019-1.jpg

Buck, in all my years of hunting I have never found a shed. Probably because I an not in the woods after gun season. Plus the fact we have no where the size racks you do. Just amazing, nice collection, no wonder you are so up beat to hunt. You know whats out there and what survived the hunting season. I must be hunting in the wrong DMU

All this talk about sheds made me wanna play with my horns this morning too,lol!

I don't have all of them anymore. Ended up selling a washing machine box full of them at my garage sale years ago when I was clearing house for my divorce. Should have about 3x's as many by now, but I can't count them anymore. Kid gotta helluva deal for $6.00.

101_0666.jpg

I only kept my sheds from bucks i killed.. most others are now turkey calls or dog chew toys.. i like em but no room to keep em around. Great collections... ever find the same buck for several years? i have only done that once 3 sheds from the same buck over 5 years...

I only started looking last year because I got the itch after seeing so many picks of them on line. Ionly found 3 last year and they were all 4 point and all the same side. two were found withing 10' of each other. I found them all on the same day in early March but they could yhave come off sooner with all the snow we had.

I just walked the main trails and bedding areas in the woods. Any advice you can offer to a novice? I did find it much easier to get permission to look for sheds than to shoot a deer, but it could be the opening for deer hunting permission down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

where do you guys look for sheds? im 15 and wanna find my first shed! should i do careful slow looks on active trails they walk?

Good question Zach. I asked the same one last year. Wooly, a member on this site, really knows haow to look for these things. He told me field edges, hedgerows and runs are good spots. Take your time, actually I found one last year after taking his advice. I just saw a couple of tines poking out from the leaves not the whole antler.Here's a shed found on L.I. two days ago. I didn't find it a friend did.

Good luck-I'm sure some other guys will post some other advice also.

post-156-0-99202900-1327662321_thumb.jpg

Zack,

I have my best luck checking cropfields (clover, alfalfa) where the deer feed during the antler casting period. Also, hedgerows and brushy areas along fields are good producers too. So far, I have put in 23 hours since late december and have only found a single antler. Be prepared to do a whole lot of walking. Good luck!!!

No great shed hunter but I find them just walking my dog in the woods around town. I also walk my hunting area in crop fields they feed in this time of year. Found 2 just in gun season this year as well and a dead 7 pt yesterday, while dropping my stands .

I also walk areas along side the expressways,590 and 104. here you'll find deer that were hit and ran off a bit. See spots where deer are dead along side the road all the time ? Well get into the spots along the road there, because many run off a bit.....

Good question Zach. I asked the same one last year. Wooly, a member on this site, really knows haow to look for these things. He told me field edges, hedgerows and runs are good spots. Take your time, actually I found one last year after taking his advice. I just saw a couple of tines poking out from the leaves not the whole antler.Here's a shed found on L.I. two days ago. I didn't find it a friend did.

Good luck-I'm sure some other guys will post some other advice also.

Yah he knows alright, private property. If you don't own it or it isn't public then just because it is the off season deosn't give you the right to walk it and collect sheds. In regards to tips, the best spots are food sources the deer are using this time of year, bedding areas and hedgrows or major runs to and from these areas.

FYI road ROW's are fair game ti some extent but getting into the properties adjacent to the roads is not unless you have landowner permission otherwise it's tresspassing so be careful you wouldn't want someone one your hunting ground would you?

• 3 weeks later...

Less walking and more looking. If they are laying flat with the tines sticking up they are easy to spot. Unfortunately 99% of the sheds I have found are not. You really have to take your time, concentrate and look. Pick the brush and the woods apart with your eyes. You really have to concentrate, and not let your mind wonder or the shed will just register in your brain as a stick.

Edited by erussell