Ammo

Buckmaster7600

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Doesn’t it stress you guys out practicing and sighting in with “real” ammo ?

Nope , when I was very young my Mom read me the story of The Three Little Pigs , and the one that built out of bricks seemed smart. Then there was that motto in Boy Scouts, what was that again …. Oh ya Be Prepared. 

That and I don’t run on the “ just in time “ inventory method. 

• Like 2

You still got to cringe just a little bit with every trigger pull, wondering about depleting your supply and where replacements will come from.  Even if you reload, where are you getting primers and what are you paying ?   

I am thinking of making a run up to Bass Pro in Niagara on the Lake Ontario on Super Bowl Sunday like I always used to do and picking up a 100 pack of those.  That is only about a 40 minute drive and our kids like to look at the fish.    

I am being very careful with the 30 or 40 CCI 209 primers that I have left now, but I am pretty well stocked on triple 7 powder.  I am glad I didn’t make the switch to Blackhorn 209 because I hear that is especially hard to find these days.

Runnings in Lockport had a jug of loose Triple 7 a few months ago, when I stopped and I dropped down to 100 grains, so my supply of that should be good for a few years with rationing.  I will switch to loose when my last 40 50 gr pellets are used up.   

One thing I really like about the pellets is that they push out easy and then can be reused with minimal cleanup, loss or fouled breech plug threads. That was always an issue with the loose powder.

You still got to cringe just a little bit with every trigger pull, wondering about depleting your supply and where replacements will come from.  Even if you reload, where are you getting primers and what are you paying ?   

I am thinking of making a run up to Bass Pro in Niagara on the Lake Ontario on Super Bowl Sunday like I always used to do and picking up a 100 pack of those.  That is only about a 40 minute drive and our kids like to look at the fish.    

I am being very careful with the 30 or 40 CCI 209 primers that I have left now, but I am pretty well stocked on triple 7 powder.  I am glad I didn’t make the switch to Blackhorn 209 because I hear that is especially hard to find these days.
Runnings in Lockport had a jug of loose Triple 7 a few months ago, when I stopped and I dropped down to 100 grains, so my supply of that should be good for a few years with rationing.  I will switch to loose when my last 40 50 gr pellets are used up.   

One thing I really like about the pellets is that they push out easy and then can be reused with minimal cleanup, loss or fouled breech plug threads. That was always an issue with the loose powder.

I long ago quit giving a crap what something I enjoy costs. No different than paying an extra 1.50$ for a gallon of gas at the pump when I’m filling the boat, Harley, snowmobile, wheeler or truck. I may bitch but I’m still going to do what I enjoy!

I have no idea how many days I’ll have left on earth and I damn sure won’t let a few dollars get in the way of something I want to do, I’ve never heard of someone on their death bed say they wish they did less.

As for supplies I have plenty, many many years worth of loadedammo even with my way above average shooting habits, and when that’s gone I’ll dust off the press’s and get into the components, I hate reloading but I will if I have to. As for the muzzleloader I got into blackhorn when it first came out and it was hard for me to find so when I did finally find it I bought 16lbs, when I found out Remington STs were the best primers for it I bought 10k of them. I won’t shoot all that powder or primers in 3 lifetimes but I’ll never be without, and I like that feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 8

trigger pulls don't make you cringe when your cost is a fraction of what people are paying for now. I have reloading components except maybe hotter large rifle primers for the deer rifles. when i made it to action pistol shoots this summer i was shooting 9mm at $0.15-.20 per round vs over a $1 that some shooters paid with recently bought ammo. we were doing a shoot per week. isn't cheap when you shoot multiple mags per stage and a handful of stages per shoot. they enjoyed it though so good for them.

Good supply of .40 cal at Cableas in Cheektowaga this afternoon.

Only kicker is when I tried to purchase a box the cashier asked if it was for a rifle or pistol and when I said pistol she asked for my permit.....wtf....now this is a cableas corporate policy thing. 74e5f92db749cbe633924b3c5a6e2882.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Good supply of .40 cal at Cableas in Cheektowaga this afternoon.

Only kicker is when I tried to purchase a box the cashier asked if it was for a rifle or pistol and when I said pistol she asked for my permit.....wtf....now this is a cableas corporate policy thing. 74e5f92db749cbe633924b3c5a6e2882.jpg

Next time tell her it’s for your rifle. Actually it might be a state law as you’re not allowed to buy pistol ammo without a pistol permit, unless you’re using it for a rifle. I can’t tell you how many times that I was asked that when buying 9mm ammo. 

Edited by NonTypical

Next time tell her it’s for your rifle. Actually it might be a state law as you’re not allowed to buy pistol ammo without a pistol permit, unless you’re using it for a rifle. I can’t tell you how many times that I was asked that when buying 9mm ammo. 
I had done that a ton of times at Richard's but was totally caught off guard at Cabelas.

It's a Halloween miracle!  In March of 2020 I ordered 3 boxes of 325WSM for $50 each and free shipping (to a state that's not NY).  Well Covid hit and travel plans and logistics got all messed up, and I actually forgot about it.  I never followed up and checked if I was charged or credited.  To my surprise, yesterday the three boxes were found... turned out they shipped right away.

672B57EC-7539-49CF-9D5A-D89E887C0280.jpeg

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1