Ammo

Buckmaster7600

• 5 weeks later...

Things seem to be getting better here . I have been scoring trap loads for my 12 and some odds and ends . Big box store here in the southern  tier changed the 2 box limit to 5 shotgun and 3 boxes of centerfire. I scored 5 more boxes of trap loads today and 2 boxes of hornaday 308 interlocks.  Last week I managed to get 5 boxes of 20 guage  for grouse and rabbits  . Kind of felt like Christmas  in July... the good kind ... no looting or burning of buildings. 

• Like 2

That’s good to hear !

I haven’t seen to much in stores, but online it’s showing up and prices are coming down , but I don’t feel it’ll ever go back to prices of just a couple years ago though .

Federal Shotshell program for youth shooting sports sold out in less than 6 hours yesterday, I didn’t even have time to collect orders from my clubs. $7 a box for target 12’s. The demand is high with so many new school based trap clubs starting up. Next time I just need to order as soon as I see the form I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are wrapping up 5 days in Maine tomorrow. The other day I stopped in at Kittery, and they had nothing but a few odd ball calibers, waterfowl loads and slugs. L.L. Bean in Freeport had a good selection minus .22’s, but my God, the prices. $60 for .300 Savage and $18 & $19 a box for target load 20’s and 12’s. Crazy stuff!

Figure another two years at least for, things to stabilize. Manufacturers are billions of rounds back ordered, and its increasing daily .

Good thing I’ve got a few lifetimes of ammo .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am having issues finding .300 Savage, 16 gauge anything, and 20 gauge sabots. Have been checking last couple of months for the upcoming hunting seasons.

Stopped at Ramsey Outdoor Sports in NJ - they haven't seen much of the standard hunting caliber's coming in (like 308, 30.06. 30/30, 270, 243). Most of what they get in are the AR calibers and some pistol rounds, but gone in two days.  Similar experience at another shop in Rockland County.

Another shop I was at in Goshen said they have sold 100 guns in 12 days, of course if ammo is in stock, they pick it up with their new gun.

One site I checked has .300 Savage marked as clearance with nothing available.  Wonder if they are stopping any production of it, or if temporary until production starts meeting demand of the standard stuff.

3 minutes ago, Two Track said:

I am having issues finding .300 Savage, 16 gauge anything, and 20 gauge sabots. Have been checking last couple of months for the upcoming hunting seasons.

Stopped at Ramsey Outdoor Sports in NJ - they haven't seen much of the standard hunting caliber's coming in (like 308, 30.06. 30/30, 270, 243). Most of what they get in are the AR calibers and some pistol rounds, but gone in two days.  Similar experience at another shop in Rockland County.

Another shop I was at in Goshen said they have sold 100 guns in 12 days, of course if ammo is in stock, they pick it up with their new gun.

One site I checked has .300 Savage marked as clearance with nothing available.  Wonder if they are stopping any production of it, or if temporary until production starts meeting demand of the standard stuff.

All the .300 Savage I’m seeing in stores is $50-60 a box. I’ve got enough to last a while fortunately. 

Any 16 and 20 is getting bought within hours in my area. 

Last week Walmart only had 2 boxes of 270 in Spring Valley(rest of the shelves were empty of ammo), and only BB and pellets in Harriman location.  Haven't been there this week to see if anything has changed.

Squeezed into Davis Sport Shop in Sloatsburg at 6:50 as they close at 7,  they just got some ammo in, no Savage 300, but had the Sabots for the 20 gauge. Basically $30 per box of 5. Picked up stuff for father-in-law too that he needed.

I handed my wife the reciept, Now the wife understands why I said that she is not going to use the 20 for target shooting/learning to shoot a gun.  She thought the Savage 300 rounds were expensive that I bought 3-4 years ago at about $2.25 per round.

She told me to make every shot count at $6 per round.

What’s interesting is the new buyers , seem to be ok paying today’s prices as it’s all they know . Daughters fiancée thinks 60 cents around for his AR is a good deal .

Hopefully in a couple years supply comes back , but I’m not looking for a large price drop .

Finally found some Savage 300 - old stock - in Rockland in a small shop that I never knew of before.

Remmington 150gr clean-bore haven't seen that on a shelf before (except in my grandfather's gun cabinet).

I remember as kid shooting some Western Super XXX ammo (rifle and shotgun) - guess they are long gone these days.

Now not worried to hit a range to sight in (iron-sights and scope) for the season with the Savage.

11 minutes ago, Two Track said:

Finally found some Savage 300 - old stock - in Rockland in a small shop that I never knew of before.

Remmington 150gr clean-bore haven't seen that on a shelf before (except in my grandfather's gun cabinet).

I remember as kid shooting some Western Super XXX ammo (rifle and shotgun) - guess they are long gone these days.

Now not worried to hit a range to sight in (iron-sights and scope) for the season with the Savage.

Awesome, glad you found some. How much were they getting for it, if I can ask?