Live From The Water 2021!!

The_Real_TCIII

Nice!  I’ve been running a Tohatsu 9.8hp for 4 years and it’s been great.  Only issue was with the fuel tank.  Got it from the same website too… gotta love free shipping on stuff that weighs 100lbs. 
CF0EBC82-7652-4148-AA66-0CAE6306DB76.thumb.png.eb5944d1c3dd0146d7890057b95383c8.png
Sweet, wish mine wasn't so purple in the sun but I'll get over it.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Sweet, wish mine wasn't so purple in the sun but I'll get over it.

I feel like mine has a tint to it too, but not as much as yours.  Plus yours is next to a black boat and a black motor. 

If you get sick of the purple we can trade boats!  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Tohatsu makes all outboards for Mercury and Nissan (under 30hp I believe.) So if you own a small mercury or Nissan, Tohatsu manufactured it.

Not knocking it lol,all I own are jap machines 

• Like 1

I caught 8 smallmouth before the rain this morning up at my in-laws Adirondack place.  Last year, at this time, they were all suspended out over deep water.  Now they are  along the shoreline, because the water is cooler.  This was the longest one today at about 16".   

The previous one was a bit shorter, but fatter and fought harder.  I noted the tail of someone's senko  sticking out of its gullet as I was unhooking it.  I was able to extract that with my needle-noze pliers. 

That was the 65th bass that I have caught here on the same 1/8 oz bucktail jig.  When the rain let's up, I will go back out and see if I can get a few more with it.  It is still in pretty good shape, except for some brown powder-coat paint wore off the bottom of the head.

I bent the barb down for about the last 20, which makes it easier to release them.  They were getting lots of air on the fights this morning. They all fought way harder than those I caught earlier this year (lots of them on Memorial day weekend when I was trying for perch, and limit on opening day on the upper Niagara).

20210703_091009.jpg

20210703_083316.jpg

• Like 6

I should have quit while I was ahead or at least re-tied or loosened my drag.  What would have been number 70 got to keep my lucky jig. It jumped a couple times right after the hookset, then pulled rather easily to the boat.  Apparently, it was saving its strength for a deep dive that parted my 6 pound test fluorocarbon line, right at the knot.

My next 1/8 oz bucktail jig only lasted for two more bass, then I lost it on a snag.  I only have 3 more.   I hope they will last me through the next two days. The count is up to 7 bass on the current one, which I just caught after supper.  I have plenty of 1/16 and 1/4 oz jigs, but they dont work quite as well.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

On 7/2/2021 at 2:51 PM, johnplav said:

Nice!  I’ve been running a Tohatsu 9.8hp for 4 years and it’s been great.  Only issue was with the fuel tank.  Got it from the same website too… gotta love free shipping on stuff that weighs 100lbs. 

CF0EBC82-7652-4148-AA66-0CAE6306DB76.png

Free shipping on a boat engine but Lancaster archery charges 9 dollars to ship a dozen arrow wraps LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I hooked 13 this morning on the topwater bait.  2 of them about the same size as this 15" (biggest one that I landed) were kind enough to unhook themselves at the side of the boat.  At least that many hit it but missed it. 

Most of those that I hooked pounded it as soon as it hit the water.  Almost all that hit while I was "walking the dog", missed it.  

The last one was the coolest.  A big bass buried the bait the second it hit the water.  As I was reeling it in a shorty moved in and yanked it out of the big ones mouth.  The big one escaped, but I landed the little 10 incher.  I witnessed the whole thing in the crystal clear water.

20210704_092818.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 9

The center hook pulled out of my Zara puppy just before sunset out on the middle of the lake just before sunset last night.  I got 6 more smallies out there on it out there then.  They were chasing minnows up all over and I kept rowing the boat to the places where I saw the splashing on the dead calm lake surface.  A cast towards the last action usually brought up a strike.  It is cool getting bass on top over 100 ft of water.

I am going to try and thread another screw eye with treble hook into it.  That is the hook that usually gets them.  If that dont work I will try my only other "chugger" style topwater bait this morning.

• Like 1

I couldn't find a small screw eye for the busted Zara puppy, so I tried the chugger.  It caught a few bigger bass and one Pygmy special.  That was only the second non-smallmouth I have caught from this lake this year including a 12" perch thru the ice on Presidents weekend.

The first 14" bass on the chugger must have broken somebody's worm harness off. I left that with it when I released it. The 17 incher was the 7th and last to hit the chugger. The 18 incher tasted it a little, then engulfed my 1/8 oz jig when I "tossed it a softshell crab".  I ended up with 26 smallies today, between sunrise and 8:30 am.  All but the first (7) were on the jig.

That bass was the fight of the year so far, taking 10 minutes to land on my 6 pound test ultra light.

20210705_125112.jpg

20210705_125032.jpg

20210705_125002.jpg

20210705_124932.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Haha surprisingly it's doesn't look very purple out on the water!

My daughter would love that, purple is her favorite color.  She dont like my old blue Evinrude.

20210705_173110.jpg

Edited by wolc123

22 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I couldn't find a small screw eye for the busted Zara puppy, so I tried the chugger.  It caught a few bigger bass and one Pygmy special.  That was only the second non-smallmouth I have caught from this lake this year including a 12" perch thru the ice on Presidents weekend.

The first 14" bass on the chugger must have broken somebody's worm harness off. I left that with it when I released it. The 17 incher was the 7th and last to hit the chugger. The 18 incher tasted it a little, then engulfed my 1/8 oz jig when I "tossed it a softshell crab".  I ended up with 26 smallies today, between sunrise and 8:30 am.  All but the first (7) were on the jig.

That bass was the fight of the year so far, taking 10 minutes to land on my 6 pound test ultra light.

20210705_125112.jpg

20210705_125032.jpg

20210705_125002.jpg

20210705_124932.jpg

Nice armpit shot in the last picture, Wolc....Reminds me of some of the local farm girls I used to date...<, sigh>>.....

• Like 1