Live From The Water 2021!!

The_Real_TCIII

22 hours ago, crappyice said:

8c1b6d58bde14c5aee2374d536fa8a2a.jpg

You ever look at a spot and even if they aren’t rising you know they are there? That’s the case for this guy.
e7ddacc086d039cc90ac39ac9098355c.jpg
( and yes, I know my net has a few holes!)

One last spot on the Beaverkill before baseball…
08a1bd5c94751bbbe9c16134ce7cd67c.jpg

Above the red mark this beauty chased an Ausable Wulf, took three leaps and flew downstream to where I ended up landing him
2e39aa925e1466adc26457cdeedc46a6.jpg

a852271ef913c734dde5c7a1788fa447.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, is it hard, btw, to float dries in that stretch with all the rocks? Id think it be draggin alot, unless your drifts are short and targeted between them- that sound about right?

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Owasco? 

Def a good day to be out

Yes trolled Owasco from 6 til 1030 and nothing.   Lots of boats out catching trout but we couldn’t buy one but it was still great out there w my son. 

CA086179-F97A-4053-9503-5625043D67F0.jpeg

• Like 3

Cool, is it hard, btw, to float dries in that stretch with all the rocks? Id think it be draggin alot, unless your drifts are short and targeted between them- that sound about right?

Stick and move! The drifts are quick but if you catch the eye of a fish they will chase it down. The strikes can be bass-like on top water!
There are some different tricks(stacking your fly line, aggressively mending and skipping the fly to the zone, mending before the fly hits the water, etc) that you can get away with. since the water is moving so good, its totally different (and more tiresome!) than trying to match a hatch on a steady flowing pool

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:46 PM, crappyice said:

Beaverkill
dbe9829ef21fbe29a60876e4bf8b9406.jpg
Dark caddis pulled him from some fast-ish water.
Had a bead head dropped off the caddis - missed one….good call @The_Real_TCIII

Different spot on Beaverkill…

2 9” stockies hit a sulphur at dark (no pics)

And then this beauty at DARK.
0741f5c4b9dde783fc6cfa1262a46c05.jpg

I threw everything at him earlier and he wanted nothing to do with anything.
After dark I casted to where I knew he was steady feeding from earlier and saw an extra ripple where I thought my fly should be and he was on.

I gotta get back to the beaverkill! Nice fish though

• Like 1

Not a lot but the big ones were hitting.  24", 22", 18.5"  and a monster Sunny and 2 perch. 
IMG_20210620_102656070_HDR.thumb.jpg.1f239b5c001d8864c23db760a31b7ca4.jpg
Those are beauties, I've landed 27 legal eyes since the opener on Oneida and have yet to break the 21" and change mark.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Those are beauties, I've landed 27 legal eyes since the opener on Oneida and have yet to break the 21" and change mark.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

this was definitely the stringer of the year.  Ive only gotten one other big one this year a 23" .  Lots of 15.5 " and of course - 14.5" . 

15 hours ago, crappyice said:

Stick and move! The drifts are quick but if you catch the eye of a fish they will chase it down. The strikes can be bass-like on top water!
There are some different tricks(stacking your fly line, aggressively mending and skipping the fly to the zone, mending before the fly hits the water, etc) that you can get away with. since the water is moving so good, its totally different (and more tiresome!) than trying to match a hatch on a steady flowing pool

Yes, I know what you mean as I use the Reach Cast when i'm dry flyin too, but what do you mean by "skipping"the fly to the zone? Ive never heard of that technique before and would like to try it . :)

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

this was definitely the stringer of the year.  Ive only gotten one other big one this year a 23" .  Lots of 15.5 " and of course - 14.5" . 

Yeah, Ive heard that about Oneida- lots of 'Eyes, but most of the big ones caught out.  I used to fish that Lake and caught a few big ones, but most were just barely legal.  They stock it heavily, right?

18 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Yeah, Ive heard that about Oneida- lots of 'Eyes, but most of the big ones caught out.  I used to fish that Lake and caught a few big ones, but most were just barely legal.  They stock it heavily, right?

Its never really been a lake for big eyes.  Always been a lake with a lot of numbers but not big ones.  Most range 14-17" .  Keepers are 15" .  They actually dont heavily stock it and it wasnt stocked at all last year as the lake had so many walleye.  Cornell did a study and estimated that the lake had a Million walleye already.  

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Its never really been a lake for big eyes.  Always been a lake with a lot of numbers but not big ones.  Most range 14-17" .  Keepers are 15" .  They actually dont heavily stock it and it wasnt stocked at all last year as the lake had so many walleye.  Cornell did a study and estimated that the lake had a Million walleye already.  

Good to hear- it definitely has a rep for being a Walleye factory.  I love Oneida, should get up and fish it again, sometime. 

• Like 1

Yes, I know what you mean as I use the Reach Cast when i'm dry flyin too, but what do you mean by "skipping"the fly to the zone? Ive never heard of that technique before and would like to try it . 

The auasabile wulf floats great and why it’s my primary fly for this type of fishing where the fly skitters(better than skips?) a cross the surface with very little disturbance to the surface. It was a technique taught to me by a guide on the ausable 20 years ago where most of the fishing is pockets of huge boulders.
I’ll cast the fly beyond where it want it. Heavily mend the fly line which will skitter the fly to the zone I want to hit (closer to me). It’s a mend that would absolutely blow up a calm stretch of stream with steady feeding trout but all bets are off when trying to get a 2-3 second clean drift in the right spot.
It’s also quite tiring…constant casting, mending, pick up and do it again. I’ll run the same fly through the same seam 10 times before being convinced no one is home or he’s smarter than me! Then I’ll move down to the next one…and come back later if I “know” a fish is there!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Confish.thumb.jpg.1ae6d525a5470529631066524181e433.jpg

Had a good opening morning Saturday. Double limits for the son and I before 8:30am. Rob may recognize the background. Thanks for the tip bud!

Nice !!!!!!!! Sure do .  That place haunts my dreams!   way to go and great pic!!  Is that amazing there or what?   Its like heaven if Kevin Van Dam built it.   Glad you tried it out. 

Chimney 2016.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Very nice place. Actually had a guy in the camp next to us who's family actually owned the whole place long ago. Got a lot of the history. The whole place is for sale if your feeling a bit cash heavy!!

I cant imagine you couldnt touch it for less than 50 Million.  Owners are from Jersey.  Hope it doesnt close - even though i havent been there in a few years.  If someone buys it there is no way it will stay the same. Those folks must just use it as a loss/writeoff, 6 camps cant possibly cover all that expense.  Those two houses on the hill there are amazing.  My X in laws used to be the caretakers there. But if I won the mega that would be one of my purchases. Bass heaven at a dead end road in the Dacks great place for the summer.  

Me and Corey caught 76 bass there in one day once.  lol and that didnt include the other 2 boats of 4 guys with us. 

Chimney 2014 (3).JPG

Chimney 2014.JPG

Chimney 2017.jpg

chimney bass.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Fletch said:

if they dont sell that in 72 hours the realitor should quit their job.  End of the road and the next 26 miles is all state land.  WOW.  Wish i had it brother....... Maybe Biz will jump on it or sodfather if they take bitcoin. 

No I am still taking it fairly easy on my knee. Next trip.

We stayed in Beechnut which was ok but we got to look in Lakeside and that was a much nicer unit. It was full when I booked.

Edited by Fletch

58 minutes ago, Fletch said:

No I am still taking it fairly easy on my knee. Next trip.

We stayed in Beechnut which was ok but we got to look in Lakeside and that was a much nicer unit. It was full when I booked.

Yeah lakeside is my favorite, all by itself and on the water.  if you go up again have to go into town and hit Martys Chili nights.  Looks like a dive bar but on the side there is a mexican restaurant with 100 tequilas.  They have good food and its just interesting to see it in that town.  

The last time i was up there had a bald eagle 6ft from me.  just love that area.  I once had a camp on that road many years ago.  Looks like a great trip, your pic brought back some memories.  Wish i hadnt sold my little rowboat now.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1