Update on fatal shooting Of Sheridan NY Fire Chief

Deerthug

What the hell did the father think he was shooting at ...... at 100 yards ?

The victim didn't need to be wearing blaze orange . The father shouldn't have been shooting at someone wearing dark clothes !

I was watching "Finding Bigfoot" the other day. They had a guy on that "saw and heard" a squatch breaking sticks in the woods behind his house one night. He fired a couple shots at the monster in the woods but unfortunately never hit him.

Maybe both these guys eyes were playing tricks on them seeing what their minds wanted them to see.

Edited by wooly

I have had my eyes play tricks on me in the woods before. Sometimes seeing "Deer" that were never there. A shadow or log, when light hits a certain way...Thats why they make binoculars though. I would never just point a rifle at anything I was not 100% sure on..........Common sense.

I have had my eyes play tricks on me in the woods before. Sometimes seeing "Deer" that were never there. A shadow or log, when light hits a certain way...Thats why they make binoculars though. I would never just point a rifle at anything I was not 100% sure on..........Common sense.

Good post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad situation. A member of your own party. It just goes to show how careful we have to be. Twilight was the time legal hunting hours were over. That time of day when things get a little grey, you better know what your shooting at. We all know our limits and should stick to them.

Sad stuff. The thing in the article that stuck out to me was this statement...

District Attorney David Foley said, "You are supposed to be wearing orange and he took it off. It is a tragic, tragic situation. Mistakes were made in several different directions."

Thats a crock of you know what IMO. You are supposed to know what you are shooting at, above all else. There is no BO law, and that statement proves to me that there should NOT be a BO law. The excuses for bad judgement and shooting others will be exactly like the statement made by DA Dip Sh*t. IMO, there was only 1 party at fault here, and it wasnt the guy that took off his Blaze Orange.

Sad stuff. The thing in the article that stuck out to me was this statement...

District Attorney David Foley said, "You are supposed to be wearing orange and he took it off. It is a tragic, tragic situation. Mistakes were made in several different directions."

Thats a crock of you know what IMO. You are supposed to know what you are shooting at, above all else. There is no BO law, and that statement proves to me that there should NOT be a BO law. The excuses for bad judgement and shooting others will be exactly like the statement made by DA Dip Sh*t. IMO, there was only 1 party at fault here, and it wasnt the guy that took off his Blaze Orange.

So true, if it isn't a law why say something like that. I do believe it should be law, my opinion on that. Truth is even if it was law the son was gutting a deer, how many of us take off layers before doing this chore??? Something else to remember next year. His father was in his 70's and seems wasn't in the best of health. I'm 48 and know when it's almost dark you eyes can play tricks on you. I would never take a shot 100 yards near dark. I feel sorry for all of them, this never should of happened.

Why Isn't the farther being charged??

This happened in December and they are finally letting it be publicly know it was the father who pulled the trigger?? Come on.....This DA thinks it is MANDATORY to wear blaze orange, but doesnt feel the need to press charges?

Am I the only one that doesn't quite understadn the DA's reasoning?

I guess we have to assume that the old guy really was shooting at his son, and that there wasn't some other critter between the two. But realistically speaking, I would say that this is a hell of a thing for him to take to the grave with him. I think in this particular case, justice will be extremely severe for a split second of misjudgement.

another case of if it isnt orange you can shoot at it. If the father is so demented he can not remember, the last thing he needed in his hands was a gun. Either way it is a tragedy. Blame the dead guy cuz he wasn't wearing BO. That is the exact justification there will be is BO is mandated. Well he wasn't wearing BO, it is his fault, even if he was walking his dog. To me it is a license ot shoot at anything without worry.

Edited by bubba

So true, if it isn't a law why say something like that. I do believe it should be law, my opinion on that. Truth is even if it was law the son was gutting a deer, how many of us take off layers before doing this chore??? Something else to remember next year. His father was in his 70's and seems wasn't in the best of health. I'm 48 and know when it's almost dark you eyes can play tricks on you. I would never take a shot 100 yards near dark. I feel sorry for all of them, this never should of happened.

near dark you should not be hunting anyway. Sunrise to sunset is the law not daylight to dark. But that is another story. I know a few minutes either way does not matter as I recall.

It sure is comical to hear people trying to blame blaze orange for this incident. The fact that we commonly wear blaze orange while deer hunting really has absolutely nothing to do with what happened. To me that is a strange linkage. The guy got shot because of carelessness and unsafe target selection ..... plain and simple. And yes, perhaps if he had thought to hang his blaze orange clothing in a tree next to where he was working, that last minute flash of orange probably would have prevented the tragedy.

funny doc how you leave out the whole part about the father being seriously ill and has no memory and probably should not have had a gun in his hand in the first place. The only one I saw blaming BO was the DA. My simple point is the DA thought it was the dead guys fault because he wasn't wearing it. That will be exactly the mentality of BO is made mandatory. Well he wasn't wearing it so it wasn't my fault.

Edited by bubba

funny doc how you leave out the whole part about the father being seriously ill and has no memory and probably should not have had a gun in his hand in the first place. The only one I saw blaming BO was the DA. My simple point is the DA thought it was the dead guys fault because he wasn't wearing it. That will be exactly the mentality of BO is made mandatory. Well he wasn't wearing it so it wasn't my fault.

No, it's not "funny". It has no relevance to my comment or anything to do with my comments on blaze orange.

The DA is a dork and obviously knows nothing of the law he is supposed to prosecute. Again, that has nothing to do with my reply.

And as far as the mentality if blaze orange is made mandatory, you are simply guessing on that point and have nothing credible to base that claim on. Certainly this incident doesn't make anyone arrive at that conclusion.