First Critter with which Implement ...

Pygmy

Most small game and ducks to my 20g sears roebuck pump with poly choke  on end of the barrel. Missed 3 nice bucks with that gun, all rookie mistakes not the guns fault its actually accurate on improved cylinder and rifle slugs 

First deer good ole mossberg 500 with 24in slugster smooth bore . 

53 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

For waiting to the age of 14 to kill a deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was the legal thing to do , I dont know for sure if my dad was the legal distance away ,we forgot to measure how far apart we were.

3 hours ago, sbuff said:

Most small game and ducks to my 20g sears roebuck pump with poly choke  on end of the barrel. Missed 3 nice bucks with that gun, all rookie mistakes not the guns fault its actually accurate on improved cylinder and rifle slugs 

First deer good ole mossberg 500 with 24in slugster smooth bore . 

Those Sears pump guns were made by High Standard....Another solid , good quality gun at an affordable price...

I believe Montgomery Ward sold Hi Standard guns under their label also..  Other manufacturers that made firearms sold by Sears, Wards, and other store brands were Savage/Stevens , Marlin, and I believe Winchester even made some..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Those Sears pump guns were made by High Standard....Another solid , good quality gun at an affordable price...

I believe Montgomery Ward sold Hi Standard guns under their label also..  Other manufacturers that made firearms sold by Sears, Wards, and other store brands were Savage/Stevens , Marlin, and I believe Winchester even made some..

Couldn't have said it better my self about that sears shotgun

First pigeon taken (eventual after many shots) with a Daisey lever action BB gun.

First muskrat taken with a pellet gun do remember the make or model (took several shots to the head and neck).

First squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, (and probably chipmunk) taken with an tube fed 22LR semiauto with a fancy engraved stock (Winchester Model 77??).

First crow and 'dead right there' pigeon taken with a Winchester Model 1897 12ga.

First whitetail (a 6pt buck) taken with a Winchester Model 94 lever 30-30.

First coyote and woodchuck taken with a Remington Model 7600 30-06.

First whitetail doe and first whitetail with a bow taken using a Buckmaster compound bow.

First grouse and turkey taken with a Mossberg Model 500 20ga.

First fox taken with a Savage Model 12 BTSS in 223 Rem.

No fancy big game or exotic stuff for me..... yet.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

No fancy big game or exotic stuff for me..... yet.

That reminds me, I forgot about my two "fancy big game and exotic stuff" hunts.  On a Quebec moose hunt, when I was in my 20's, the licence I purchased was good for moose, bear and "other species". I didn't see any moose or bear, but did kill my first porcupine (legally), with a Remington model 760 30/06 that I borrowed from my cousin.

On a DIY, OTC tag Colorado elk/mule deer hunt, with a few friends, when I was my 30's, we didn't see any elk.   We did manage to kill 3 mule deer bucks. I killed the smallest (a 1.5 year spike) with my Ruger M77 30/06.  That was my first and last of those.  I say "last", because it tasted like sage brush, and I wouldn't killed another, unless I was paid to do it.

I would recommend getting those "fancy" big game hunts done before you hit 50, if you can swing it.  Had I not done the two that I did when I was younger,  I wouldn't appreciate NY's Adirondacks as much as I do.  For that reason alone, I dont regret those trips.  In my opinion, the Adirondacks are way more scenic than the Rockies or Northern Canada, and whitetail is just as good tasting as elk (maybe not quite as good as moose), but way better than mule deer.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I took all of my first small game with an old single shot 20ga break-over that my dad had. He sold or traded it many years ago, and I don't even remember what it was. I do remember when I first took it squirrel hunting, I would have trouble letting the hammer down, and it slipped a few times, scaring the living daylights out of me. However, it instilled in me to always keep it pointed in a safe direction. 

My first deer was a nice 9 pointer that I took with my Remington 1100 (smoothbore slug barrel). That gun was stolen several years ago. Honestly, it was straight black and ugly (in my opinion) but it was a great shotgun. 

My first bow deer was with an old PSE. 32" draw, flinging big old aluminum arrows, I might as well have been throwing telephone poles through the woods. It was loud, pretty slow, and I was only accurate out to about 25 yds, with it, but man with that thing hit a deer, it put the wallop on them. 

My first and only handgun deer was with my old S&W 29 in 44 mag. It had the 7 3/4 in barrel, and when I bought it had a red dot scope. I took a doe that first year with it, and after season, I decided that open sights looked way better on it, and took the scope off. From that point on I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it, and other than making a lot of noise in the woods, I never killed another with it. 

I'm hoping that I get my first rifle deer and maybe even muzzleloader deer this season. 

Edited by Splitear

Most small game was with a marlin model 60 .22 or a Winchester model 37 20 gauge.

First grouse was shot out a tree with a Ruger single 6 .22mag (I know... that wasn't exactly sporting or legal)

First coyote was with a 8mm Mauser

First Turkey was with a Winchester 1400 12 gauge 

First deer was a button buck with a Hawken .50 cal MZ.

First rifle buck was a six point basket with a model 94 30-30 (The only gun I've ever sold)

First bow deer was a 7 point atypical with Hoyt Striker.

Edited by johnplav

9 hours ago, johnplav said:

Most small game was with a marlin model 60 .22 or a Winchester model 37 20 gauge.

First grouse was shot out a tree with a Ruger single 6 .22mag (I know... that wasn't exactly sporting or legal)

First coyote was with a 8mm Mauser

First Turkey was with a Winchester 1400 12 gauge 

First deer was a button buck with a Hawken .50 cal MZ.

First rifle buck was a six point basket with a model 94 30-30 (The only gun I've ever sold)

First bow deer was a 7 point atypical with Hoyt Striker.

As far as I know there is nothing illegal or immoral about shooting a grouse from a tree with a handgun, as long as season  was open and it was within legal shooting hours...

I think I remember them all:

Winchester model 69A .22      first squirrel, rabbit, woodchuck, opposum, ratsI

Western Field model 550 20 ga. with C-Lect choke (Mossburg 500)  ruffled grouse  (never should have sold this gun)!

Ithaca Deerslayer model 37 slug barrel  deer. coyote, raccoon, red fox

Ithaca 37  modified barrel   pheasant, crow, Canada goose, turkey

Hi Standard ,22 semi auto pistol     mongoose

Winchester    30-06 bolt action rifle  hog   (borrowed from friend)

Remington 870  20ga. morning dove, rattlesnake

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

As far as I know there is nothing illegal or immoral about shooting a grouse from a tree with a handgun, as long as season  was open and it was within legal shooting hours...

Legal hours and in season… and a hell of a shot for a kid. 

• Like 1

Good post OP!

Man I gotta get a glass of whiskey and think!! I killed hundreds of swallows off my grandparents antenna on the house with a real old Crossman BB Gun. Almost all my firsts were with my grandads guns. I have them now. Both 22's a reg and a magnum. I took my first chuck, rabbit, grouse, squirrel with one of those. First deer was with a Mossberg 5 or 600 12 gauge my Mom bought me for my birthday. First bow deer with an old Bear Whitetail 2. First Hog with a borrowed bolt 308. First gator with a treble hook and a 9mm. I think my first yote was with my Ithaca Deerslayer 20 gauge. I have never shot any waterfowl or upland birds except grouse.