I Did It Now

DirtTime

Congrats on the muzzle loader it's a lot of fun  to shoot and a great time to be in the woods hunting.

If you shoot me an address I'll send  you a few practice sabots and bullets that "buckmaster7600" turned me on too. There not perfect but cheap and good for trigger time.I also have a few speedloaders I don't used anymore your more then welcome too those as well.

• Thanks 1

I love my CVA muzzleloader. Great time of year to be in the woods. Most hunters are home hanging Christmas lights by that time of year. Very often you'll be hunting in beautiful snow covered ground. I'll even trek over to nearby state land to hunt and have thousands of acres all to myself. Deer are going back into normal cycles that time of yr. I can print a 2.5 in group all day at 100 meters. Get yourself some Blackburn 209 powder and ditch those dirty white pills that crust up your barrel. The Blackhorn burns as clean as smokeless. Dress warm and Enjoy!

On 8/27/2021 at 12:06 PM, DirtTime said:

There are just some things I'm not comfortable having shipped. A firearm of any sort is at the very top of that list. I've had two knives not show up in the last year or so, one was taken right from the mailbox and the other off the porch. So a gun has me nervous.

DT , I dont know what company the gun is being shipped with , but you can have the gun shipped to one of their Access Points near where you live. The package does not have to be delivered to your house . Both UPS and Fedex has access points all over the place. Convenient stores , pharmacies , Walmart has a Fedex pickup and shipping service.  I use those access points all the time . Especially at Christmas time , but also for when Im going to be away , or for anything thats important that needs to be a accounted for. When my packages get delivered to the access point , I just go there , show my ID , sign for it and pick it up. You could actually have it sent to your local friendly gun shop if you wanted to.

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rachunter said:

Congrats on the muzzle loader it's a lot of fun  to shoot and a great time to be in the woods hunting.

If you shoot me an address I'll send  you a few practice sabots and bullets that "buckmaster7600" turned me on too. There not perfect but cheap and good for trigger time.I also have a few speedloaders I don't used anymore your more then welcome too those as well.

If your not using the items that would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, sbuff said:

I been keeping an eye out on muzzleloader.com. Appreciate those other two links as well.

1 hour ago, SportsmanNH said:

DT , I dont know what company the gun is being shipped with , but you can have the gun shipped to one of their Access Points near where you live. The package does not have to be delivered to your house . Both UPS and Fedex has access points all over the place. Convenient stores , pharmacies , Walmart has a Fedex pickup and shipping service.  I use those access points all the time . Especially at Christmas time , but also for when Im going to be away , or for anything thats important that needs to be a accounted for. When my packages get delivered to the access point , I just go there , show my ID , sign for it and pick it up. You could actually have it sent to your local friendly gun shop if you wanted to.

I'm going to make sure I'm home the day of delivery. I might just park a lawn chair up by the mailbox.

• Like 2

OK, so I was looking at the regulations for tags, glad I did. The area's I hunt in the NZ are antlered only deer WMU's, so the ML anterless only tag is useless in those areas.

I'll have to use the Bow/ML deer of either sax tag if I'm reading the regs correctly right?

Edited by DirtTime
antlered not antlerless

4 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

OK, so I was looking at the regulations for tags, glad I did. The area's I hunt in the NZ are anterless deer WMU's, so the ML anterless only tag is useless in those areas.

I'll have to use the Bow/ML deer of either sax tag if I'm reading the regs correctly right?

The Bow/ML antlerless is statewide isn’t it?

1 minute ago, phade said:

The Bow/ML antlerless is statewide isn’t it?

I know my unit 6a has been antlered only during early muzzleloader season for years. 

So yes DT, you would have to use the either sex tag on a buck in a unit like 6a during early mzl.

Late muzzleloader is different..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

OK, so I was looking at the regulations for tags, glad I did. The area's I hunt in the NZ are antlered only deer WMU's, so the ML anterless only tag is useless in those areas.

The area where I hunt up there is right on the border of wmu 6C (antletless or antlered) and 6F (antlered only).  Since I see about 5 antletless deer per each antlered one up there, I will hunt the either or side of the main highway, until my antletless tag is punched.

Only then, will I cross the road, where the odds of a bear might be a little better.

4 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

The area where I hunt up there is right on the border of wmu 6C (antletless or antlered) and 6F (antlered only).  Since I see about 5 antletless deer per each antlered one up there, I will hunt the either or side of the main highway, until my antletless tag is punched.

Only then, will I cross the road, where the odds of a bear might be a little better.

Ha.ha. off topic... but dang only 5 does/buck. My area has at least 20 before you see a 3" spike..lol

I'm just thinking I don't really need to get the antlerless only tag if the one I already have either/or is good to go. The week I'm up in Indian Lake for the early ML season I have to use my Bow/ML tag for a buck.

I have a DMP for down here by home, and the regular season will be in full swing in the NZ by the time we get back from Indian Lake, it actually opens the day before we'll be heading home. May as well save the $15.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Ha.ha. off topic... but dang only 5 does/buck. My area has at least 20 before you see a 3" spike..lol

I am averaging the last 4 or 5 years.  The ratio seems to be improving and last year I saw just 3 antlerless per antlered.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 8:30 PM, DirtTime said:

Not according to this if I'm reading it right.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

On 8/30/2021 at 8:28 PM, ncountry said:

I know my unit 6a has been antlered only during early muzzleloader season for years. 

So yes DT, you would have to use the either sex tag on a buck in a unit like 6a during early mzl.

Late muzzleloader is different..

1. Antlerless-only deer season in mid-September (9/11 - 9/19/2021) using firearms in WMUs 3M, 3R, 8A, 8F, 8G, 8N, and 9F, and using bowhunting equipment in WMUs 1C, 4J, and 8C. DMPs and DMAP tags only.

2. Daily hunting hours for deer and bear extended to 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset.

3. Hunters must wear a fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink hat or vest when hunting deer or bear with a firearm.

4. Antlerless harvest allowed again during the early muzzleloader season in Northern Zone WMUs 6A, 6F, 6J.

5. Bear season in the Adirondacks is simplified by extending the regular season to cover the full hunting period.

6. 12- and 13-year old hunters may hunt deer with a firearm or crossbow in counties that passed a local law to participate in the opportunity. See Junior Big Game Hunting for a map of participating counties.

7. Holiday Deer Hunt is an extension of the late bow and muzzleloader season from December 26 - January 1 in the Southern Zone.

An update on the early season for those units.:wink:

Edited by phade
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, phade said:

1. Antlerless-only deer season in mid-September (9/11 - 9/19/2021) using firearms in WMUs 3M, 3R, 8A, 8F, 8G, 8N, and 9F, and using bowhunting equipment in WMUs 1C, 4J, and 8C. DMPs and DMAP tags only.

2. Daily hunting hours for deer and bear extended to 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset.

3. Hunters must wear a fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink hat or vest when hunting deer or bear with a firearm.

4. Antlerless harvest allowed again during the early muzzleloader season in Northern Zone WMUs 6A, 6F, 6J.

5. Bear season in the Adirondacks is simplified by extending the regular season to cover the full hunting period.

6. 12- and 13-year old hunters may hunt deer with a firearm or crossbow in counties that passed a local law to participate in the opportunity. See Junior Big Game Hunting for a map of participating counties.

7. Holiday Deer Hunt is an extension of the late bow and muzzleloader season from December 26 - January 1 in the Southern Zone.

Thanks for the update.

I think I'll still just use my Bow/ML tag for either for the early ML season up north. If I need to buy the other Bow/ML tag it's not far to drive up to the town hall.

I picked up a tackle box to keep the powder, primers, and some cleaning stuff in. I looked at some travel boxes designed for this, and then stopped over thinking it and just went with the tackle box. I also put my spare shotgun cleaning rod in it. My wife uses those little pads for removing makeup, I figure those are lint free and will work just fine as cleaning pads to stash in there. Threw some pipe cleaners in there to use to get the powder pellets from their container into the quick loaders or the actual rifle.

Finally got the tracking number so I can create a mission to be home and sitting by the window all day.

I'm wondering about some things now. Storage may be an issue, no room in the safe, but I keep reading it can be stored in a soft case as long as I clean it properly and check it every couple weeks. Then there's the big one- the reason I have always ended up shying away from a ML, taking it in and out of the house and the temperature changes. This is more of a concern for the cabin trip then at home as I'll be hunting every morning then we'll be hiking the afternoons up there and I'm not leaving it in the truck while we're hiking. I reckon it should be fine if I unload it after each hunt.

2 hours ago, phade said:

Woo .hoo! . Thanks . I had not seen that they changed it  this year in my unit..

Rifle got here a little while ago. Took everything out and checked things over, breech plug, barrel, scope, and the supplies that came with it. Put the front rifle sight on and mounted the scope.

Thank you to @rachunter, @silent death, and @sbuff for helping me out with some primers, extra bullets and a few spare speed loaders. It was greatly appreciated.

I'll be getting it sighted in in a couple weeks and looking forward to it.

thecvawolf.jpg.372a15ef544b9b0a943ce6ca382bca40.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

Lastly make a witness mark on your ram rod to be sure the bullet is seated on the powder  properly everytime.  .

Enjoy it looks great .

The plan is to make a loaded and unloaded mark on the ramrod. I'm hitting Lowes at some point today to pick up a white marker so it shows up on the black.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats easy fix shim under scope on ring closest to you reye , a small piece of aluminum flashing will be enough simply loosen top clamp on scope rings slide under scope at close ring and retighten. Can use more than one if needed. 

I cut it in a thin strip so its covered by scope and ring and you never see it.. beer can aluminum works well but is thinner than flashing so you may need to double or triple up the shims. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1