I Did It Now

DirtTime

11 hours ago, G-Man said:

Thats easy fix shim under scope on ring closest to you reye , a small piece of aluminum flashing will be enough simply loosen top clamp on scope rings slide under scope at close ring and retighten. Can use more than one if needed. 

I cut it in a thin strip so its covered by scope and ring and you never see it.. beer can aluminum works well but is thinner than flashing so you may need to double or triple up the shims. 

Thank you for the tip. I thought about just shimming the rear scope ring. I might give it a shot and see if that works.

• Like 1

Shim will work or try to re set scope to see if that will allow more adjustment. I like the mirror trick. 

Look at the crosshairs. If the scope is optically centered, you will just see the reticle. If it is not, you will see a shadow of the reticle in the reflection.

To reset to factory zero, you need to line up the shadow of the reticle with the reticle itself. You can do this by adjusting the elevation (top) and windage (side) turrets. There is no particular way to complete this step. It is more trial by fire. Keep adjusting the turrets until the shadow and reticle are lined up.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @sbuff. I think I'll go ahead and try the shim and see what happens. I'm dead center but low. I don't ever remember having a scope maxed like this before. 2-3" low would be fine for a lot of people, but using a scope I would prefer to be center bullseye or maybe an inch high at 75.

I'd have to say this was one of the longest sight in sessions I have done. 4 shots clean and cool, 4 shots clean and cool. I just took my time until the sun really warmed everything up and the barrel wasn't cooling down at all. I would have tried something in the field if the temps hadn't went up. It was fun I can say that.

I noticed the rifle would not cock if the breach plug was even a tiny bit not all the way in. After the first cleaning the hammer would not cock, I gave it a little thought and figured it must have been the plug. I took it out and then put it back in and it was fine. The scope made it a bit odd to seat it right, pretty small area to work in with the scope and the small area with the action open.

I should have bought one of these years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Wolf is sighted and ready to go. 4 shot group inside three inches shooting from a table and a blanket as a rest.

Again, thank you to @sbuff, @rachunter, and @silent death for helping me out with a few items I was having an issue locating. The generosity has been payed forward- sent a buddy some care items while he's recovering from muscle repairs in his arm. Also sent another buddy a little donation to help him out with some medical bills his mom is having a hard time covering.

• Like 7

I have a question and didn't feel making a whole other thread was necessary. I have been reading up on whether to remove the powder pellets and bullet or not when I'm not actually hunting. Of Course I'll be removing the primer!

It's about a 50/50 split as to if I should or not. I won't be leaving it in my truck here at home, so it will be brought into the house after each hunt, but not used daily so I'll be unloading it entirely.

The week I'll be up in the ADK's I won't be able to leave it in the car either because we'll be doing some hiking and exploring as we always do in the afternoons, so the gun will be going from warm to cold back to warm each day.

Should I just remove the pellets and bullet every day when I get back from a hunt for that trip?

I usually will leave the load in if weather is fair, but pull it if it will be in there more than a week OR if it is cold enough outside to get condensation or wet/damp/rainy. The wet weather shouldnt be much of a factore for hunting one or two days (I put electrical tape over the muzzle, and a piece of duct tape over the breech when outside). When you get back to the truck/cabin, paper towel it dry best you can with particular attention to the breech, but certainly err on the side of caution. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sbuff said:

I just remove the primer, leave powder and bullet in. 

6 hours ago, Daveboone said:

I usually will leave the load in if weather is fair, but pull it if it will be in there more than a week OR if it is cold enough outside to get condensation or wet/damp/rainy. The wet weather shouldnt be much of a factore for hunting one or two days (I put electrical tape over the muzzle, and a piece of duct tape over the breech when outside). When you get back to the truck/cabin, paper towel it dry best you can with particular attention to the breech, but certainly err on the side of caution. 

Thank you both for the insight.

13 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Right or wrong. I load mine with powder and bullet at start of season and unload when I shoot a deer or after my last hunt..

Knock on wood..... I've never taken any extra steps and have never had a missfire...Man.. I feel jinxed just typing that. ;)

I read the pellets won't break down and get mucky and mushy like actual powder can. I figured I'd ask here and see what the experienced guys had to say. I picked up some 'items' to put over the muzzle if it's going to be a little damp out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I read the pellets won't break down and get mucky and mushy like actual powder can. I figured I'd ask here and see what the experienced guys had to say. I picked up some 'items' to put over the muzzle if it's going to be a little damp out.

That is what I use..  The 50gr pellets.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ncountry said:

That is what I use..  The 50gr pellets.

I went with the pellets to cut my teeth with. I like how easy they are to deal with so I probably won't go actual powder now. Pipe cleaner to grab them and drop them in the quick loaders with a bullet and go.

• Like 1

I found 2 pellets  and tc Shockwave to be extremely accurate. Not really fond of their performance.  They just blast through . I have started to aim at the shoulder to avoid some of the poor blood trails. A little loss of meat but a guaranteed deer in short order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

Right or wrong. I load mine with powder and bullet at start of season and unload when I shoot a deer or after my last hunt..

Knock on wood..... I've never taken any extra steps and have never had a missfire...Man.. I feel jinxed just typing that. ;)

This is what I do too. Never had any problems. Using both powder and pellets. Unless it's EXTREEMLY cold or wet, you should be good. But as always, do what YOU think best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a solid 3 Mississippi hangfire last year, been a while since that happened. I did my best to stay composed but that doe heard the hammer drop and jumped forward. That shot went a foot behind her. She proceeded to hang around just behind some branches where I couldn't get another shot.

I was fuming mad at myself. I am pretty sure the powder got wet/moisture in it - we were snow packed for a few weeks at that time. I felt better after a while since it was a clean miss. Mine was with BH209 and I fault myself on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

I found 2 pellets  and tc Shockwave to be extremely accurate. Not really fond of their performance.  They just blast through . I have started to aim at the shoulder to avoid some of the poor blood trails. A little loss of meat but a guaranteed deer in short order.

I sighted in with some cast lead bullets. The charge, 2 50gr pellets. Then I shot a threw up a new target and shot 2 Powerbelt Aero Tip Hollow points and two Hornady XTP's. I really thought there would be a difference due to bullet weight and some of it being 45cal and PB's are 50cal. Not at 75 yards there wasn't.

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

And I cover the muzzle with a black balloon should it be raining out ...

I may have to check the local Dollar stores for some black balloons. I bought non lubed jimmy hats for the muzzle. :blink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I I may have to check the local Dollar stores for some black balloons. I bought non lubed jimmy hats for the muzzle. :blink:

Try these finger protectors . They work great and stretch right over the end of the barrel . CVS pharmacies have their own generic brand if you dont want to order them from Amazon . But I think these are less money. I keep a few in my pack just in case one gets caught on a branch and comes off. They do fit nice and tight over the end of the barrel . Once you stretch it over the barrel you can take a magic marker and sketch a smiley face on it or a bulls eye . LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Tifanso-Approx-210-Disposable-Fingertips-Protector/dp/B0827NC43F/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Rubber%2BFinger%2BProtectors&qid=1633727880&sr=8-6&th=1

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Thanks 1