Potential new world record from Kentucky.

mowin

5 minutes ago, mowin said:

I didn't say anything about getting your name in the book... 

Can you just admit that you would be more than happy to take a big whitetail? 

Oh, I've killed a few nice sized bucks.  Why did I kill them?  Because they happened to walk in front of me before anything else did.  I surely didn't go out hunting specifically for one that size.  Do they stand out above all the smaller ones or antlerless deer I've killed?  Absolutely not.  In fact some of my most memorable hunts involved deer that most antler crazed hunters would look down at.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mowin said:

I didn't say anything about getting your name in the book... 

Can you just admit that you would be more than happy to take a big whitetail? 

Or at the very least admit that he is always in the hope that the biggest will walk in front of him before the smallest. I honestly can’t imagine going hunting anymore without a goal. I still love the hunt and still get the trill but need a goal. I have built my life around these animals and have made sure I did what it took to secure great hunting grounds so I will never be without. Yet I still travel hours across the state to do so elsewhere. Goals for this year are below. Will I take bigger if it presents itself?  You betcha. But you won’t see smaller takin for meat purposes. Have plenty of tags for that.                                                                   Hopefully this year one of these two will take the ride home on October 1st and not make me chase them thru the Rut. 

F4878A0B-E67A-4D1D-B687-0AFF6ED3BBAB.jpeg

C4F599A7-648E-471D-A60F-AEE48501421D.jpeg

• Like 1

Four stages of an angler:
  1. I want to catch a fish.
  2. I want to catch a lot of fish.
  3. I want to catch a big fish.
  4. I just want to go fishing.
Seems to apply to many here.

Got some stuck on 3 …and that’s fine. Your tags, your choice!

Calling out other hunters or degrading for “settling” for legally harvesting an animal of their choosing is the part that I never understand. Others understanding MY motivation for me being in the woods on every occasion with great certainty, is pompous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly. It’s called growth. So grow and challenge themselves and others spend the least amount of time and the fastest way to get the job done. To each their own         

I think you missed the point. Lots of people stop or even get stuck at 3 and miss the zen of 4. I would say that half of the posts here during deer season seem to be, "Didn't see a deer, but what a great day of hunting."

Or as said by Thoreau: "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Nearly everyone doesn't care about the why, what or how you hunt as long as it's legal. You, however, seem to question everyone else's motive. 

38 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Anyone else curiously wonder what’s on that branch that all these great bucks seem to be interested in?  Deer Farmers Secret!

Is it deer semen?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, left field said:

I think you missed the point. Lots of people stop or even get stuck at 3 and miss the zen of 4. I would say that half of the posts here during deer season seem to be, "Didn't see a deer, but what a great day of hunting."

Or as said by Thoreau: "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Nearly everyone doesn't care about the why, what or how you hunt as long as it's legal. You, however, seem to question everyone else's motive. 

Is it deer semen?

I could give a rats behind what someone kills. Does not take much to hear in the hunting world or even on this site of people saying that they were watching and chasing such and such buck and then make statements that they harvested a smaller one for such and such reason. That’s settling for less than what one started out to accomplish. Some of us will not be satisfied with less than what they set out to accomplish. But very few of us left in this world without a doubt. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

Oh, I've killed a few nice sized bucks.  Why did I kill them?  Because they happened to walk in front of me before anything else did.  I surely didn't go out hunting specifically for one that size.  Do they stand out above all the smaller ones or antlerless deer I've killed?  Absolutely not.  In fact some of my most memorable hunts involved deer that most antler crazed hunters would look down at.

I'm with you there on some of my most memorable hunts were nothing special to most hunters, but to me they were trophies.  

I've never went out with the intent to kill a specific buck. But I can guarantee you that if two bucks came walking in at the same time and one was noticably larger, both of us would shoot the same deer. The larger one..

• Like 2

I think it's best just to say we all want different things out of hunting. We are all at different stages throughout life. I grew up hunting less than prime hunting public land and I was tickled to shoot a 6 PT with a rifle and so was my father. Now I have some real good ground to hunt and my standards rose. It's not that I didn't always want access to mature bucks, I just didn't always have it. Now that I do, that's what I like to target. Now that being said, I killed a 135" buck two years ago with my bow, and on opening weekend I shot a smaller 6 PT with my rifle on the same ground. Why? Because I was happy with it. I wanted one more meat deer and was hoping for a doe but they eat the same. I'm all for hunting mature deer and I prefer it, but not at the expense of my hunting traditions and roots. I'm not too proud. I let a lot of deer walk every year, and it feels right, I'll trip the trigger. I love big bucks, like most but it's not the end all be all. I also love fishing, I've upped my standards and expectations there too, but that's not to say I don't love catching bluegills under floats in the spring. When we deem everyone else be on our level we do everyone a disservice. Here's a buck on our lease I'd love to meet up with this fall...IMG950890(1).jpg

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I dont know about any of you but I am always happy with what I get . Hunting  public you never know what you will see or get . So yeah I may jump the gun and get a 4 pointer or spike  not knowing if I will ever see another for the rest of the hunt is always my worry .  I want meat in my freezer . I want to know that I will have something in my freezer . Horns  are never a choice for me .  I have passed on small does  but if it has a big body . I will take it .

• Like 4

Thanks to a fine young button buck, that I killed during the early antlerless season, and a little help from my friends, my venison supply is half way decent right now.  

For that reason, I plan on being a little more selective than usual with my buck tags during the first half of the southern zone crossbow and gun seasons this year.  It will take a minimum of 4 points on a side ,or 3.5 yr old to trip my trigger this year.  Normally it is 3 points on a side or 2.5 year.

These two good ones, that my wife photographed on the back side of our block when she was coming home from the grocery store a few weeks ago, are definitely on my hit list.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:30 PM, wolc123 said:

20210809_175319.jpg

Edited by wolc123