Building Deer Stand

hueyjazz

So, after 40 some years of hunting ladder stands, I've decided to build a nice, enclosed stand.  I will start this week dropping some trees to tuck it inside of my stand of tall pines where I've had regular success on a major deer trail.  I've decided 6' x 6' to be optimal size for me.  Small enough to hunt all windows solo but big enough to train a grandkid.   I won't put it up any higher than 12'.  I'm not afraid of heights but the longer I hunt the lower my stands get for shot angle.  It will have stairs rather than a ladder.  My one concern is stairs will need to run parallel to shack. I may need to make small deck to attach stairs and enter shack.  I worry about ice and snow collecting and freezing door shut.  Shack will have windows.  Not sure about insulation yet.  I don't want a mouse hotel.  I've toured my countryside looking at other's stands for ideas.  Not sure what I'm doing for roof yet.  Saltbox would be easiest.   I did get elevator brackets to attach to 4 x 4's.  Any suggestions from your experiences on what you would want in your stands?   What worked, what didn't.

• Like 1

Redneck blind. I know its a cost but you have to look deep at the value.

We have multiple rednecks and will get another one for next season. You have absolutely zero worries about mice, woodpeckers, bees or anything really. Spend sometime building a raised base and be done with it. No fuss with window size and trying to insulate. Gl

• Like 1

If you can locate an old, construction-style truck cap, they make the best blind toppers.  The side doors fold out, making fine sun and rain shades, when you are inside.  

The best feature, is an open topped upper deck blind, built up on the ladder rack.  The view is completely unobstructed from up there.  

This one is my favorite, and I have taken quite a few deer from each level, including a nice 3.5 year old buck from up top with my crossbow, a few years ago, and a good 2.5 buck a year or two before that.

So far, just does and a button buck from the lower enclosure, but it sure is nice on the fowl weather days. The best feature 21F591D4-B9B7-44B0-9282-365493A8CDED.thumb.jpeg.b8e2b5898deda8309666aaab24c3ef29.jpegof the two stories is, as soon as the weather breaks, you can go upstairs.

I can’t use the upstairs in that one right now, because the big wind storm a few weeks ago, snapped the top on that dying ash tree on the left.  It fell onto the white oak on the right, and is completely blocking my south view.  

That’s part of the reason why I am up in one just like it over at my parents place right now.  It’s almost time for me to pull the plug on the morning hunt and take care of another downed ash tree over here:

7636FD77-869A-4E21-BC52-1879CB831B23.thumb.jpeg.59de2b2403d1fd28be8a52534194011d.jpeg

I have only killed one deer from this one (another 3.5 year old buck) but it was likely my largest, with a 43” chest girth.

Edited by wolc123

My father-in-law has hunted out of an elevated, enclosed blind for 20+ years and has never had a mouse problem.  He build a smaller, similar blind and tucked it into some cedars on the ground.  It's such a mouse motel that he won't even hunt out of it.  Says it needs to be burned.  Take it for what it's worth.  I'd be interested to hear what others have experienced with elevated blinds.

My experiences: I have a couple, and numerous covered ground blinds. On the best one I used two  sections of scaffolding, and then pipe above that. I used pressure treated landscape posts as a floor. framed the  cabin with pressure treated 2x4'. Used scavenged metal roofing attached  with roofing screws. Windows are plexiglass, and hinged at the top. They swing open and a attached prop holds them in place. I  have them so that they are slightly tilted down to 1) eliminate glare/reflection and 2)so the rain/snow slides off. I originally had a ladder but one of my buddies got so he could not climb. So I built pressure treated steps, keeping a shallow angle. This year I  put a second handrail on it. I put in a swing out urinal (hey I'm a old guy) that runs via hose to a buried 5 gallon bucket cess-pool. When I put on the corrugated metal roof, I made it with the  center removable for maintenance.  I originally just put up the platform, with a popup blind on it and used it for 3 years to make sure it was where I wanted it, because when it was built out, there is no moving it. Oh, and I used guy wires to stabilize it because it just sits on the  p.t. beams on the ground. I put in a moveable shooting rest that consists of a 2x2 covered with  pipe insulation. Inside dimensions are 5' by 8'. I covered the floor with foam and painted the inside flat black. I have black window curtains to reduce  the amount of light in the  cabin,

I've been told that mice can't cross sheet metal.  Part of plan is to wrap each leg and part of stair riser with sheet metal.  I've saved building materials for years plus I have Amish sawmills all around me.  I can even bring my own trees to them to mill.   I do want to blend into surroundings but I have to admit.  I've had those truck caps, I can see how that would work.

Urinal,  Love that idea.  Tired of piss jugs.  No stink comes up tube?

Edited by hueyjazz

1 hour ago, hueyjazz said:

So, after 40 some years of hunting ladder stands, I've decided to build a nice, enclosed stand.  I will start this week dropping some trees to tuck it inside of my stand of tall pines where I've had regular success on a major deer trail.  I've decided 6' x 6' to be optimal size for me.  Small enough to hunt all windows solo but big enough to train a grandkid.   I won't put it up any higher than 12'.  I'm not afraid of heights but the longer I hunt the lower my stands get for shot angle.  It will have stairs rather than a ladder.  My one concern is stairs will need to run parallel to shack. I may need to make small deck to attach stairs and enter shack.  I worry about ice and snow collecting and freezing door shut.  Shack will have windows.  Not sure about insulation yet.  I don't want a mouse hotel.  I've toured my countryside looking at other's stands for ideas.  Not sure what I'm doing for roof yet.  Saltbox would be easiest.   I did get elevator brackets to attach to 4 x 4's.  Any suggestions from your experiences on what you would want in your stands?   What worked, what didn't.

Look through this thread there is a lot of posts regarding building an elevated box blind.

• Like 1

ł second the urinal, we have one in our tower. 

Used a oversized funnel leading in to a 5 gallon jug with a gallon of rv antifreeze in it. Will swap that out for an upside down 5 gallon jug which leads down clear plastic tubing in to small french drain. 

Didn't have a chance to "plumb" it this year, ł have been working non-stop since covid began. 

Screenshot_20220101-112534_Gallery.jpg

Edited by XGX7PM
Typo(s) & added pic

16 minutes ago, hueyjazz said:

I've been told that mice can't cross sheet metal.  Part of plan is to wrap each leg and part of stair riser with sheet metal.  I've saved building materials for years plus I have Amish sawmills all around me.  I can even bring my own trees to them to mill.   I do want to blend into surroundings but I have to admit.  I've had those truck caps, I can see how that would work.

Urinal,  Love that idea.  Tired of piss jugs.  No stink comes 

Edited by boo711

My suggestion would be to build the platform 8x8. Build the enclosure 8x6 and that leaves you about a foot and a half for a deck to which the stairs attach. Just remember to make that deck portion with PT lumber and don’t push them tight together. 
a little buddy heater with a thermoelectric fan heats mine very nicely.