What do you use to clean Pyrodex fouling?

RangerClay

I shoot Pyrodex RS loose powder. For those of you who also shoot Pyrodex, what do you use to clean your guns? I used to use Knight EZ Clean and that stuff was great. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore so now I'm looking for something new.

• 3 months later...

the BEST way to clean pyrodex is to use American Pioneer powder. lol i have had no problem cleaning my flintlock barrel buy submerging the barrel in soapy water. it works the best and is quicker than other methods, imo after cleaning i rinse with really hot water. and use dry clean patches to dry the barrel. and since the barrel is hot, it evaporates any moisture that is left. allow to cool some and oil it good. been doing this for 25 years. no problems. :drinks:

I had an unfortunate experience with a failure to ignite problem once. I used way too much oil and placed rifle back in gun safe breach down. I presume that little oriface clogged with oil. from then on after a wash, compressor the oriface and use rem-oil, I Place the rifle in the gun safe muzzle down to prevent an accumulation in the breach.

I was able to reload a 209 primer and discharge the rifle in the direction of a deer. I was so miffed by the misfire I missed.

I've always used Hoppes no,9 same stuff I use on all of my guns, Seems to work well. I use to use dish soap and warm water when I shot black powder & it worked great. Just follow up with a thin coat of oil. What ever you use just clean it. A friend of mine ruined a gun by never cleaning it.

Don't like the idea of putting water in my barrel. Some other good cleaning methods, that I'll have to try. After shooting a few triple 7 pellets, stuff is like tar on the inside. Rusty Duck- Black Off seems to do a good cleaning job. Suppose that's soapy water. lol. Working over to BH 209 powder soon.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

boiling water ins the ultimate for older powders. How do you think the pioneers and mountain men did it before all the fangled cleaners? But if you plan to use borebutter and the like, be dire you dry the barrel completely. Those type lubes will trap water against the barrel if there is any in there and cause rust for sure. At the range, I use cheap windex as mentioned. I only clean with boiling water and patches when I return home. Then a couple patches with rem oil inside. I have used this method for over 30 years with no problems.

• Like 1

I have always used Lehigh valley... for cleaning and lubing patches... allowed me to load shot after shot easily without cleaning in between... I use a similar mixture now of Murphy's oil soap and denatured alcohol which keeps my barrel spotless... I have been doing it for about 15 years with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...