When do you know you have coyote problem?

GR HUNTER

Send those yotes to me. There are way too many rabbits and woodchucks. Protecting my nuts has become a serious concern. I have some grafted hickories loaded with nuts. As soon as September rolls around there will be more squirrels than I can possibly deal with. Then there are the deer........................

You need to learn proper English. Pretty ironic considering your signature post..

Cheap shot. All hunters have the right to speak the local dialect, especially if you want to connect with everyone. I too am bilingual.

• Like 1

Amazing to seem them together like that, I hear some at night and sounds like a lot. I do have them cutting through my yard even during the day.

Send those yotes to me. There are way too many rabbits and woodchucks. Protecting my nuts has become a serious concern. I have some grafted hickories loaded with nuts. As soon as September rolls around there will be more squirrels than I can possibly deal with. Then there are the deer........................

We had a lot of rabbits and wood chucks also. Think the wood chucks are gone from yard, haven't seen one in a week now. I don't see the rabbits like I was. The fox are bad this year. I heard a rabbit screaming at 4 the other morning. They are loud!!!

This property is up in Columbia County. They look young but all the pictures I've seen of pups, they usually look much smaller this time of year. I'm beginning to buy into that theory though that we should all practice some sort or predator control, even if we don't normally hunt predators.  

Edited by GR HUNTER

This property is up in Columbia County. They look young but all the pictures I've seen of pups, they usually look much smaller this time of year. I'm beginning to buy into that theory though that we should all practice some sort or predator control, even we don't normally hunt predators.  

Keep them like that and you wont have to worry about wasting your time deer or turkey hunting. Kill them all asap. Trap,poison,shoot whatever it takes and whenever the chance comes along.

• Like 2

There should be anytime of year season on them.

I agree. This is the time of year when the fawns are still pretty vulnerable. So we should be able to kill them all year.

I agree,looks like mom and her pups.  I'd be planning their demise.  

Yup. Looks like at least 5 reasons to get some target practice in.

• Like 2

I call this meeting of the He-man Coyote Haters Club to order!

Read the science. Shooting them changes nothing. They respond by reproducing faster.

To answer the original question - You have a coyote problem when they are killing pets and livestock. You guys advocating a year-round season just object to the competition. It's okay for your buddies to kill the game but not a canid.

Edited by Curmudgeon

When did I know I had a coyote problem?

When the dog started spending more time barking at the windows running from one end of the house to the other at night rather than sleeping.

Hitting the outside lights at 3am constantly reveals the pack.

Gonna be a BIG trapping/hunting season this fall.

• Like 4

I call this meeting of the He-man Coyote Haters Club to order!

Read the science. Shooting them changes nothing. They respond by reproducing faster.

To answer the original question - You have a coyote problem when they are killing pets and livestock. You guys advocating a year-round season just object to the competition. It's okay for your buddies to kill the game but not a canid.

First I would like to ask the staff to create a group called "Coyote Haters Club" and add anyone who wants to be in that group. Count me in!

Second, they are a nuisance! They kill everything we try to hunt! So yes I am in objection to to those damn hell dogs killing deer, rabbits, squirrels, turkey and every other game animal I pay to hunt for! So yes I say let us have an all year season with no bag limits and this might seem harsh, but kill the pups too. If you want to get rid of cockroaches you don't just kill the one you saw in the sink. You have to annihilate the nests! Or the infestation will grow. Then again, maybe you are pro roach to.

• Like 3

Rob -

That is so 19th century. So simple. I've read a number of your posts. This is extreme - even for you. They aren't hell dogs, they are God's dogs. Have you ever taken the time to watch them, or do you just shoot first and not ask questions later?

The deer are eating grouse and turkey eggs. The squirrels are famous nest predators. Should we annihilate them too to save those birds? The coyotes are killing mesopredators, esp. foxes, which eat more rabbits, game birds and squirrels than the coyotes do. You get a net increase in ground nesting birds from more coyotes. This still ignore the obvious. It is impossible in the real world to reduce coyote population. So why do this?

You have a bunch of angry guys killing coyotes with no net gain. This is just emotional release. Work a heavy bag. It is healthier.

The photo is from Columbia County. I don't have the 2014 numbers at my fingertips but in 2013, 50% of the harvested deer were antlerless. Anyone who thinks they can get more deer by killing coyotes when DEC is working so hard to reduce numbers is not making any sense. It's a fools errand.

• Like 1

I have two different groups of 3 pups (based on coloration) and 118 trail cam pictures for the 2 mos I've ran cams in 2015. 8g is where I am at. We try to shoot everyone but typically only get/call 2-3 a year. The it season should be open year round and limiting when they can be called and harvested makes no sense. Good luck

• Like 2

Rob -

That is so 19th century. So simple. I've read a number of your posts. This is extreme - even for you. They aren't hell dogs, they are God's dogs. Have you ever taken the time to watch them, or do you just shoot first and not ask questions later?

The deer are eating grouse and turkey eggs. The squirrels are famous nest predators. Should we annihilate them too to save those birds? The coyotes are killing mesopredators, esp. foxes, which eat more rabbits, game birds and squirrels than the coyotes do. You get a net increase in ground nesting birds from more coyotes. This still ignore the obvious. It is impossible in the real world to reduce coyote population. So why do this?

You have a bunch of angry guys killing coyotes with no net gain. This is just emotional release. Work a heavy bag. It is healthier.

The photo is from Columbia County. I don't have the 2014 numbers at my fingertips but in 2013, 50% of the harvested deer were antlerless. Anyone who thinks they can get more deer by killing coyotes when DEC is working so hard to reduce numbers is not making any sense. It's a fools errand.

You just defeated your own purpose!

Deer are not targeting people as a food source. When was the last time a fox or a squirrel attacked a human? Why don't you preach this to the parents of that 2 year old that a coyote came right into the garage, or better yet, talk this to that dude that was attacked while walking to work! And don't try that "Isolated Incident" crap anymore! It works like a busted toilet!

Did I EVER state killing a coyote would help me or anyone kill a deer, rabbit, etc...? No, I did not. I did make a mention that they sure as hell do make it harder for us! Yes, yes I did! Now you will say again, I don't like the competition. NO! No I do not! To be honest, I don't think of them as competition! I think of them as a plague that once it takes over, that's all there is left!

I absolutely refuse to make a comment on "Gods Dogs"!

I have never shot first and ask questions later at anything!

No I have never watched them, not like you mean.

Let me ask you this Curmudgeon? Are you a hunter or do you just want to protect everything that can and will kill what you hunt? 

• Like 2

Coyote haters are the worst kind of wildlife managers. Their decisions are based on ignorance. Their actions are based on emotion.

I'm not talking about genuine problem coyotes. I'm talking about coyotes doing their thing in the wild. You want to discuss threats to people. Let's do real risk assessment and talk about problem domestic dogs. How many of them have killed people, including 2 year olds? What is more of a threat coyotes or fido? Kill all the dogs!!!!!!!!!!! While we are at it, why don't we kill all the bees too. They kill a lot of people.

The Navaho refer to the coyote as "God's dog". I happen to agree with them.

Try watching them, you might find you don't want to shoot them anymore. I watched a pack stalk a relaxed herd of pronghorn once - females and young. It was fascinating. There was a long stalk. As soon as the first pronghorn saw a coyote, the pack totally relaxed and trotted off. I've watched them pounce on mice like a fox. Slip through the woods like a ghost.

Let go of your hate for a bit. Let go of your fear. Develop a sense of wonder. It can be freeing.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 1