Lever or bolt action?

Ewing2007

If you’re only going to hunt NY then any of the lever Cal’s would be fine. In a bolt gun this again is if I was just hunting deer and black bear. I would look at cal’s like the 260, 7-08 and the 308. Remember you’re talking about killing a deer it doesn’t take a whole lot to kill one.

Distance, accuracy and reliability make it hard to beat a both action. The 270 that's you asked about is awesome for anything on hoofs in North America. Ammo is accessible, it beat up your wallet or or your shoulder. The round is inherently very acurate. If it were me, put decent wood across the counter and get yourself something that you are going to enjoy owning (shooting and hunting with). If its strictly a hunter go for a synthetic stock and save yourself the headache of destroying a nice piece of walnut. Last point, the best scope you can afford with high quality bases and rings. If you are about making sure its the right shot, buy yourself a sweet single shot, you can get a TC Encore just about anywhere.

For a new hunter getting his first deer rifle, I always suggest getting a bolt action in .30-06. If this will be the only rifle you ever own, it will be capable of doing it all, in all the hunting fields, on any game but Grizzly, anywhere in North America. Put a good quality scope on it and you have all the rifle you will ever need. You also have lots of ammo choices and it's available anywhere. Many times you will also have the opportunity to stock up on inexpensive ammo for it as well.

Any other rifle action or chambering will do what you need it to do in NY, but may not be as good a choice if you ever get the chance to hunt something other than Whitetail in NY. An accurate bolt action in .30-06 will be a good choice anywhere you may ever get the chance to hunt big game in North America.

BTW, a 300 yard shot is well within the range of a .30-06 if it's accurate and you do your part.

browing blr in a large caliber 308,35 or 45 - 70 would be my choices, be realistic if your hunting woods with a chance at an open field from time to time, most lever (calibers) will be your ticket, giving you good accuracy out to 200 - 250 yards wiith 75- 150 prolly being your max range in a woods anyway. i love seeing guys sight in for 200 yards and miss deer they would hit with a slug gun with punkinballs at 50...lol

yes 45-70 does drop quick but a good handload or lever evolution bullets will give you 200 yards. and honestly i feel safer knowing my bullet is in the ground at 250 yards rather than hitting a school bus , house, person . really how many honestly shoot over 150 yards on a consistant basis, or even have acess to a range that lets you shoot over 200 yards. i have my long range guns for my western outtings. but this is nys and at least in the areas i hunt in 150 yards is a long way to poke through woods/ brush. and the 45-70 doesnt deflect as bad as most high velocity rounds should a twig be hit..

Only said the 45-70 drops at long ranges. Didn't say it was a bad gun. As a matter of fact, I really want to get myself the Marlin Guide Gun in the near future. Been reading a couple of books on ballistics and the 45-70 is awesome round when used within it's range.

I have never hunted big game with a lever action rifle..Shot a few woodchucks with a M94 Win 30-30 many ( MANY !!) years ago..

The only lever action I ever owned was a Marlin m1889 rifle in 38-40, and all I ever shot with that was a few beer cans..

I have always been kind of a bolt action type of guy when it comes to centerfire rifles, although I have nothing against a quality single shot, such as a Ruger #1..

However, my local legion post is raffling off a Marlin 45-70 .. I think I'll buy a few tickets...It would be something different to play with... :bye: ...

For the most accuracy for the dollar I would recommend either a Browning, Howa or Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 or 270 Winchester bolt action rifle. They will all shoot around 1 MOA groups and come with garuantee for accuracy. The Weatherby's come with targets fired at 100 yards showing "out of the box" accuracy. If you think you will be hunting big game larger than deer and caribou go with the 30-06. I also have owned 30-30's built by both winchester and Marlin. I have been impressed by the 336 Marlin's accuracy. Although the groups are not as tight as they aforementioned bolt action rifles but still pretty good. As a cartridge the problem is the energy of the 30-30 drops rather off quickly over 100 or 150 yards. If you are going to do a lot of hunting in the deep woods and in mountain country where you make get the occasional long shot and want more power, flat trajectory all combined with fast handling consider the pump action 7600 Remingtons in 30-06 or 270. Their accuracy "out of the box" isn't as good as bolt actions but they are big medicine in mountain country. If you become a handloader you can develop loads give you groups that will rival bolt action rifles.

Edited by adkbuck

Just another plug for the 45-70... there is a reason state troopers went back to 45 cal. from 9mm in their handguns.... PURE STOPPING POWER!! The 45- 70 at honest hunting ranges is a deer killer like no other. Should a deer run off due to a marganal hit the 45 cal diameter hole is a lot better than a 30 cal for leaving a bloodtrail. Plus you using the same gun that knocked down american bision at the end of the 1800's.. they are a lot bigger than a deer!!

G-man. Any deer I have shot with my .06 has never had a .30 caliber exit hole...lol. Usually the -06 is at least the size of a tennis ball and many times it is larger if I get into a shoulder. I just put more focus on how the particular bullet will react when in there than the size of it. I think proper bullet selection is one of the most overlooked factors

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

optimal would be both, cause when your in a open filed situation your gonna want the bolt action .270, but when you creepin thru the woods still hunting your gonna want that .30 .30 lever

two rifles i always take up with me

A-Bolt Bolt Action in 7mm-08

and a Marlin .35 lever

300 yards is a long shot, in anyones book. Sounds like you would do fine with a lever 30-30 loaded with the Hornady Leverevelution ammo. This ammo extends the range of the 30-30 quite a bit and is very accurate. I'm not sure if it will make the 30-30 a 300yd gun but it will add range to this cal. A friend hunts with this gun/ ammo setup and does well with it. A few years ago, he took a deer at a little over 200 yds. with it and it and worked very well.

If it turns out that you want a round with a little more distance and/or thump you can always trade up.You will never have a problem trading or selling a good lever action 30-30.

• 3 weeks later...

Just another plug for the 45-70... there is a reason state troopers went back to 45 cal. from 9mm in their handguns.... PURE STOPPING POWER!! The 45- 70 at honest hunting ranges is a deer killer like no other. Should a deer run off due to a marganal hit the 45 cal diameter hole is a lot better than a 30 cal for leaving a bloodtrail. Plus you using the same gun that knocked down american bision at the end of the 1800's.. they are a lot bigger than a deer!!

If you aren't cleanly killing deer with .30 caliber rifles then something is really wrong!

I might add that the .45-70 didn't have as much to do with the bison as people think. It only came out in 1873 and the southern herd was already extinct and the northern herd was really on the ropes by then. Cartridges like the .50-70 and .50-90 played a far bigger role.

Edited by moosemike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ewing2007,

Those are all excellent deer cartridges. Seldom will you get a shot over 100yds in the woods. In fact most will be under 50yds. Accuracy isn't really an issue as a 3"/100yd group is all that 's needed. There aren't bench rests in the woods, so practice standing.

Get the gun/caliber combination that appeals to you. Be happy.