Who carries a jackknife ?

Pygmy

I have carried a pocketknife all my life...I use it for something EVERY DAY, or nearly so...I can't imagine gardening, working outside, doing chores around the house or property, or most any outdoor activity without having a blade handy to cut a piece of twine, slice some cardboard, whittle a piece of wood, open a can of snuff, or a couple hundred other little tasks.

My current knife is a Case XX Sod Buster Junior. It has a 2 3/4" single blade. At 3 3/4" overall, it is slightly larger than ideal for carrying in my pants pocket, but not so big as to be cumbersome..

Some of my friends tell me they don't carry one because they LOSE them..Well, I'm no exception there, I've lost my share over the years..When I lose one I just get another one.. A feller just ain't DRESSED properly unless he has a jacknife in his pocket...

Who else feels NAKED unless he/she has a pocketknife..?..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple I carry. Depending on the attire and prospects of the day. If I'm having a normal work day with no heavy use expected or I'm wearing dress clothes, I carry this one......

IMG_1968.jpg

If I'm expecting to do some heavy duty cutting, prying or scrapping, I carry a Chris Reeve Sebenza.

I shouldn't say this but.......................I haven't lost one in years and I always, always have one (or two) on me.

I do enjoy knives.

I carry one all the time one of my years of buying ,el chepo in the tractor tool box,little 2" Schrade folder in dress pants,either my lerterman multi tool or my 2 - 1/2" benchmade depending on what I am doing that day.

In my back pack for hunting I have my 6"Schrade Old Timer for cutting bone if I have to,My 4" Benchmark and 6" dexter filley knife for opening up the cavity and gutting.

I have several one on my key chain....a few single and a couple of multi tools...I carry the multi tools most...and have a pair of bypass pruners I carry as well....

I figured that you would certainly carry a cutting instrument of some description, Growie, due to all the gardening, carpentry and other outside work that you do.

I carry one all the time one of my years of buying ,el chepo in the tractor tool box,little 2" Schrade folder in dress pants,either my lerterman multi tool or my 2 - 1/2" benchmade depending on what I am doing that day.

In my back pack for hunting I have my 6"Schrade Old Timer for cutting bone if I have to,My 4" Benchmark and 6" dexter filley knife for opening up the cavity and gutting.

I know several guys who carry a filet knife solely to use as a "bunghole knife" while field dressing.

I figured that you would certainly carry a cutting instrument of some description, Growie, due to all the gardening, carpentry and other outside work that you do.

Yep.... but funny thing is I always end up needing pliers more...that why I have a couple of multi tools...one always stays in my hunting fanny pac...I always have a Schrade folding knife in my vehicle..along with wire cutters ,a hammer ratchet straps and nails...lol ....never know...and I'll tell ya....the plastic container that nestle powdered chocolate comes in....make great ratchet strap holders perfect size

I've carried a pocket knife since I was about 15 years old. Had and lost many over the years. Currently I'm carrying a Smith & Wesson First Edition folder. It has an ~2-1/4" clip-point and a 2-1/4" razor blade. It holds a mean edge!

I was at a tool show and this guy was selling knife shapeners and asking people to give him their knife and he'd show them it couldn't cut paper. Well I gave him mine... he cut the paper without any hesitation and then just handed it back to me - quickly. (It was too sharp for his liking... I told him. "If you think this is sharp, you should to see my hunting knife!").

I've carried a pocket knife since I was about 15 years old. Had and lost many over the years. Currently I'm carrying a Smith & Wesson First Edition folder. It has an ~2-1/4" clip-point and a 2-1/4" razor blade. It holds a mean edge!

I was at a tool show and this guy was selling knife shapeners and asking people to give him their knife and he'd show them it couldn't cut paper. Well I gave him mine... he cut the paper without any hesitation and then just handed it back to me - quickly. (It was too sharp for his liking... I told him. "If you think this is sharp, you should to see my hunting knife!").

A sharp knife is a safe knife!

• Like 1

Knives are cool. My current carry weapon is a Buck Special Edition. I've lost a bunch of knives over the years. Some i really miss to this day, some i never want to see again.LOL And working the stone is almost therapudic. When i'm super stressed or board, putting a new edge on the blades seems to make things better.

I carry my Swiss Army Hunter knife 95% of the time. I bought the red one in Germany about 15 years ago and using the gut blade and saw does wonders on a Whitetail deer. Best knife I ever had besides my Buck 110! That's a quarter next to the knife to give a size comparison. The deer on the knife is a Roebuck.