12 killed, 38 hurt in Colorado shooting

burmjohn

The mental illness of this young man is the real issue at hand. Having said that I am not opposed to stricter or more stringent gun control over sight. Provided that our existing gun control laws are enforced.

I personally believe gun ownership is a privilege and not a guaranteed right. In many cases it is to easy for nut bags like this guy to amass way to much fire power.

There are a lot of challenging issues surrounding these types of conversations and I know that I have more questions than answers.

I do believe as gun owners our response needs to be a lot more thoughtful than "guns don't kill people" people kill people.

I know this guy could have killed people using a number of other methods. Really challenging stuff!

You have to wonder just how many gun control laws are enough. For decades, we have written and passed more laws regarding gun control than we will ever be able to completely understand. Volumes of local, state and federal laws have filled up law books to the point where every aspect other than outright firearms bans have been covered multiple times. What kind of additional laws will be the magic solution.

I keep hearing that we need to pass more laws to somehow screen out these wackos from ever getting a gun, but the fact is that no one seems to recognize that humans often react randomly. And there really is no way of controlling the entire U.S. citizenry to the extent that you can eliminate all possibilities of some random person flipping out. It is nice to say, "there ought to be a law to ..... ", but I am more interested in what specific laws do people think would eliminate these unpredictable acts. I don't hear a lot of that kind of useful discussion. But I know where a lot of that kind of thinking usually gets to when you press people on this. That would be the complete elimination of firearms in the country.

• Like 1

But shouldnt the alarm have gone off when he propped the emergency door open? Unless of course he disabled it. Again more questions than answers and i think we will never really know why he did what he did.

Sure we do ...... His brain got twisted. It happens. He went Cuckoo. He's not the first. He won't be the last. And whatever was going on in his head was probably very logical to him, but I don't ever expect to be able to understand any of it ..... thankfully.

Why he went cuckoo is the real question. He had a bachelors in neuroscience and was a phd candidate in neuroscience at univ colorado. I just read that he was having academic trouble. . Too much pressure perhaps that made him snap? Or maybe his dog told him to do it (a la David Berkowitz)?

But shouldnt the alarm have gone off when he propped the emergency door open? Unless of course he disabled it. Again more questions than answers and i think we will never really know why he did what he did.

Youd think it should have gone off. He is a wack job, plain and simple. He told the cops he was The Joker and painted his face up like it.

The mental illness of this young man is the real issue at hand. Having said that I am not opposed to stricter or more stringent gun control over sight. Provided that our existing gun control laws are enforced.

I personally believe gun ownership is a privilege and not a guaranteed right. In many cases it is to easy for nut bags like this guy to amass way to much fire power.

There are a lot of challenging issues surrounding these types of conversations and I know that I have more questions than answers.

I do believe as gun owners our response needs to be a lot more thoughtful than "guns don't kill people" people kill people.

I know this guy could have killed people using a number of other methods. Really challenging stuff!

Fortunantly for the rest of us you are mistaken and gun ownership IS a guaranteed right.

• Like 2

I had stated my "personal opinion" had said that prior to any new gun laws being enacted I would want to see all the existing ones be enforced. I had also stated that this is a very challenging issue and I had more questions than answers.

As gun owners we need to have a more thoughtful response than "s--t happens, people are nuts, oh well etc.. At the very least we have to demonstrate we care.

If the NRA was smart they would create a fund or ear mark monies to go toward mental health issues. It may be symbolic but it would a smart move that would benefit all of us.

I knew my comments wouldn't necessarily be popular with some. If we don't take the initiative to address some of these gun violence issues others who are not as sensitive to our concerns will and that will not be to our advantage.

DeerThug said it on page 1, if someone in the theater was carrying, this would have ended differently. If Colin Ferguson shot up the LIRR on the south shore instead of the north shore he'd have been dead real quick. and I'll bet in either case if those f**ks were looking down the barrel of a gun, they'd have lost their killer machismo real fast.

I had stated my "personal opinion" had said that prior to any new gun laws being enacted I would want to see all the existing ones be enforced. I had also stated that this is a very challenging issue and I had more questions than answers.

As gun owners we need to have a more thoughtful response than "s--t happens, people are nuts, oh well etc.. At the very least we have to demonstrate we care.

If the NRA was smart they would create a fund or ear mark monies to go toward mental health issues. It may be symbolic but it would a smart move that would benefit all of us.

I knew my comments wouldn't necessarily be popular with some. If we don't take the initiative to address some of these gun violence issues others who are not as sensitive to our concerns will and that will not be to our advantage.

I disagree. Instead as gun owners we should insist that the media cover those events when a gun is used to save innocent lives. Currently they only cover times like this when a gun is used to take innocent life. The NRA's only mission is to preserve our constituional guarantee to keep and bear arms.

.......As gun owners we need to have a more thoughtful response than "s--t happens, people are nuts, oh well etc.. At the very least we have to demonstrate we care.

If the NRA was smart they would create a fund or ear mark monies to go toward mental health issues. It may be symbolic but it would a smart move that would benefit all of us.......

Just what form should this public self-flagellation take in order to adequately "demonstrate we care"? There are many who would consider nothing short of total surrender of firearms would ever demonstrate that we care. Frankly I am getting a bit sick of the inference that it is somehow the fault of legal gun owners everytime wack-jobs like this go over the edge. It is not up to us to capitulate and support further gun control everytime someone mis-uses firearms. And by the way, it is not up to the NRA to donate our money to correction of mental health issues. I hate to be so blunt, but that is just a plain old goofy idea. Honestly, I don't know what gets into some people's minds. They think that every episode of gun violence has to be met with a pound of flesh from every gun owner and gun advocacy organization. Where the heck does that kind of mentality come from?

Didn't read all but from what I read

1.) Thank God he was taken alive....due to the booby trapped apartment

2.) They interviewed a couple of ppl that have studied these types...most are NOT crazy in a medical sense of the term..... delusional ...Narcissistic....yes

3.) Yes had a movie goer been armed this would not have gone as far as it did...he did not suit up in all that gear because he wanted to die

Take all the guns you want away from ppl and you will NEVER deter these type of actions...I'll go as far to say it would make them worse...for a person can take out many more targets with bombs and fires.... now chemical devises than a clip full of bullets...determination in these types is the only factor

• Like 2

Great thought line....make legal guns tougher to get so the sheep are really at the mercy of the wolves. Poster child for what is wrong with the country. I would rather see mandatory training for EVERYONE.

I have never had body arnmor on and never been shot with it one.....I do know one Officer that was shot in the chest with a 45 while wearing it. It took him off his feet. Said it felt like someone hit him in the chest with a full swing baseball bat. That armor with stop the penetration but will still allow the release of the energy. This guy wanted the spot light. I think if he really wanted to do damage and was willing to die there would have been an explosion at the end of the slaughter. He must have had the smarts to build a bomb...he did it at his apartment. I believe if he was confronted he would have folded.

• Like 1

I dont know about him folding, dont you guys remember the LA bank shootout years ago? The robbers wore the same type of body armor as this guy and each took many many rounds from officers before being taken out by high powered rifles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

I think that the chances of an untrained individual, going up against that kind of firepower and protection, being very effective are pretty slim.

Dont get me wrong, I fully support the right to carry, I just dont think that Joe Blow with his 9mm would have had a chance in this situation. If it was a trained individual, maybe.

For the most part a brain storm in this thread would be a really light drizzle.

Everybody is okay with a guy buying two Glocks, a shotgun and an AR and 6000 rounds of ammo, including buck shot and head to toe body armor. Over a short period of time with no additional scrutiny?

If police authorities were aware of this do you think they may have paid some additional attention to this nut bag?

I know we dont want to impose on his individual freedoms! This has nothing to do with sheep and wolves or being goofy. It has to do with responsible gun sales and responsible gun ownership. I believe it should be more difficult than it was for this guy to amass the weapons and ammo that he did. Call me goofy, crazy, a communist etc. I guarantee the families of the dead and injured wouldn't think I am any of those things.

I have no problem being held to whatever scrutiny any federal or state agency wants to hold me to. No responsible gun owner should. Now before any of you get your panties in a bunch. I am a life time gun owner, long time NRA member, member of the republican party, own a business that employs 14 staff, serve on two volunteer boards and wouldn't vote for Barrack Obama if he was the only one running.

If you are going to reach to insult me you are going to have to dig deeper than bumper sticker slogans and the other bubble gum stuff.

If you are going to reach to insult me you are going to have to dig deeper than bumper sticker slogans and the other bubble gum stuff.

spitcoffee.gif

The brain storm line....classic.

Posted Today, 04:14 PM

Everybody is okay with a guy buying two Glocks, a shotgun and an AR and 6000 rounds of ammo, including buck shot and head to toe body armor. Over a short period of time with no additional scrutiny?

As I said I did not read all responses ...but would hardly think any of us didn't take note of that...I know I did...but it was all bought at different places and well it isn't NYS...here if you buy a rifle or shot gun you.... need to register for a federal background check...unless privately owned...so the two stores... if it's federal should have taken care of that...as far as the armor...I don't know where or when he got it but I doubt that type of purchase is tract...perhaps it should be...but they obviously can't handle what they are suppose to be tracking now

If police authorities were aware of this do you think they may have paid some additional attention to this nut bag?

I know we dont want to impose on his individual freedoms! This has nothing to do with sheep and wolves or being goofy. It has to do with responsible gun sales and responsible gun ownership. I believe it should be more difficult than it was for this guy to amass the weapons and ammo that he did. Call me goofy, crazy, a communist etc. I guarantee the families of the dead and injured wouldn't think I am any of those things.

I have no problem being held to whatever scrutiny any federal or state agency wants to hold me to. No responsible gun owner should. Now before any of you get your panties in a bunch. I am a life time gun owner, long time NRA member, member of the republican party, own a business that employs 14 staff, serve on two volunteer boards and wouldn't vote for Barrack Obama if he was the only one running.

Yet you can't wait to give up your liberty and mine too.

I dont know about him folding, dont you guys remember the LA bank shootout years ago? The robbers wore the same type of body armor as this guy and each took many many rounds from officers before being taken out by high powered rifles.

http://en.wikipedia....lywood_shootout

I think that the chances of an untrained individual, going up against that kind of firepower and protection, being very effective are pretty slim.

Dont get me wrong, I fully support the right to carry, I just dont think that Joe Blow with his 9mm would have had a chance in this situation. If it was a trained individual, maybe.

I believe it was this incident that brought about the body armor drill. I may be wrong though and it may have been that one and some others combined. Anyway, the police at that time were trained to shoot center mass and the body armor defeated their pistol rounds and they just never thought to shoot them in the head. Most of the cops were too far away from the shooters for head shots with a handgun but not all were and those that were close enough shot center mass. Later training taught the body armor drill and also cops were given rifles for patrol so they wouldn't be out gunned like that again.. Joe blow with a 9mm and a bit of competance could defeat the guy. That is joe blow has a chance of defeating him if he tries. If nobody tries then the guy can't be defeated.

• Like 1

Actually, probably couldnt have happened in a better yr. Being that an election is coming up. If I remember right a few yrs ago the Dems got their as--s handed to them in an election and it was attributed to their assault on gun liberties during the Clinton , I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Presidency. Im sure they remember that pretty well, if not they are dumber than I thought.