How do you shoot?

nybuckboy

This is a 4 part question. After you draw back...

Do you draw down on the target?

Do you rise up on the target?

Do you float the pin on the target and then release?

Do you hold right on target and release?

OR do you something entirely different?

I draw back and then rise up on the target and float the pin on to the target and release.

I place the pin on the target even before I draw back and then withtout removing the pin from the target, I draw back slowly. Of course it's impossible to not completely tremble at all but for the most part, I try to keep my pin on the target the whole time.

I hold the bow on target as i draw the bow back and find my ancor. As the pins start to float naturally on the spot i begin the trigger sequence by pulling back and squeezing til the trigger breaks. This is how i try to practice but hunting is slightly different in one way. The proceedure is the same but with a more purposely controlled trigger as apossed to a surprise release.

• Like 1

HHmm...mostly because I shoot a low poundage...I calculate the direction they seem to be gong in...Draw when the are a bit out of where I see they are heading and wait for the opening ...when they hit it ....I firm my anchor and aim behind the shoulder...I don't use sights so there's no lining pins and such...just form anchor and tip of arrow...not sure I explained that right...if they've appeared out of know where...I'll wait until they pass and heads behind a tree...then lead to opening ahead of them and zero into kill zone...depending on distance away I'll drop in right on...or a tad low

When I practice both stand and ground I time how long I can hold steady...it builds the length of time I can hold at full draw without any stress

I hold on target as I draw. If I stop doing that then I know Im tired and stop shooting for a bit. Next I get the pin floating on target, exhale and squeeze the trigger. It usually gives me a surprise shot, which is what Im going for.

x2 I was taught to draw while always pointing at the target... that way if you accidently release you'll be close to where you were aiming.

Btw, if you cant draw while pointing at the target, and need to hold the bow high while drawing, you are pulling too much weight. I started out shooting 70lbs, then backed down to 65, then 63 Which is the magic number for me. I went through a year of drawing high before someone told me I was overbowed, and I adjusted from there.

Btw, if you cant draw while pointing at the target, and need to hold the bow high while drawing, you are pulling too much weight. I started out shooting 70lbs, then backed down to 65, then 63! Which is the magic number for me. I went through a year of drawing high before someone told me I was overbowed, and I adjusted from there.

And you listened which most people don't.

I know that it is taught to hold on target then push and pull at the same time to draw the bow while doing so . When I started shooting in the back yard I started drawing the bow while holding down and then raising the bow to the target . I did this so I wouldn't accidentally launch an arrow . I have a very thick area beyond my target but i'd rather be safe than sorry .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well said Fisher 2 also would like to mention there should be a step in your shot sequence to acquire the target before drawing.Drawing and coming up from the bottom is a waste of energy and can usually led to freezing a symptom of target panic.Target aquisition drills can help break this habit.Draw bow find target float pin and dont let pin drop when it does let down and start over.This drill is hard but soon you'll acquire target and be able to hold on without dropping.Dont fire an arrow.

I usually draw back on target, anchor/aim and float over proper pin. I find I am usually about 3 inches below to level with target upon anchor set causing a slight rise and float on proper pin. Interesting shoot today at Suffolk Archers, they counted any shot out of the 8 ring a minus 2. Which I had 2 just out ARG! Kills your score... Good fun for all and great practice! Meet a cool guy for the 2nd time at the shoot and was invited to hunt in chenango county, hope that works out!!! Ahhh I love preping for hunting!!! It means the time is close!!! 30 days to be ready next day its on!!! GETSOME Baby!!!

As I push pull as the bow comes up to the target ...set my kisser where I belongs then - the bad habit I hate- I close my left eye to focus through my peep. Once I feel comfortable with my hold I open my eye and allo the pin to float on target...then squeeze.

I have been working on not closing one eye prior to shooting but it is a product of poor shot gunning when I first started to shoot. I still close an eye when bird hunting . just can't kick it but I'm a surprisingly good shot that way.

I shoot instinctively which I think is the best way to practice for a hunting situation .... I here most guys float the pin and squeeze until the trigger releases, but for some reason I end up torking the bow. I draw back, find my anchor before even looking at my sight picture, then with two eyes open rise up on the target just below, then squint one eye(not close) and inch up, as the pin hit the target I release(not punching trigger)... you figure in a hunting situation, more often than not a deer is not gonna pose all day for you to find your target, breath out, and slowly squeeze, that is if you can keep your composure lol... for me it works well to draw, get the pin on the heart and inch up just a tad n release.... because your not floating the pin you have less chance of getting trigger panic... still a surprise release to me cause im concentrating on rising the pin up ever so slightly and something clicks in my head to release where it needs to be...