School Taxes what do you pay ?

HectorBuckBuster

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all feel your frustration!!!!

Highway maintenance is probably a very small portion of your county's budget.

Look-up your county's budget online, it's public record. You'd be amazed!

Assessments and equity is a folly at best.

You can fight this, but only with facts or data and only to a point.

GunDeck, I am guessing your brother in laws lives in Seneca Falls - Waterloo Area. A friends dad has a house on like .34 acres on Cayuga Lake with 200 Foot Lake Frontage and his taxes are $10,000 a year between school and property.

You can look up some School Taxes in NY State on this site

http://www.taxlookup.net/

How did they ever convince landowners that just because they hold a deed, that is supposed to indicate that you are rolling in dough and can take on the costs of running schools and local governments while those who rent skate out from under that little burden. That must have been some con job.

It's just like I've always said, you never really own your land. You simply rent it from the government. And if you don't believe that just try witholding your property taxes some time, or building something without permission from the town zoning board. They have established your ever-increasing rent and still maintain control on what you are allowed to do with your property. That sounds like a government landlord to me.

Doc

I have to agree the renters do skate from taxes Ialso feel who ever has children in school should pay school tax however we have to put the burden on land owners that isnt ok if you have no school age children you should be only responsible for the property you have

I have to agree the renters do skate from taxes Ialso feel who ever has children in school should pay school tax however we have to put the burden on land owners that isnt ok if you have no school age children you should be only responsible for the property you have

The landlord / owner is the one paying the taxes.  So in essence the renter is paying the taxes.

The landlord / owner is the one paying the taxes.  So in essence the renter is paying the taxes.

True, the landlord is paying the taxes. However the inequity comes into play when the landlord rents an illegal apartment, does not report the income, and the tenant has children that attend public school.

Where I live this topic is a political powder-keg which no politician is willing to address.

You guys really don't think that the occupants of rentals pay the same kinds of taxes (directly or indirectly) that landowners do. I have been on both sides of that situation, and the assessments for rentals do not go according to the actual numbers of occupants or anywhere near it and those properties per occupant are assessed a whole lot lower than single family residents. The landlord is assessed on the value of his building, not on the number of renters he houses. So when you look at who's using and demanding educational and municipal services vs. who is paying for them and how much, it's pretty easy to see who is getting the nearly free ride. Remember, we are talking taxes, so don't confuse the situation by adding in such things as equity and never mind what it costs those people to provide a roof and heat and walls and such. That's all irrelevant to the discussion of taxation. That is a problem or benefit of one's financial planning, not taxation which is what we are talking about here. If you want to see who is paying what in property taxes, you have to look strictly at assessments and how many families are splitting up the tax burden.

Here's a simple example of one situation that I looked up. We have a house down the road which is about the same size, design, age, and value as mine. the assessments are within a couple hundred dollars and therefore the tax burden per property is nearly identical. That house has been subdivided and rented and houses two families that have school age kids crawling all over the place. So even if the house owner passes on 100% of his taxes, each of those two families is contributing only half as much to supporting the school and the local government as I am. That is how they are skating on the taxation. And there is nothing unique about this situation. The same principle applies whether it is a two family subdivision, or an official multi-story apartment complex. Nobody is assessed according to the number of occupants. They are assessed on building value. Also I might point outthat the more run down the tenement house is, the sweeter the deal from a taxation standpoint.

Doc