Dogs on the trailcams

ryanrobb52

For the last few months i have been getting trail cam pics of a few nice bucks, one of which will be my target for the upcoming season. Last week however, when checking the cam photos i noticed a pic of someones dog on my trail cam. Unfortunately i didnt get a person with the dog so i dont know who to confront. Its a 150 acre puece that my father and i own and it is posted. My questions are this:

1. Will the smell of a domestic dog push the deer out of the area?

2. What are my rights if the dog returns when I'm in the stand? Do i try to catch the dog and turn it over to the pound?

Thoughts?

You cannot do anything to the dog unless it is attacking you. I would call the dec and let them know there is a dog chasing things in the area. A couple of people got in some big trouble for dipatching a dog during hunting season saying it was chasing a deer when it wasn't, it was just messing up there stand buy running throught it. The dog turned out to be a champion rabbit dog and the guy payed through the nose after he shot it. We have to remember not every hunter in deer season is hunting deer.

As for the odor of the dogs scaring the deer away I don't think that will be much of the issue. If they are chasing them around that is a different story.

1) Your deer will adapt very fast to a dog in the area.

2) Check with the local police. (I'm sure they love those type of calls) Good luck catching the pooch!

I wouldn't worry too much about a dog running around. Check with the neighbors and see who has a dog that looks like your movie star. Advise them to keep 'em tied up.

One dog wandering through, one time doesn't constitute a serious problem for the deer. It is the same as a coyote wandering through the area. Two dogs would be a more concern for a potential problem. Two or more dogs in deep snow (especially crusted snow) could be cause for a lot of concern. I have seen a few cases of domestic dogs running loose and raising havoc on the local herd. It's not a pretty sight. When they get together and into a pack mentality, they can be quite efficient deer killers under the right weather conditions. And absolutely they can affect the movements and levels of caution of deer in the area.

However, one lone dog under most circumstances is no problem, and most likely you will never see him again. But, I would caution you against taking matters into your own hands. There are almost no situations where you are legally able to get rid of a dog. And every so often you will read about people getting into some pretty big trouble trying to take care of problem stray dogs. Personally, if I were to be tempted to remove a stray, I would not even mention any knowledge of the dog on a public forum.

So...I've had this problem...a lot....what the DEC told me was I need to get pics...so now I carry not only a good camera but a video camera and I have bino camera...cell phone pics don't cut it....I've sent ppl to court...and it is a rather big fine for dogs chasing deer...document every thing...I did shoot a dog that I thought was caught on brush...I saw it tugging and had heard the barking for well over a half hour...thank God I was hunting for when I came up to it a Yellow Lab...it turned and charged me blood all over it's chest and muzzle foaming at the mouth...had just enough time to click safety and shoot from my knee/thigh...missed it and hit the choc. lab I didn't even see...he veered away at the shot...they were eating a doe alive...that I ended up putting down...never saw her through the brush...called state troopers and they came out...DEC told me I was lucky to have a gun...for they were in a feeding frenzy and he would have gone for my throat...I have no doubt that was true...The trooper gave a tag for doe went and found the owner...picking lead out of labs but ..but he'd hidden the yellow....That dog died a year later....heart attack from chasing deer...the owner was stupid enough to tell me in conversation....All they did was give a warning...so you need to be on top of it and make the authorities do something and you press charges...I now make that clear from the get go

Back when I was a kid, we raised sheep and were almost put out of business by a pack of dogs. The nice friendly dog that our kids pet and love becomes a bit of a throw-back beast when they run free and team up with some neighborhood buddys. These dogs were not interested in killing. Most of the sheep died later of wounds and also shock. The dogs just kept running from one to another having fun tearing chunks out each one. They also exhibit a certain amount of wild cunning that one would only expect from some kind of creature that lives in the woods. I remember one time right after a couple of nights in row of attacks when we spent 3 nights in the hay loft with guns (exciting stuff for a kid of 11). They showed up the day after we gave up and went back in the house. probably relying on scent they knew we were there and just like anything wild, they knew to stay away.

The sheriff finally caught up with them and busted up the pack. It turned out that they were just neighborhood pets that were allowed to run free.

Had a damn dog come on my sister in law's property when I was bow hunting . I was tempted t shoot it but knew better . The dog messed up my hunting on two occasions . I took pictures and showed them to my SIL . She said it was her neighbor's and talked to them . They sad that they couldn't control the dog . My SIL said they had better if they wanted to keep it . I didn't see the dog again .

I had a problem 2 seasons ago. Actually you can read all about it in my journal from that year! I had two dogs running deer behind the house. Multiple times on stand had them chase deer past me. I talked to DEC, police and finally the dog controll officer for the town. He is the one who finally helped out. Pics are real good so you can have positive identification. They were dogs of a newer neighbor and it took a couple visits from the DCO and one from me and they finally got things under control. Ruined a lot of hunts for me and harassed a lot of deer. I was temped let me tell you to take care of it myself but I really would hate to do that. Usually not the dogs fault but the owners and as others said is against the law and you could be held liable for damages.

All towns have animal control (dog lease) laws. Can get a copy from the Town Clerk. They can give you the name of the local animal control officer, typically a part-timer. You need proof (visual) of whose dog it is. Keep a log of when photos were taken, sightings of dog(s) on your property, was it chasing any wildlife, etc. Give the owner a copy of the dog lease law, stating that just in case they weren't aware and say you prefer if their dog didn't enter your property. If the owners need more persuasion, tell them you have traps out & wouldn't want to see their dog getting hurt. You can file a formal complaint with the Town Justice, when you have enough evidence if it gets to that point. Most people that let their dogs run, really don't care about what a nusiance they are to you. And if they don't care about that, probably don't license their dog(s) either. Like others have said, if you do something to their dog you no longer are the victim in the situation.

Last year I had 2 different dogs on the trailcams. It didn't seem to have any effect on the deer movement. If these are local "farm dogs" that occasionally go for a stroll, the deer are probably used to them. That's just part of life in rural NY. If they are chasing or routinely on camera, I would be more concerned. The most interesting domestic critter I got on camera was this past July when I got great shots of a Holstein cow on the cam a mile from the nearest dairy farm.

Many years ago on the eastern part of Long Island there was a problem with packs of wild dogs( at one time someones puppy) which destroyed there new rug or furniture and were dropped off in the woods.The were killing to stay alive.You were allowed to dispatche them if seen killing domestic animals.But now in the DEC hunting guide you are Not allowed to shoot a dog during hunting season even if chasing a deer.

I would have a hard time dispatching a domestic dog even if it were legal.

Lol .... I always have the same dilemma, and have really never figured out why. A lot of people have that same problem with shooting coyotes and foxes ... they are just too "dog-like". Why is it that even we hunters pick and choose which species are suitable for killing? Strange, isn't it?