A sad day for New York hunters

noodle one

Thanks for highlighting that SteveB. Similar results have been shown in other states, too. In a nutshell AR's have done little to nothing to change the yearling buck take. You have guys kill a decent buck in these AR areas and they give full credit to the AR rule, like a decent buck had never been shot before in these areas. Good bucks are taken EVERYWHERE and always have been. Some people get them by luck, others thru skill and patience. Implementing AR's is simply a quick fix solution for a generation that wants quick fixes for everything.

AR has worked in PA. We are starting to see really nice bucks every yr. Understand "trophy" differs from hunter to hunter. Personally - if you want better/more bucks in NY then only kill one. You get one buck tag-you pick the method: gun/bow/muzzldr. This would instantly improve buck #'s.

The bucks are bigger here in PA since AR, I agree.

But, you have to admit, there are more unhappy deer hunters in PA than there used to be before AR. Part of the mistake they made (or conservation measure, depending on who you ask) was giving out a lot more doe tags at the same time they implemented AR. Overall, deer numbers are way down across the state.

I guess it all comes down to your hunting preference...meat hunter or antlers. I've killed some big bucks before, antlers don't excite me much any more.

"Hi, I am Bob and I would like to shoot a big antlered buck every year"...lol. I guess admitting it is half the battle

I love this! "Hi, I am Steve863 and I go out of my way to shoot the dinkiest bucks I can find to piss off AR supporters on the huntingny.com forum". Always a good thing to acknowledge our demons, that's for darned sure! LOL

Edited by steve863

Although I'm not in favor of AR's, I am willing to accept it and see how it goes, I've already gone years without shooting a buck so I won't be devastated if I have to wait to get one again. I do think that it should be statewide instead of targeting a select group of hunter's, I can't imagine any area is overrun with huge bucks, but maybe I'm wrong.

Where in the state do you hunt? These freaking statewide comments kill me You guys have no freaking clue what the situations are in the entire state. Do you haev do permits where you hunt? Big chunks of the state DON'T. what do we say to these hunters?

This herd health stuff is crap. ...tightening a breeding window so the fawns don't get taken by predators? if the herd was in such a need of that protection the populations would be in a decreasing state. Over most fot eh SZ the doe tags sure look like they have increased since I have been hunting. SO let's quit freaking around. IT IS ABOUT HAVING MORE MATURE BUCKS WHICK EQUALS BIGGER ANTLERS AND EQUALS MORE/EASIER OPPORTUNITIES. So let's save teh other BS...This is what the push for AR is about.

Regardless of anyones feelings about AR the restrictions do work. I have hunted PA for the past dozen years or so and was there before AR strted (3 pt rule) and through until 2010 when i lost my land.

In the beginning it sucked but you saw more deer. All the little guys that got the pass. Then after it was implemented for several years seeing multiple 2.5 and 3.5 year olds with a few 1.5 yr old bucks scattered in chasing does and rutting like crazy quickly makes you a firm believer.

Now i have family that meat hunts and are not fans of AR because u cant make antler soup but after it is implemented (not that anyone has a choice) it will turn around and after you are seeing more deer and getting bigger bucks you will tend to favor it.

Just my opinion.

How did you lose your land?

Nobody should expect to see B&C bucks by the millions in any of the AR zones with a 3 on a side rule.. the programs where merely designed to protect yearling bucks... regardless of who does or doesn't like it, the program has been successful in reaching its goal "to protect the majority of yearling bucks". After 100 years of managing the NY herds for small bucks.. the DEC has decided to make a move to see how it would be to manage for a diverse age class of bucks... and frankly... the majority of hunters are onboard... and of the remaining that aren't onboard most of them are neutral...only a small group is totally against the idea. Unfortunately, that's pretty much how it works in the world. Nothing gets 100% approval there are always some that just go against the grain... That's how we got liberals.. :sarcastic:

Edited by nyantler

Now with AR in most DMP zones I thinK it is about time to start thinking about outlawing treestand shooting so we find out who the true hunters are in NY state. If everyone has to hunt off the ground, it would save a lot of people from being hurt and or killed from treestand falls. Lets get the form letters started now. Think of all the people this would save and find the true hunters

• Like 1

You will find dead bucks laying in the woods that are to small to be legal AR bucks. People will shoot first and then look to see if it is a legal buck, and if not they will walk away. PA is having that problem now and ever since they started AR. Go to the PA hunting forums to found out yourself..

You will find dead bucks laying in the woods that are to small to be legal AR bucks. People will shoot first and then look to see if it is a legal buck, and if not they will walk away. PA is having that problem now and ever since they started AR. Go to the PA hunting forums to found out yourself..

NO EXCUSE FOR THAT!!!!! every one of those hunters has a tire iron...lol just kidding

so just was reading new regulation book and to my suprise what does it say ARs are not necessary to maintain a healthy herd in ny

It's not just about healthy enough.. it's about a more stable structure of buck ages and buck doe ratios...and that means a "healthier", more balanced deer herd... What would human society be like if none of the males got older and 80-90 % of the males were teenagers running things?... there wouldn't be a hell of a lot of experience or wisdom.. life would go on yes, but things wouldn't be even as stable as they are now.. and they aren't that stable now... not that mankind wouldn't survive, just not as well as it would with older generations of males to help balance things out.

What would human society be like if none of the males got older and 80-90 % of the males were teenagers running things?... there wouldn't be a hell of a lot of experience or wisdom.. life would go on yes, but things wouldn't be even as stable as they are now.. and they aren't that stable now... not that mankind wouldn't survive, just not as well as it would with older generations of males to help balance things out.

Ha-ha ... probably not the best analogy in the world. I'm not sure mankind would survive ... lol.

It's not just about healthy enough.. it's about a more stable structure of buck ages and buck doe ratios...and that means a "healthier", more balanced deer herd... What would human society be like if none of the males got older and 80-90 % of the males were teenagers running things?... there wouldn't be a hell of a lot of experience or wisdom.. life would go on yes, but things wouldn't be even as stable as they are now.. and they aren't that stable now... not that mankind wouldn't survive, just not as well as it would with older generations of males to help balance things out.

Isn't that "Lord Of The Flies"?