Looks like the Columbus Day Youth season is on!

Buckstopshere

Mixed views.

It is great to get youth involved.

However, for our particular area where I hunt in Allegany county, the non-sportsmen hunters will have their kids in the woods giving it a terrific workover. This will be great for them to get an early start and drive the heck out of the woods. For three days on a holiday weekend.

I believe they will spook the deer.

• Like 1

Mixed views.

It is great to get youth involved.

However, for our particular area where I hunt in Allegany county, the non-sportsmen hunters will have their kids in the woods giving it a terrific workover. This will be great for them to get an early start and drive the heck out of the woods. For three days on a holiday weekend.

I believe they will spook the deer.

What is a non-sportsman hunter?

Disrespect for other folks in the woods.

Example, they know who is in a stand. They will drive right through you.

If they see someone standing by a tree waiting for deer, they will drive through them.

Yelling in the woods.

Locals call them Buffalo hunters. And heck, I'm from the Buffalo area. Respect in the woods to the hunting environment and fellow hunters is what defines a sportsmen hunter from my view. All around ethics, it's not just about following the law.

They don't bowhunt, that is what intialliy got me into bowhunting.

Edited by tony m

Don't think they get spooked by all the weekend warriors coming down on weekends for the previous month,hammering up stands,hanging stands,ladders, cutting their firewood for season, starting fires cause its chilly at night, riding their atvs out in the woods, scouting, taking the kids and dogs out for a walk in the woods? Not to mention an increase in traffic on roads while out spotting, or just getting to camp? Deer know season is comming just by the increase in human intrusion into their world for the whole month before. The extra hunter in the woods will just be the same as before opening day of regular firearms season. Beside, small game, phesant hunters,duck and goose hunters being out as well. It won't change things much if at all....

Disrespect for other folks in the woods.

Example, they know who is in a stand. They will drive right through you.

If they see someone standing by a tree waiting for deer, they will drive through them.

Yelling in the woods.

Locals call them Buffalo hunters. And heck, I'm from the Buffalo area. Respect in the woods to the hunting environment and fellow hunters is what defines a sportsmen hunter from my view. All around ethics, it's not just about following the law.

They don't bowhunt, that is what intialliy got me into bowhunting.

Gottcha. What about the small game guys? They are tromping through the woods, running dogs, etc. Honestly, I doubt youll have much to worry about, and if you are that worried, just take 3 days off. No biggie.

I was out of state for the weekend. I looked around the forum, but I haven't seen any postings of terrible youth weekend experiences. Did I miss them somewhere? Fill me in guys, how was it? Being serious here, I want to know if anyone had trouble? Thanks.

Well, in my little corner of the hunting world, it has come off as a non-event. State parking lots are empty today, and the couple of cars that were there over the weekend may very well have been bowhunters, small game hunters or hikers or bikers. It's actually quieter than usual.

It was quiet here in Allegany County...bow hunters bow hunted, squirrel hunters shot squirrels, leaf peekers peeked....quiet...except for the war hoops and thrills from the young hunters shooting their first deer!

http://www.wellsvill...k-for-Scio-teen

But somewhere in the state, I'm sure somebody will figure out something bad to say about it.

Edited by Buckstopshere

I hunted north all weekend and didn't see a soul... After reading this a week ago I was expecting armagheddon the way some guys were talking... surrounded by a bunch of little rug rats... dressed like pumpkins... having to duck around every corner to escape the hail of bullets ... I saw a bunch of kids fishing though on my way home.. I hope they weren't bothering any bowhunters...

• Like 1

Took my son out and he got a 6pt Saturday afternoon, we had a great time, I hope this youth hunt becomes a yearly event..........all the whining by those against it was for nothing, because as most have seen, it was no busier than usual in the woods and will have no impact on the remainder of the archery season.....the only good to come out of listening to all the complainer's, was it got me to cancel my membership with NYBowhunter's.

• Like 3