best socks

I dont mind wearing 2 pair of hunting socks but I still cant find a mix or stand alone pair that keeps feet warm when sitting all day. Any suggestions? I have a few types of medium and heavy weights, all with wool, nylon, polyester blends and I dont want to get the battery operated warmers. just need good socks for warm (but not sweaty) feet!

I wear a wool or wool blend (not too thick) as a first layer then a cotton sock over them. The cotton will pull the sweat away from your feet. Combined with a decent pair of insulated boots you should be all set. Works well for me anyway.

I wear a pair of Rocky Timberwolf 800gm insulated boots, maybe I will look at getting a pair of pac boots with a liner also. But will look for different sock combos first. sitting in 20 degrees in the am will be the coldest times of the season

I wear a pair of lacrosse polypropylene liner socks, a pair of cabelas heavy wieght wool socks, 1200 gram insulated lacrosse boots. My feet stay warm but don't get sweaty. And my feet normally get cold very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Edited by noahmstone

lol i dont even know what heavy socks are. i wear just plain ole ankle socks the whole season, but of course i am a very warm blooded person. my boots however is what i rely on for the warmth they are 1600gr. ive found layering socks or having a snugly fit boot just makes me overheat way to easy on the walk in and makes it extremely cold after an hr, so i buy my boots a half size bigger to allow some air flow and wear my regular socks. dont want to constrict bloodflow, thats how you stay warm.

I have 3 pair of boots I wear when planning to sit on stand, either on the ground or in a tree stand depending on the temperature.

Above freezing, I wear a pair of Muck boot Wetlands. Below freezing I wear a pair of Hodgeman 1200 down to about 10. Below that I wear a snowmobile type boot with the felt liners.

The socks I wear are always the same, a pair of polypropylene liner socks and a rag wool sock.

Still hunting is a different story. It's usually the Muck Boots above 20 and the Hodgemans below 20.

Edited by nybuckboy

I wear a pair of Rocky Timberwolf 800gm insulated boots, maybe I will look at getting a pair of pac boots with a liner also. But will look for different sock combos first. sitting in 20 degrees in the am will be the coldest times of the season

No way you will find a sock to keep your toes warm in those boots unless you use a heated sock or toe warmers.

Toe warmers (charcoal activated) are wonderful. I still wouldn't try and do it with those boots though. You should use a pac boot and decent socks (read that as merino wool). If you are still getting cold feet, stick a pair of the charcoal heaters to the bottom of your socks and enjoy your day.

Go buy some GOOD pac boots with liners and some Merino wool socks.

Here are some of the socks I have been using for over a year.....

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/omni-wool-multi-sport-hiker-fine-merino-wool-socks-3-pair/prod1620478.ip

Excellent deal and they are wearing very well. I bought two packs, 6 pair toatl and have only opened one pack. I use them year round.

Another good sock is the Merino wool collection from Browning. They also have been lasting.

(Note the price on the Sam's Club socks, VERY fair!

Heck by the time season is over half the time I cant find my gloves or mittens, and I even wear socks on my hands. It sure makes pulling the trigger tough though. Tell you what, it's a practice that keeps my hands warm but you have to remember to only hand wear the clean ones or you can't stand to wipe your nose on them when the cold gets the nose running..........lol!

• 3 years later...

Hey guys thought this might be useful. Last year I bought a pair of socks from http://www.elderhosiery.com  and they were awesome. My wife kept stealing them and she loved them as well. I bought them for hunting but ended up wearing them all year long. I bought the Merino wool boot sock called the Trapper, I bought the Pacboot sock and the 100% wool Huskie sock that they actually wear dog sledding in Alaska. 

I hope this helps with your search!! 

mysocks.png

• Like 1

I've tried all kinds of sock combinations but my feet always get cold on a long sit no matter the outside temps. My feet seem to sweat a lot and once the socks get wet it is only a matter of how long I can sit till my feet are cold. I've tried toe warmers, electric socks, and changing socks, nothing works. Where I hunt is very wet in the fall so rubber boots are a must. I've even tried putting unscented roll on antiperspirant on my feet before heading out, that seems to help but eventually I get cold. I've been looking at the themocell foot bed warmers but the reviews are not the best. 

I'm not a sitter so I don't know how much help I'll be but if your socks don't have wool as the first ingredient than you are asking for trouble! If it's really cold and I plan on sitting "usually ice fishing" I wear 1 pair of medium weight 100% virgin wool socks and a pair of Baffin boots. Never had a cold foot since I went to this set up. Make sure your boots aren't too tight and layering socks isn't the best idea because it will make your feet sweat faster when u r moving from the friction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said highest persentage merion wool socks. And I know this will get laughs but grab a pair of womens nilons put them on then the thicker socks. trust me it works great. Also I started wearing alpacha socks 2 years ago better then wool. Man are those things warm